TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Regardless of what anyone says I can see it going to Cedar Point because its got a small footprint and would be easy to squeeze in the park and boost the coaster count with minimal investment

I was thinking the same thing. It might not be as far-fetched as people think for this to turn up at CP. I don't think it will, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did, is what I'm trying to say.

It would look nice in Lazer's old spot at Dorney... is that a possibility?

Two inverted shuttle coasters right next to each other?

^^^This is how Geauga Lake started.......With the removal of major attractions and promises of capital expansion.

Is Grizzly quietly snickering in the corner at this news?

It's snickering until it ends up in the firepit of a bonfire that the City of Santa Clara is sponsoring

Edited by DJeXeL

With all of the land they are clearing at Allentown Recycling/Dorney Park, I feel like it's going to slot in in the old Kiddieland/Laser area. I'd say it's going to Valleyfair, but I feel like they deserve better than a washed up boomerang. Then again, everyone does.

The sick thing about CGA is that unlike GL, where the majority of people outside of CF weren't anticipating the closure until the summer of 2007, most can already smell this stink like it's a burning bag of crap. I think Cedar Fair wants to keep the park and compete in the Bay Area, but by taking out Stealth and Invertigo (2 shabby rollercoasters, that are roller coasters nonetheless), they are calling Santa Clara County's bluff in a way.

The problem with that is that I don't see that panning out well for the citizens/parkgoers, the park, or the owners of the park. You can compare CGA to GL, but the fact is that I feel it's going to end up like Astroworld: A charming park, sucked of life by a floundering company and greedy, retarded officials and third parties.

I hope it doesn't close before my West Coast Trip next year, but how many coasters left before GL got nailed in the coffin? How many broken promises will end up coming to light?

^Difference is, Paramount used that area for expansion to a nicely themed water park. We will just have to wait and see what Cedar Fair has in store.

My personal opinion is this is the 1st nail in the coffin.

Edited by DJeXeL

I too see this as the beginning of the end for CGA, as little capital is being invested, and red tape/complaints prevent any that would from being built.

As for Invertigo, Valleyfair seems like a great choice. Although, with this announcement and removal so sudden, would it be possible for it to open say mid-season? I'd be surprised if it would open this year, but how long does it take to build a ride like this(red tape not included)? Also, if this can indeed be built fast, didn't Michigan's Adventure say that they had another announcement when they announced the water play structure? I know they just added Thunderhawk a couple years ago, but with the big attendance increase that was generated, could it be possible that Invertigo could be heading up to Michigan?

Either way, the future doesn't look to bright for CGA, and within a couple years, I believer we will see this park being parted out to the other Cedar Fair parks.

I know it's not exactly the same but that didn't stop them from putting Demon Drop very close to Dominator even when Demon Drop wasn't needed.

Can Worlds of Fun have it? I don't want to see Great America close, but I really enjoyed the Invertigo at KI last year. Course WOF will have to take the Boomerang out, but it has one of the shortest lines in the park any more. I too agree with the general consensus that this is the first nail in the coffin for Great America. Perhaps the second, if the rumored GCI coaster not coming to fruition was the first. Not sure whey they didn't move forward with that. So sad too. I think with all the bally hoo over the new stadium, Cedar Fair wants out. I hope though that somehow we are not right. Peace!

Regarding similar coasters next to one another (and Geauga Lake): weren't that park's Double Loop and Corkscrew pretty much near each other? Always kind of loved that bizarre semi-redundancy...

True. My guess regarding that is because that was back in 1977/1978 when there weren't that many different coaster types. People were going to be riding the same, or very similar, types of coasters anyway whether they were right next to each other or across the park. It wasn't uncommon back then...take CCMR, Gemini, and Magnum at Cedar Point for example. There weren't many options out there at the time, so each coaster is pretty much just a beefier version of it's predecessor.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

I think that WOF would be a bad choice because it is probably difficult to market a ride that is very similar to something the park already has (even though boomerang would be removed). I know there is a difference between the two coasters, but the GP isn't as particular about things. They are likely to see an ad for it and say "Oh... don't they already have that? Its just like Boomerang". It's much easier to market something completely new to the park. I think the two biggest possibilities are VF and MIA. I personally hope it goes to MIA because I would honestly rather see VF get the B&M that's been rumored for years. If Invertigo went to VF, that would likely cancell any chances of something high-quality coming in anytime soon.

Edited by dippindotsguy8

I know it's not exactly the same but that didn't stop them from putting Demon Drop very close to Dominator even when Demon Drop wasn't needed.

Yeah, they inherited one old un-reliable ride, why not add another?

As much as I would like to ride it just for the credit, I hope it doesn't get built there. I did hear that Dorney did buy some land recently around Laser's old spot. I would think that it would be for something big in 2012.

As much as what other coasters CGA has, I personally wouldn't consider Invertago a major ride, but I've never been there so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

They still got a good B&M invert but beyond that it seems they don't have much at all. If it's true they are opening up an opportunity for a new attraction at CGA, they'd probably be best using that spot for a really good flat. A small coaster won't help that park right now and fact is that footprint is too small for anything really good (unless there's more space than I think). Now, if they were to send the Grizzly to the abyss, which on most accounts couldn't come fast enough, they could replace it with a really good GG woodie for a reasonable price, or something highly regarded in the industry. Sounds like that's wishful thinking at this point though.

Invertigo Going to a New Home

After 12 years of service at California's Great America, Cedar Fair has decided to move the ride to another Cedar Fair park, and open up a new opportunity for Great America.

This is a business decision that is taking into consideration all of the Cedar Fair properties and allowing us to infuse capital into another park and opening up a great opportunity for a new attraction at Great America.

Although we do not discuss future plans that are not definate, our Corporate Design team has evaluated the location and plans are underway for the future of the location.

This is not unusual, in 2003 the ride Stealth was removed and relocated to Carowinds in Charlotte, N.C., to make way for what is now know as Boomerang Bay water park.

Stay tuned for more details as they are available!

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/news/detail.cfm?item_id=1069

I keep reading this thread and all I hear is nails in coffin, this is the end, the next Geauga Lake! No where in this statement does it say it is closing?? What it does say is that plans are underway for that location in the future....

glass half full I guess.

I think Invertigo's are rising rapidly up the endangered coaster species list. If King's Island decided to follow suit, Invertigo fans will have to travel to a deserted field in the middle of nowhere in Denmark, er - I mean Sommerland Syd, to get their Invertigo fix.

Here's hoping it will lead to something decent in it's place, or perhaps relocation of all of CGA's better rides to other parks, and the crappy ones to Michigan's Adventure.

Edited by downunder

As a few have said, Valleyfair or Michigan's Adventure would both be great choices of where to relocate Invertigo. As for CGA, I can't really see anything new coming in. According to a vast majority of posts, CGA has lost its charm. While a new coaster would bring back some charm, I can't see the new coaster being anything large enough to draw a major crowd.

I keep reading this thread and all I hear is nails in coffin, this is the end, the next Geauga Lake! No where in this statement does it say it is closing?? What it does say is that plans are underway for that location in the future....

glass half full I guess.

And we all learned a lesson in what transpired at Geauga Lake. CF never said they were going to close GL either all the while rumors began surfacing the park might close when people saw X Flight and Steel Venom being taken down. Their so-called intention was to bring the park back to a size that fit the attendance as it was deemed too large of a footprint for what they were attracting. So seeing this transpire in California just screams "Geauga Lake sequel" in the making.

Isn't it also ironic that Invertigo and Deja Vu at SFGAm were both built on the same spot as the old Sky Whirl and both will be/have been removed from their respective parks? Is that particular plot of land jinxed? CGA's Invertigo was the first one of its kind I've ridden and I really like them.

My guess is it's going to Valleyfair.