TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I was kind of thinking the same, to have some track running along the side of the service road. Not that this would be part of the plan (maybe it is, I don't know)...My dream would be to see a Maverick/Mega-lite/iSpeed-like coaster with some nice airtime hills running along that road. We need a coaster with some airtime anyway!I guess you can see that I'm in hopes for an Intamin coaster. I can kind of picture a helix over in the Tidal Wave spike area as well.

That 3-point shootout, I think that was the former site of Skyhawk (yay, Cedar Fair name prior to Cedar Fair!)

^ Yep. You could actually build a lift hill or launch pad right into Tidal Wave's line if you get creative enough. Only question would be, what would be permissable after that point?

*envisions a group of Cedar Fair developer guys messing with RCT..."Hmm...you think that station will fit there?" Nah, try putting it on the other side!*

Please,please,please no Tony Hawk type coaster or the very stupid ass Poney Express(waste of space) type ride. It has to be something MEGA! Won't an I-305 fit in & around there? I think it could if they use the old Tidal Wave area. Or a Maverick clone or even a Top Thrill Dragster clone! If CGA is FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY getting something BIG next year when will we finally find out what it is??? I really want to know!

It should be noted that the Bay Area has a rich tradition and history of amusement parks - especially CLOSED ones. To mention a few notables:

Frontier Village, San Jose

Playland at the Beach, San Francisco

Santa's Village, Scotts Valley

Jay's, Petaluma

There's a market in the Bay Area for many parks, but that doesn't mean if you present a poor product "...they will still come."

Back on topic: Although visually appealing, a ZacSpin is not the best for capacity, something the park is already lacking. Although, it WOULD be a quick fix.

You have a straightaway in the former Tidal Wave spot, the Invertigo lot and some space behind it. Let's see what develops.

Please,please,please no Tony Hawk type coaster or the very stupid A$$ Poney Express(waste of space) type ride. It has to be something MEGA! Won't an I-305 fit in & around there? I think it could if they use the old Tidal Wave area. Or a Maverick clone or even a Top Thrill Dragster clone! If CGA is FINALLY, FINALLY, FINALLY getting something BIG next year when will we finally find out what it is??? I really want to know!

That would be a great idea if the park could build anything as tall as I-305 or Dragster but as far as I know 225 is the highest they can go due to the airport being so close by

A B&M flyer to replace our long-lost Stealth would be nice but CGA already has 2 B&M's (though that's never stopped SFMM from having 3 B&M's).

Magic Mountain, Great America, and Over Georgia has 4. Great Adventure has 5. Heck Alton Towers has 8 coasters, and 3 of those are B&M's. Anything is possible at this point....though I doubt Cedar Fair would ever buy a flyer...the only ones they own are ones they aqquired.

I just found out the answer to my own question. It can never be a Top Thrill Dragster-it's height is 405 ft & I-305 is 320 ft. That is way out of CGA's height range. The highest CGA could go is 224 ft which is Drop Zone's height. This just sucks so bad. AH BUT they can put in a Wicked Twister which has a height of 215. It can also be an Xcelator clone though which is only 205 ft.

The "Quick fix" coasters that I can see coming for 2012 are one of the following:

Eurofighter: Popular with the GP, their compact layouts,(preferably launched) and reasonably good capacity if they have a decent crew for them. Not too expensive for a cloned layout either.

ZacSpin: Visually stunning and intimidating, these rides are perfect for drawing in a thrill seeking crowed. Honestly, capacity would still be better than Invertigo. Once again, the price is right.

El Loco: This type of coaster is becoming very popular, with a third installation happening this year at a small French Park. it's compact size and intensity make it a good Invertigo replacement. Money wise, you know the drill.

Mack Spinner: I'm going to thow this one out on the table. Sierra is a great ride for families families and thrill seekers alike, compact layout and completely different from Big Spin.I looked at Invertigo's plot of land and though of Sierra.

The are the four most feasable coasters we can see coming in 12'. I just can't see CF adding some massive 18 million dollar custom vertical lift or mega lite for CGA. I would certainly like to see those come to the park, but I have a feeling this will be sort of a test coaster. if the public responds and attendance rises again, they may keep the park. If not, they can pull out. That's sort of the way I see it.

Uh I didn't see anything about this before...is this where Invertigo is going?

http://www.kingsdominion.com/attractions/detail.cfm?ai_id=158

Interesting, they don't have any boomerang at all so it would seem to make sense. You can't browse to that page through the list of thrill rides but there it is.

^ That Kings Dominion post is weird. Those are actually the stats for Kings Islands' model as it's in the action zone and opened in 1999. Since the Paramount Parks used the same server, there is some sort of glitch it looks like—unless they entered the stats for a template.

I could see it going to Kings Dominion, though.

The are the four most feasable coasters we can see coming in 12'. I just can't see CF adding some massive 18 million dollar custom vertical lift or mega lite for CGA. I would certainly like to see those come to the park, but I have a feeling this will be sort of a test coaster. if the public responds and attendance rises again, they may keep the park. If not, they can pull out. That's sort of the way I see it.

Though CF was going to add a custom woodie a few years back?