TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

That sounds pretty annoying - I said to myself if there was ever a thunderstorm when I was there I would just just keep going through Shark Encounter on the moving floor until the lightening stopped. By the way, did you guys sleep at the top of the beluga exhibit or below at the underwater viewing?

That sounds pretty annoying - I said to myself if there was ever a thunderstorm when I was there I would just just keep going through Shark Encounter on the moving floor until the lightening stopped. By the way, did you guys sleep at the top of the beluga exhibit or below at the underwater viewing?

You sleep at the glass of the belugas, or some campers can sleep next to the harbor seals after the spots in front of the Belugas are all taken. I went to camp last year.

• 3 weeks later...

So SeaWorld is trending on Twitter tonight because one of the members of One Direction said at a concert not to go.

This one kind of falls on the shoulders of the people on Twitter bickering back and forth with the fans of One Direction.. this thing wouldn't have blown up if they weren't arguing with one of the biggest fan bases in existence. While I support SeaWorld and their fans, this obviously was not the smart thing to do. Just when you think this whole thing is blowing over, more fuel is added to the fire.

Edited by colinx

Just a thought here but as excited as I am about Mako, I was at the park for a few hours last Saturday, was there from around 10:30am-1pm on a Saturday in July and both coasters were a walk on. Maybe 10 minutes for Manta but never more than about a 3 train wait.

I hope Mako is a great addition for the park at this time. As average as I think Antartica is (and I have no idea what the capacity of that thing is) it always has a 30+ minute wait, so I can't help but wonder if something more family friendly like Cobra's Curse would have been a better option. We'll see!

I agree as well, I think they're two ways to look at it though. With a new coaster and knowledge that SeaWorld is becoming more a of a thrill park with the likes of Mako, Kraken, Journey and Manta.. it will bring in older crowds. It could be viewed as a missed opportunity for them to make something for the family again. However, I think that for the most part SeaWorld is a good park for families whose kids don't like the rides at all. But overall, its a waiting game to see how this affects the parks demographics/wait times.

Edit: Buy hey, I'm not one to complain about walk-on/near walk-on rides on B&Ms!

I waited to ride the Shamu coaster with my nephews for probably 20-30 minutes, so you all do mako a good point. I would definitely like to see a larger family coaster added to SWO. That being said, I can't wait to ride Mako, so if there are no lines then that's fine with me!

I've got a pass for BGT and Sea World but despite our intentions to at some point, my wife and I just haven't chosen to go back more than the one time we've went right now. There simply isn't a ton to do as full grown adults and we end up going to Busch Gardens every time. Mako is a ride that an adult like me will go out of their way for. I can't say the same for Kraken and Manta, though I like the former a lot and the latter, while not my thing, is at least unique. I could understand them adding a family style coaster instead, but on the surface it would seem that the park already has plenty going for it in terms of things families can do.

Cobras Curse is a no brainer for BGT even though I'm not all that excited about it. Cheetah Hunt is clearly the most popular ride the park, though I wouldn't say its the best the sheer demographics it can appeal is overwhelming compared to rides like Kumba and Sheikra. That combined with questionable capacity, its location near the front of the park looming over the entrance, and its still frustrating downtime has made Cheetah Hunt a ridiculous wait nearly constantly. Cobras Curse can take some of the slack in this area. I always dreamed of BGT getting hyper right where Cheetah Hunt is now, and though Cheetah Hunt is not a hyper it has some characteristics that a hyper would. In conjunction with Sheikra this would mean a hyper, though it would undoubtedly be a fantastic ride, wouldn't fill a huge gap in the coaster lineup.

I mean I don't think that Mako is a bad addition to the park by any means, it certainly adds something unique for the Orlando market and despite what we enthusiasts think about B&M hypers most park goers will love it. I just couldn't help but notice that while the park was packed on a Saturday in July the two exsting coasters had minimal lines. Now there may have been shows goin on that were packed so the lines were down or it was earlier in the day or something but SeaWorld feels more like a family park without any real "family coasters" or family rides other than Antartica. I have a pass and take my 3 year old all the time and love being able to sneak away to a walk on wait for Kraken, but a mid size coaster for her in a few years would be great.

If Cobra's Curse is as big of a hit as I think it will be hopefully soemthing similar makes it way to SeaWorld eventually.

Mako really isn't what's missing in Seaworld's collection, it's much more of a push into thrill rides. When I worked there, it was hard to tell guests during rainstorm that they could either sit in a restaurant or do Turtle Trek or Wild Arctic and that's it (Antartica's queue is long and outdoors). Compare that to the options at Universal or Magic Kingdom.

It's also difficult to tell families that the coaster's height requirements jump so dramatically from the Shamu kiddie to JTA (which is considered more of a wet water ride), then 54 inches for the next step. So really 38" to 54" and in-between kind of moot.

I always thought that a mine-train like ride or another proper dark ride (or a shooter) would fit in seamlessly. Something like Firechaser/West Coast Manta or Justice League would be great.

But then again I'm an adult and Mako absolutely sells me on an AP for next year!

I mean I don't think that Mako is a bad addition to the park by any means, it certainly adds something unique for the Orlando market and despite what we enthusiasts think about B&M hypers most park goers will love it.

What do you mean, "we enthusiasts"? I love B&M hypers, every one I've been on is a great ride experience! Not everybody who is, shall we say, more enthusiastic than normal regarding coasters, thinks they are tame! I am very excited to ride Mako, and considering that both of SWO's previous B&M coasters are in my Top 15 coasters overall, I have a feeling it'll be another great addition!

Mako really isn't what's missing in Seaworld's collection, it's much more of a push into thrill rides. When I worked there, it was hard to tell guests during rainstorm that they could either sit in a restaurant or do Turtle Trek or Wild Arctic and that's it (Antartica's queue is long and outdoors). Compare that to the options at Universal or Magic Kingdom.

It's also difficult to tell families that the coaster's height requirements jump so dramatically from the Shamu kiddie to JTA (which is considered more of a wet water ride), then 54 inches for the next step. So really 38" to 54" and in-between kind of moot.

I always thought that a mine-train like ride or another proper dark ride (or a shooter) would fit in seamlessly. Something like Firechaser/West Coast Manta or Justice League would be great.

But then again I'm an adult and Mako absolutely sells me on an AP for next year!

Totally Tounge in cheek, a Mack water cannon boat ride done to whaling .

But Mack has this on it's Web site

^Everyone says B&M hypers are tame unless the discussion comes to Diamondback (for some wierd reason)

I'm sure Mako will not disappoint, and will be a very "complete" ride

I'm not sure if you were more making a quip about Diamondback, or meant what you said, but I don't think B&M Hypers are tame, nor do most of the people - both GP and enthusiast - I know personally. So not "everyone" feels that way. Again, that is primarily an "enthusiast" attitude that I see only in circles such as these, and where people are judging "tame" by their own personal preference, not a tangible one...

I really don't know why, but when it was announced that it would be 200+ ft (and the manufacture wasn't announced) many people didn't want it to be a B&M because their hypers were "forceless" or "tame" (even though I completely disagree, I love B&M hypers! ). Also, yes I was making a quip about Diamondback

^Ok, I thought that must be what you were doing!

I DO know what you are referring to, after the announcement. I was surprised at all of the complaining, because I was quite excited about it! I suspect, as you do, that when all is said and done, the complainers will all ride it anyway, and really like it!

I really don't know why, but when it was announced that it would be 200+ ft (and the manufacture wasn't announced) many people didn't want it to be a B&M because their hypers were "forceless" or "tame" (even though I completely disagree, I love B&M hypers! ). Also, yes I was making a quip about Diamondback

I think what people misinterpret is that people aren't saying that B&M hypers are tame or forceless on their own, but they ARE compared to OTHER rides. Which I completely agree with. Case in point, let's take a look at the top 30 steel coasters from the last time Mitch's Steel Poll came out:

1, Expedition GeForce Holiday Park

2, New Texas Giant Six Flags Over Tex

3, Intimidator 305 Kings Dominion

4, Bizarro SF New England

5, Skyrush Hersheypark

6 Maverick Cedar Point

7, Kawasemi Tobu Zoo

8, Shambhala Port Aventura

9, Nemesis Alton Towers

10, Iron Rattler Six Flags Fiesta T

11, Katun Mirabilandia

12, Piraten Djurs Sommerland

13, Leviathan Canadas Wonderland

14, Millennium Force Cedar Point

15, Pyrenees Parque EspaNa

16, Montu Busch Gardens Tamp

17, Mega-Lite Happy Valley Song

18, Goliath Walibi Holland

19, Sky Scrapper World Joyland

20, iSpeed Mirabilandia

21, X2 Six Flags Magic Mo

22, Blue Fire Megacoaster Europa Park

23, Formula Rossa Ferrari World A.D.

24, Nitro Six Flags Great Ad

25, Eejanaika Fujikyu HighLands

26, Superman Escape Warner Bros. Movie

27, Phantom's Revenge Kennywood Park

28, Top Thrill Dragster Cedar Point

29, Kumba Busch Gardens Tamp

30, Atlantis Adventure Lotte World

How many B&M hypers do you see on that list? 3? Where is Diamondback, either Goliath, Apollo's Chariot, Behemoth, Silver Star, Intimidator, Raging Bull, etc? They aren't there. Because when it comes down to it, as much as people *DO* like B&M hypers, they just simply aren't as thrilling as some other coasters in the world. And that's just a harsh reality.

Now, granted, maybe SeaWorld doesn't need an "Expedition GeForce killer" and something like Mako will do a good enough job getting people back to SeaWorld again, but that's a whole different argument.

I see only in circles such as these, and where people are judging "tame" by their own personal preference, not a tangible one...

I guess the "tangible" item here would be the poll. While yes, it's still personal preference and that differs for various people, the poll at least collects that data and puts it into something that starts to form factual data...out of opinions. If that makes any sense.

Personally, B&M hypers don't get me excited. Will I ride them? Sure! Do I have fun of them? Sure! But for me, a ride that gets me excited is one that I hit the brakes and go OMFG WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!?!? And that's simply not what a B&M hyper does. So for me, I'm excited about Mako because I think it will be awesome for SeaWorld, but I'm not expecting it to blow me away.

Edited by robbalvey

I do love B&M Hypers, and I do find them quite exciting, and full of airtime usually! In fact, they populate 5 spots in my personal steel Top 25. Having said that, I agree that they don't have that "Wow" factor after getting off that you mentioned, Robb. I'm always pleased and excited afterwards, but they are not mind-blowing. Still, I think it all boils down to personal preference, even regarding airtime. I prefer strong, but not violent airtime, while many enthusiasts seem to prefer the violent ejector. If you prefer the former, as I do, B&M Hypers are going to rank a little higher for you. If the latter, I can see where the "tame" designation is coming from...

Still think it's a great choice for Sea World, however!

Granted it's not a true hyper since it's under 200ft but the only ride I've ever been on with those trains is Hollywood Dream at USJ and literally the only thing I remember after 4-5 rides using the single rider line is on my first ride thinking how comfy the seat was and wondering if I could get one for my living room. Whereas for either really good reasons or bad reasons, I remember quite a bit about nearly all the other hypers and gigas I've been on.

That was kind of my issue with my ride on Hollywood Dream, it was fun but not good enough to be overly memorable and not bad enough to leave a mark in my mind won't forget. If I ever ranked my coasters from top to bottom, it'd sit probably right in the middle.

Not to go too off-topic, Robb, but what is it about Shambhala that separates it from the rest of the B&M hypers/gigas? I've watched the videos and to me, I can't really tell any differentiating factors from other ones.

That was kind of my issue with my ride on Hollywood Dream, it was fun but not good enough to be overly memorable and not bad enough to leave a mark in my mind won't forget. If I ever ranked my coasters from top to bottom, it'd sit probably right in the middle.

This is exactly my thoughts too. I mean, every ride I take on Apollo's Chariot, for example, I have a really good time on, I'm all smiles and enjoy my ride, but I can think of at least a hundred coasters I like more than it, and a hundred coasters I like less. And from looking at Mitch's poll, that's pretty much how the majority of coaster enthusiasts feel, too.

Not to go too off-topic, Robb, but what is it about Shambhala that separates it from the rest of the B&M hypers/gigas? I've watched the videos and to me, I can't really tell any differentiating factors from other ones.

In my opinion, nothing. I have no idea why it ranked so much higher than the others. I definitely prefer nitro. I won't say it's much better but I have no doubts I'll rank it higher.

Shambhala does have a great first drop but the airtime provided by the hills isn't as good or solid (in my opinion) as nitro's plus it has a terrible ending with a MCBR so near the end. It surely is a pretty good ride and one that everyone can enjoy but the stronger air, the forceful helix and that great triple hill ending on nitro are better.