TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Am I out of line saying that Dorney and Valleyfair are simply "too good" to get saddled with a boomerang as an addition?

MiAd seems likely for me because they are a relatively small park, and a small addition would suit them well.

KD would put a boomerang in vA, when you have one in SFA and Carowinds.

CW isn't getting it either.

I feel sorry for CGA but happy for my home park. I may finally get to ride one of these.

I was excited about Demon Drop coming, but it turned out I was only wanting to TRY that type of ride rather than seeing it as a good addition in the park. After a few rides, I lost interest. I'm afraid that's how Invertigo would be.

However this turns out, there are still 2 wonderful parks in the area to be grateful for. I thought no one liked CGA anyway? Other than nostalgia reasons (which I understand), would this really be such a great loss? One terrific Invert and little to anything else.

Yeah really I mean who likes this park? It's just old and pointless amusement park that no one likes. (end sarcasm)

This park is so overlooked at that it's sort of sad. Yeah, it's not your typical Cedar Fair park, but it's still a nice park. I don't understand it when people say "CGA lost it's charm" because to me it still does. It's really sort of sad. On the other hand, the tallest roller coaster at CGA is now a whopping 102 feet. *sigh*

Pointless and old? Those are some of the exact words people were using towards this park, until the writing began appearing on the wall. It's always sad when you watch a park begin to fold, but this is the same park that a year ago people were bashing up and down the block.

I really hope the park survives and thrives again one day. But it's not like people have really appreciated it in a long, long time.

Can we PLEASE stop with the CGA bashing! I understand people are upset that Invertigo is being removed, but just whinning about it isn't going to fix ANYTHING!

Honestly, if they, THEORETICALLY were to build a new coaster on this spot, as stated before, there are two very good reasons.

#1: Invertigo has had a TON of bad publicity, getting stuck in 2002, and then again in 2007 (which made the NATIONAL news). Removing a bad publicity ride is a good move.

#2: This plot of land is away from the whiny neighbors who think GCA is a menace (YOUR BUSINESS IS RIGHT NEXT TO AN AMUSEMENT PARK! What else would you expect to hear? Hmm?) and they would have no complaints if, or when they open a new coaster.

Just my view of things...

-SoCal "Invertigo is leaving, and I'm not going to keep whinning" Coasters

(And yes, I have been on it. It was a smooth Vekoma)

Meh, I don't think this park's getting a coaster...EVERY OTHER ex-Paramount park has gotten at least one new coaster out of Cedar Fair.Kings Dominion and Carowinds got two, count 'em two coasters apiece since Cedar Fair bought them... and poor little Great America. an Ice Show...and "All Wheels Extreme".

^"In 2002, the Greased Lightning looping shuttle coaster was removed from Great America and relocated to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo in Northern Caifornia." Quote from that article. They should have added temporarly & then they should have wrote Greased Lightning parts were sent to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to keep another shuttle loop coaster of it's same kind there running.

CGA's situation isn't how GL's situation was. CGA actually has competion from other parks that aren't owned by the same company. I think that there's still much hope for CGA and the very fate of it. Who says it has to turn out the way Geauga Lake did?

That & CGA doesn't have the bad rep for customer service & overall operations that GL had....had GL not been in the hands of SFI/Premier parks before CF had gotten hold if it GL would still be around but it was six flags that truely spelled the end of that park.

On the flip side of that coin is someone mentioning the size of the overall market as being a factor in keeping it open,don't forget SFAW was in Houston,which had a fairly large population base & yet SFI shut it down anyway hoping to get quick & cheap rides for their other parks(only SFOT & La ronde reaped the meager rewards since the remaining rides were too damaged to install & operate) not to mention a quick buck on the land & yet,like GL the land still sits undeveloped so I wouldn't exactly say that CGA's 100% in the clear just yet.

Can we PLEASE stop with the CGA bashing! I understand people are upset that Invertigo is being removed, but just whinning about it isn't going to fix ANYTHING!

Honestly, if they, THEORETICALLY were to build a new coaster on this spot, as stated before, there are two very good reasons.

#1: Invertigo has had a TON of bad publicity, getting stuck in 2002, and then again in 2007 (which made the NATIONAL news). Removing a bad publicity ride is a good move.

#2: This plot of land is away from the whiny neighbors who think GCA is a menace (YOUR BUSINESS IS RIGHT NEXT TO AN AMUSEMENT PARK! What else would you expect to hear? Hmm?) and they would have no complaints if, or when they open a new coaster.

Just my view of things...

-SoCal "Invertigo is leaving, and I'm not going to keep whinning" Coasters

(And yes, I have been on it. It was a smooth Vekoma)

I hope you don't think I am bashing the park or whining as you call it, because nothing could be further from the truth. I was just pointing out the irony that people suddenly shift from bashing a park to being all "sad" when the rumors about it closing start.

To me it makes perfect sense to remove this ride at this point. It's caused them nothing but headaches and they probably don't have the funds to maintain it any longer. Also with rumors of a new ride going into SFDK next year, the park has to find a way to add a new ride. The only option at this point is to remove something, and Invertigo was the no -brainer.

CGA's situation isn't how GL's situation was. CGA actually has competion from other parks that aren't owned by the same company. I think that there's still much hope for CGA and the very fate of it. Who says it has to turn out the way Geauga Lake did?

That & CGA doesn't have the bad rep for customer service & overall operations that GL had....had GL not been in the hands of SFI/Premier parks before CF had gotten hold if it GL would still be around but it was six flags that truely spelled the end of that park.

Yeah, but CGA's land isn't owned by Cedar Fair, and it's in a place that's more desirable for the stadium. Geauga Lake's land... well, like everything in Cleveland, isn't really desired at all. The deciding factor is always profit.

The sick thing about CGA is that unlike GL, where the majority of people outside of CF weren't anticipating the closure until the summer of 2007, most can already smell this stink like it's a burning bag of crap. I think Cedar Fair wants to keep the park and compete in the Bay Area, but by taking out Stealth and Invertigo (2 shabby rollercoasters, that are roller coasters nonetheless), they are calling Santa Clara County's bluff in a way.

If this is true, it makes sense that they chose to remove Invertigo. Think about it: they wanted to take out a ride that would be marketable at another park. None of their other big roller coasters fit that criteria. Flight Deck was custom-built for the park's landscape. Demon is just too old. And, I have a feeling CF knows that Vortex and Grizzly are not exactly award-winning rides, and wouldn't do well marketed as a "new" ride at a different park. Invertigo is the only modern roller coaster they have that would look good at another park.

Edited by sfmman2000

^"In 2002, the Greased Lightning looping shuttle coaster was removed from Great America and relocated to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo in Northern Caifornia." Quote from that article. They should have added temporarly & then they should have wrote Greased Lightning parts were sent to Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom to keep another shuttle loop coaster of it's same kind there running.

I would have loved Greased Lighting going to "SFDK/SFMM". I always loved greased lighting because the line was always small thanks to the the ride being well hidden from the GP.

I haven't had time to go through all of the posts about Invertigo, but here are my reasons for thinking that the ride is going to Valleyfair.

I do not think it will go to these parks:

Kings Island-they already have one

Kings Dominion-there used to be one just up the road

Carowinds-they have a boomerang

World's of Fun-they have a boomerang

Knott's Berry Farm-they have a boomerang

Dorney-unlikely as they have two inverted coasters already and nearby Hersheypark has a boomerang

Michigan's Adventure-Not likely after getting Thunderhawk so recently.

Canada's Wonderland-they have a boomerang

Cedar Point-Not likely as they already have two inverted coasters and Kings Island has an Invertigo copy

Gilroy Gardens (does Cedar Fair manage this?)-Too close to Great America.

^Cedar Fair I believe does manage Gilroy Gardens. No chance of Invertigo heading there anyway. The park was not built for large attractions and something like that would strip the charm out of that park.

About Hershey having a boomerang, that shouldn't stop an Invertigo from coming into a neighboring park. CGA had Invertigo while SFDK has a Boomerang.

Something I found interesting but leaves me concerned now from that LA Times artical:

While Great America has released no details on the 2012 project, officials confirmed the new attraction will NOT be the oft-delayed wooden roller coaster proposed in 2008 (which remains in limbo due to noise concerns).

Not sure where they're getting their info from unless they're just blowing stuff out their hiney. But if this is the case, I'm now really curious as to what we'll be seeing. Could be something completely amazing? Or could be part of the Sky Screamer bandwagon (which I'm hoping is not the case. As much as I'd like to ride one, I don't want that to be Invertigo's replacement). Dreaming, a nice compact Intamin coaster (like a megalite or a vertical lift Maverick-style coaster could potentially work...A B&M flyer to replace our long-lost Stealth would be nice but CGA already has 2 B&M's (though that's never stopped SFMM from having 3 B&M's).

What I think would be fun but really don't want at the moment (and not in that spot): lower capacity rides like an El Loco, Zac Spin, or some random flat ride. The space is quite large enough to pack something in there...I hope they make the best use out of that space and not waste it on something that takes 1/3 of that plot. Again, we'll have to wait and see.

Name-wise for the new attraction: $10 says that it will be " Hawk>"

Nothing short of a compact coaster will be accepted after the removal of three in a row. I'm sure it isn't lost on the park how rough removing three coasters can do for a park's image. So I'd be really surprised if they don't add one in 2012 (that is, if they have any intention of actually investing any further in this park).

If we're talking compact, a Zacspin would work well there. Capacity issues aside, it's unique enough to attract attention. Otherwise, that area would be a great place for a station and queue, provided they can get clearance to build up and over other attractions.

But I guess I'm getting way ahead of myself.

Please I am begging don't be yet another spinny flat ride. CGA has way too many flats as it is & CGA doesn't need anymore flats! I am picturing in my mind how big Invertigo's space is. It's kind of small actually. So I guess we can't expect to see something too big. Is there even enough room for a coaster to go where Invertigo was? & Would a Maverick clone fit in that space? Or a V2?