TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

^^^KD is a contender, but is that really likely if they just put I305 in? My money's on MIA or VF. Those are the parks that have gone several years with no new coasters. Thunderhawk in '08 for MIA, and Renegade in '07 for VF.

I'm not saying this because I want it to come to my home park. I actually hope it doesn't, but nevertheless, this is what I think will happen.

After reconsidering, I guess KD is a slight maybe, but Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure still seem like the most logical choices. I forgot about Valleyfair already having an impulse, which means it could fit in better at MiA. I just don't see KD getting yet another coaster after getting Dominator and 305 in a three-year span.

^^^KD is a contender, but is that really likely if they just put I305 in?

It's no more or less likely to go to KD than to any other park. Outside of it obviously going to another park, the only reason I think KD would not install Invertigo, at least not immediately, is if it conflicted with I305's reopening, assuming Invertigo would be that big of a draw. :/

Especially since Invertigo shouldn't be that expensive to install.

Either way time will tell what happens to it and CGA...

^^ Does the Coaster Count really matter??

If MIA was my home park, yeah it probably would. Do I think Valleyfair needs it? No. Would it be nice to have? Yes.

KD is a great park, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it needs it at all. I think it would've made a great addition to MIA.

Well, 2012 will tell the tell. Rumors are that SFDK will add a big new ride next year, so if that plus the removal of Invertigone does nor spur a major addition for 2012, you can forget it. And usually there are hints, signs or rumors of a new ride by the end of summer, so we'll have to wait and see.

^^ Does the Coaster Count really matter??

It does to Kinzel and this may be his last chance to keep CP on top.

I would much rather have a park with 10 coasters and quality throughout than 20 coasters and...that's it, nothing in-between.

The coaster count looks good for marketing, but when you have awesome throughout (I.E. Holiday World) you don't need a veritable s-load of coasters.

http://www.kingsdominion.com/attractions/detail.cfm?ai_id=158

Does KD seriously need another coaster? For heavens sake MIA's expansion this year was Valleyfair's Bumper Boats. How depressing.

Is this confirming that it's going to KD? If so, that was fast.

That link is created by Paramount's weird former websites, new rides from other parks had pages created on the KD site (who knows why?), and since KD doesn't have an action zone, I would assume that this is King's Island's or California's Great America ride listing.

They may as well scrap the darn park, relocate Flight Deck, Drop Tower, and some notable flats. As for the rest..let it burn (especially that benign water park).

edit: SFDK could definitely use a few flats, and the possibility of the park harboring Flight Deck would be sweet with a capital 'S'!

Luke over at westcoaster nailed it: this is really the beginning of the next chapter in the parks life. The writing is on the wall. It's in everyones best interest that the football stadium and CGA be under one ownership group. I think all the parties involve realize this and are working towards a deal to make it happen. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if removing Invertigo is the first step in Cedar Fair's exit plan from the park before announcing a sale to the 49er's.

Once the 49er's own it, I am sure they will find someone to manage it for them (perhaps CF will stay on in this capacity?) and throw some cash at the place to have a unique revenue stream available to them that no other NFL team has. Open the park up on game days as a "fan experience zone", host 49er events at the park, and so on.

Luke over at westcoaster nailed it: this is really the beginning of the next chapter in the parks life. The writing is on the wall. It's in everyones best interest that the football stadium and CGA be under one ownership group. I think all the parties involve realize this and are working towards a deal to make it happen. In fact, I would not be surprised at all if removing Invertigo is the first step in Cedar Fair's exit plan from the park before announcing a sale to the 49er's.

Once the 49er's own it, I am sure they will find someone to manage it for them (perhaps CF will stay on in this capacity?) and throw some cash at the place to have a unique revenue stream available to them that no other NFL team has. Open the park up on game days as a "fan experience zone", host 49er events at the park, and so on.

I really hope something like this is truly transpiring and that CF isn't going to pull another "GL" on us. Back when CGA was still PGA, the park had a sort of spark to it, the atmosphere was unique and different. I think the park lost a bit of that charm when CF bought the parks from Paramount. In my opinion, it's like taking Disney out of Disneyland, it just doesn't work as well as it was originally anticipated to be, and yes I know Marriott did originally own the park.

So cheers to the next chapter, good or bad, it all begins now.

-SoCalCoasters