TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I saw this. I swore. I swore some more. I cursed Cedar Fair. I ranted. I watermarked an old picture of Invertigo and sent it to everyone I know. Then I sent an anrgy e-mail to CGA management which too was watermarked.

Here I am now. With this picture.

335419669_watermarkticked.png.83adc4d1a74d97e7d58242c8c89e03a8.png

Even the watermark hates Cedar Fair for this!

This is sad news. I really enjoyed Invertigo when I had a chance to ride it. Watching this park from its beginning with Marriott's and eventually through its Paramount days, I really have an emotional tie to it. I know it will never see its hay day again, but watching it die a slow ignored death is really awful. I havn't been able to get to the park since Cedar Fair bought it, but I check in on whats going on there quite often. The park as I see it is suffering from a few things, First is it lost it's identity and second the mentality has shifted from a family park to a baby sitter style park (kids are just dropped off and left to cause havoc). I would love to see this park focus on bringing its themed areas back to pre-Paramount days, make the atmosphere about entertaining guests as opposed to just thrilling them with new rides. This park back in the day was almost like a poor mans Disney, Hometown Square was a good example, there were shows and themed areas that had substance. The rides were almost secondary to everything else, but they were fun because they were just as much a part of the themed atmosphere. Remember the Yankee Harbor area before the Action FX theater was installed? That whole area was one of my favorites, and there was a ride for every age. Yankee Clipper, The Lobster, and Tidal Wave fit that area perfectly. Now look at that area, absolutely no cohesiveness to it at all. I truly hope this is not the end, the park still has great potential customer drawing power.

Now that I'm home from work, I'm now taking a look at Invertigo's 'pad.' Surprisingly, it looks like there's a lot that can actually fit in there. Invertigo's exit path was fairly wide as well as the walkway in front of the ride. There is also that pond that sits next to Invertigo's lift (nice water finale anyone?) Granted, I don't see any woodie capable to fit in that spot, I can see a nice compact Intamin fitting in there...possibly fit a dive machine? Only time will really tell us.

*Begins tinkering with No Limits just to see what could fit*

Edited by Angry_Gumball

Now that I'm home from work, I'm now taking a look at Invertigo's 'pad.' Surprisingly, it looks like there's a lot that can actually fit in there. Invertigo's exit path was fairly wide as well as the walkway in front of the ride. There is also that pond that sits next to Invertigo's lift (nice water finale anyone?) Granted, I don't see any woodie capable to fit in that spot, I can see a nice compact Intamin fitting in there...possibly fit a dive machine? Only time will really tell us.

Look at Grona Lound and the woodie they're adding, its in a smaller space than this! I -really- hope a new attraction will takes it's place, but it just doesn't seem feasable...

My mouth just hung wide open when I saw over at Screamscape Invertigo is being removed. OMG YET ANOTHER lost coaster! WTF??? Why does it have to be Invertigo??? They should be taking down the Grizzly instead. CGA should get an award for the most removed coasters. Now lets see thats:

-Greased Lightnin

-Stealth

-Invertigo

So frigen depressing. CGA BETTER & I MEAN BETTER give us not one but 2 major coasters then. I know something major is finally coming 2012/2013 but how about 2 major coasters? One won't do it. At least I went on Invertigo last season 5 times. CGA known for removing rides right & left. It better be something good & NOTHING THAT SPINS. Hoy veh. Now down to 3 coasters-Top Gun, Demon, Grizzly. I don't even count Vortex. Guess I'll go back to SFDK on my birthday this year.

I've taken another look the parks in the Cedar Fair chain, and I'm predicting Invertigo will go to one of the following four parks.

1. Michigan's Adventure-This would be a great coaster here as the park doesn't have any type of shuttle coaster yet and the capacity matches the crowd levels. However, they did get an SLC a few years ago so I don't know if it will wind up here.

2. Valleyfair-This is the only other park in the Cedar Fair chain that has a low enough crowd level for the ride. However, they do have Steel Venom. Either way, this and Michigan's Adventure are the most likely choices.

3. Kings Dominion-If I remember correctly, at ECB it was stated that the park was planning to remove Shockwave in the near future. It may be just me, but I think Invertigo would be an excellent replacement if the park wants to do it cheaply.

4. Cedar Point-I doubt this will happen, but how quickly could the ride be relocated? I could possibly see Cedar Point installing it super quick just to keep SFMM from claiming the most coasters record completely.

Unlike what some other people have said, I really don't think the ride will go to Dorney Park because that park already has Possessed and it is a major park. If I had to place my money on it, I'd say Michigan's Adventure, but wouldn't rule out the other three yet.

As for CGA, this is definitely a sign, but whether it is positive or negative is impossible to determine yet. If the park does indeed replace the ride for 2012 or even 2013, it could be a sign that Cedar Fair is serious about the park and is finally ready to do something. If nothing materializes, however, I'd say that Cedar Fair has decided to let the park die. For now, the park seems like it just barely is able to survive, and I am pretty sure that the season Flight Deck vanishes will be the final season for the park.

I've taken another look the parks in the Cedar Fair chain, and I'm predicting Invertigo will go to one of the following four parks.

1. Michigan's Adventure-This would be a great coaster here as the park doesn't have any type of shuttle coaster yet and the capacity matches the crowd levels. However, they did get an SLC a few years ago so I don't know if it will wind up here.

2. Valleyfair-This is the only other park in the Cedar Fair chain that has a low enough crowd level for the ride. However, they do have Steel Venom. Either way, this and Michigan's Adventure are the most likely choices.

3. Kings Dominion-If I remember correctly, at ECB it was stated that the park was planning to remove Shockwave in the near future. It may be just me, but I think Invertigo would be an excellent replacement if the park wants to do it cheaply.

4. Cedar Point-I doubt this will happen, but how quickly could the ride be relocated? I could possibly see Cedar Point installing it super quick just to keep SFMM from claiming the most coasters record completely.

Unlike what some other people have said, I really don't think the ride will go to Dorney Park because that park already has Possessed and it is a major park. If I had to place my money on it, I'd say Michigan's Adventure, but wouldn't rule out the other three yet.

As for CGA, this is definitely a sign, but whether it is positive or negative is impossible to determine yet. If the park does indeed replace the ride for 2012 or even 2013, it could be a sign that Cedar Fair is serious about the park and is finally ready to do something. If nothing materializes, however, I'd say that Cedar Fair has decided to let the park die. For now, the park seems like it just barely is able to survive, and I am pretty sure that the season Flight Deck vanishes will be the final season for the park.

Not to go off topic, but Kings Dominion has said various times that Shockwave won't be going anywhere soon, the ride is one of the most reliable and cheapest rides to run. The park also has the 2 old King Kobra trains from Kings Island. In addition last year they installed a brand new lift-motor. I still see Kings Dominion being a possibility, with the ride most likely being put in the old Hypersonic site.

My mouth just hung wide open when I saw over at Screamscape Invertigo is being removed. OMG YET ANOTHER lost coaster! WTF??? Why does it have to be Invertigo??? They should be taking down the Grizzly instead. CGA should get an award for the most removed coasters. Now lets see thats:

-Greased Lightnin

-Stealth

-Invertigo

So frigen depressing. CGA BETTER & I MEAN BETTER give us not one but 2 major coasters then. I know something major is finally coming 2012/2013 but how about 2 major coasters? One won't do it. At least I went on Invertigo last season 5 times. CGA known for removing rides right & left. It better be something good & NOTHING THAT SPINS. Hoy veh. Now down to 3 coasters-Top Gun, Demon, Grizzly. I don't even count Vortex. Guess I'll go back to SFDK on my birthday this year.

Lets not forget

Skyhawk

Triple Play

Yankee Clipper

The Train

Pictorium

How compact can GCI's get? Realistically, I can't see that happening,

Now that I'm home from work, I'm now taking a look at Invertigo's 'pad.' Surprisingly, it looks like there's a lot that can actually fit in there. Invertigo's exit path was fairly wide as well as the walkway in front of the ride. There is also that pond that sits next to Invertigo's lift (nice water finale anyone?) Granted, I don't see any woodie capable to fit in that spot

Never doubt the power of GCI my friend.

While it's not the greatest photo comparison, remember, Psyclone at SFMM wasn't that big of a ride, and Apocalypse (previously called Terminator) fit nicely inside Psyclone's spot and gave one heck of a ride experience (and still does).

I have no doubt GCI could make something incredible of Invertigo's previous area.

Plus as someone said, maybe even Gravity Group could come up with something.

http://rides4u.com/index.php/rides/detail/1107

Joyland's/AstroWorld's Schwarzkopf Shuttle Loop has dropped down in price to only $299,000. Please Great America ... please?

The removal of INVERTIGO really does sadden me. The park was already experiencing tough times, but now this? Such a great ride, and now it's gone. Oh well. I really hope that the park will make it. I would hate to lose CGA...

~Nicholas

Edited by coaster-crazy

The saddest thing on this forum is the crying for the VEKOMA BOOMERANG's removal because it is a GREAT RIDE.

Wut.

I guess CGA is more lacking than I previously thought.

Invertigo's were kind of "special" in the sense that it was a really enjoyable ride...did not smash your heads, was quite intense.

Those who have been following this thread tangentially over the past few years, welcome to our personal hells.

This is by no means the "first" nail in the coffin for this park. For most, it feels like several nail guns have done most of the job...and the verbiage from the press release IS eerily similar to the downfall of Geauga Lake.

But this is an interesting year...If the 49ers are to move to SC, they'll realistically need to start construction THIS YEAR to HOPE to host the Superbowl in 2015. (The year the extension in Candlestick expires) Cedar Fair just had a pseudo-shakeup with Corporate Management with Kinzel's "ousting" which may affect debt restructuring, etc. These are a few things to watch for as this story develops. The park isn't dead yet (though many will say it's dead to them) but it's certainly on life support in my opinion.

Many have said there's much more to this story. HELL'S YES THERE IS! It may take some time however, to let it all pan or come out.

So what do I need to see to ensure myself this isn't another Geauga Lake? I need to see the park not just hint at a new attraction in the former Invertigo area, but come right out and say it - before the busy summer season gets underway. Have work walls up right away and have corporate SHOW me that they're committed to the SF Bay Area market. Forget keeping a competitive edge by keeping attractions secret until the last moment - you need all the good publicity you can get at this point from both the general public and industry watchers.

As I've stated before, all CGA needs is a good 5-7 year-over-year capital campaign to get right back where they were in 2002/2003. (Similar to what KECO did in the 80's early 90's.

What's even more ironic - there have been untold numbers of amusement parks that have closed in the Bay Area over the years...yet Santa Cruz just keeps putt-putting along for more than a century.

As much as the coaster enthusiast world hates Grizzly, it has the longest lines of the coasters behind Flight Deck an Psycho Mouse. I bet the maintenance costs to continue to make sure that the incident never happens again, mixed with the bad publicity the park got for the ride during and after the incident, was just an arrow pointing to the removal of it. As much as I liked the ride, and am upset that nothing is replacing it this season, I'm excited to hear about what is going to replace it. Let's be honest, there are SO MANY better options out there of coasters that can replace a boomerang, albeit an inverted one. GCI's are amazing coasters, and after experiencing Terminator at SFMM, I would love to see that project resurrected.

That's the same thing that spelled doom for two face following it's malfunction in 07.Negative publicity forced the park to remove it.

Perhaps they may be shipping the ride east? CP already has WT so there's not much sense in installing it there.

As much as the coaster enthusiast world hates Grizzly, it has the longest lines of the coasters behind Flight Deck an Psycho Mouse. I bet the maintenance costs to continue to make sure that the incident never happens again, mixed with the bad publicity the park got for the ride during and after the incident, was just an arrow pointing to the removal of it. As much as I liked the ride, and am upset that nothing is replacing it this season, I'm excited to hear about what is going to replace it. Let's be honest, there are SO MANY better options out there of coasters that can replace a boomerang, albeit an inverted one. GCI's are amazing coasters, and after experiencing Terminator at SFMM, I would love to see that project resurrected.

That's the same thing that spelled doom for two face following it's malfunction in 07.Negative publicity forced the park to remove it.

Perhaps they may be shipping the ride east? CP already has WT so there's not much sense in installing it there.

Yes but Drop Tower has had its share of negative publicity and a much worse accident and yet it remains in the park, same can be said for Perilous Plunge at Knott's. Cedar fair doesn't seem to be in the business of removing a ride due to bad press

I'm not sure if the few of you were being sarcastic or not, but there's a better chance at Obama and Palin running together for pres/vice pres in 2012 than there is of ANY major Vekoma even SNIFFING the midway at Cedar Point.

Some of you people need to ingest a little dose of reality. Paramount didn't want to expand this park, and Cedar Fair doesn't want to expand this park. Read between the lines a little bit.

Edit: And as far as which park it goes to, there really aren't many viable choices. I think we can eliminate CP, KD, KI, Carowinds, CW, and KBF right off the bat. WOF has a Boomerang, so it won't go there, either. That leaves Valleyfair, Michigan's Adventure, and Dorney. All three would make sense, but I don't think we'll see it at MiA since they just got Thunderhawk. Dorney also just got a relocated GL coaster, so Valleyfair would seem to be the most logical choice.

Um KD is the only major park in the chain without a shuttle coaster so I guess it's a toss up between MIA & KD,VF,Dorney,CP & a few others have impulse coasters & WOF,CWL & Carowinds have boomerangs so they're ruled out.

KD has Volcano which is launch similar to a shuttle coaster. Honestly to me looking at this scenario my best logic on where it will be located would be Valleyfair. Carowinds has carolina cobra Dorney has possessed (not a boomerang) and there are a ton of boomerang type rides within a few hrs of each other on the east coast.

From rcdb.com: Shuttle- a roller coaster traveling to the end of its track and returning in the opposite direction. A shuttle roller coaster's track contains a beginning and end, unlike a traditional roller coaster which forms a continuous circuit.

Volcano's track and trains are similar to shuttle coasters like V2 or Possessed, but it's not a shuttle coaster. So KD is a contender for Invertigo.

KD has Volcano which is launch similar to a shuttle coaster. Honestly to me looking at this scenario my best logic on where it will be located would be Valleyfair. Carowinds has carolina cobra Dorney has possessed (not a boomerang) and there are a ton of boomerang type rides within a few hrs of each other on the east coast.

I don't get your reasoning here...you say Dorney has possessed, but Valleyfair has Steel Venom...same thing