TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I personally don't see the Invertigo coming to KD....

If I had to make a top five possiblities list (and this coaster will not appear in a park until 2012):

1. Michigan Adventure

- currently has a Vekoma and may be willing to take the ride responsibility on... but it is a small park so...

2. Canada's Wonderland

- yes it has the Bat and Flight Deck but hasn't had a coaster built since 2008.

3. Valley Fair

- Medium sized park trying to get bigger. Surprised they haven't had a major installment since 2007.

4. Kings Dominion

- the KD operations and Maintenance staff would probably be willing to take the coaster and they have th3e perfect void to fill. This a kind of coaster they don't have in their lineup...

5. Dorney

- I have a feeling that CF has big plans for the Pa Park in 2012. Bigger than Invertigo. Thye have been gettting the old Laser site and land around it rready for "something" right?

Less Likely

CEDAR POINT

CAROWINDS

KNOTTS BERRY FARM

WORLDS OF FUN

KINGS ISLAND

People need to keep in mind Cedar Fair is trying to run a business here and with this particular park, if the city refuses to cooperate then CF will need to cut the park loose and cut their losses. It's sad to see any park close. I visited Geauga Lake on it's last season and it just feels weird going to a park to have it close for good a month later. Luke and Joey are correct, the "Fan Zone" seems like a great idea but I don't think Cedar Fair will want any part of it.

It's in everyones best interest that the football stadium and CGA be under one ownership group.

I would have to agree with this. One idea that has been running through my head is shared staffing. The stadium probably needs a few educated/qualified managers to oversee the masses of low skilled labor needed for game day operations. But, if the 49ers owned CGA think how many stadium and park operatioins could be consolidated: food service, retail, admissions, janitorial, security, and perhaps maybe even more "white collar" gigs like marketing and IT. I doubt it is very cost effective to recruit people to work only 8 days a year.

In essence what I'm getting at is that CGA's Food & Beverage Director could also be in charge of food operations at the stadium. Then come game day, all of CGA's seasonal foods hosts would show up to work their jobs at the stadium (instead of the park).

It's in everyones best interest that the football stadium and CGA be under one ownership group.

I would have to agree with this. One idea that has been running through my head is shared staffing. The stadium probably needs a few educated/qualified managers to oversee the masses of low skilled labor needed for game day operations. But, if the 49ers owned CGA think how many stadium and park operatioins could be consolidated: food service, retail, admissions, janitorial, security, and perhaps maybe even more "white collar" gigs like marketing and IT. I doubt it is very cost effective to recruit people to work only 8 days a year.

In essence what I'm getting at is that CGA's Food & Beverage Director could also be in charge of food operations at the stadium. Then come game day, all of CGA's seasonal foods hosts would show up to work their jobs at the stadium (instead of the park).

Those people who manage the stadium work more than 8 days in the year. Stadium operation is a large business that requires 365 days of work. I'm no expert but the SF 49ers stadium wouldn't just be for 49ers FB games.... Like any other FB stadiums they probably hold weekly events. The park would have more traffic than just game day traffic.

CF wanted to sell the park, my guess is a multi-business developer would love to get is hands on the property for some outlet style business...

Yeah, but with GL's matter, CF was trying to market 3 parks all within a few hours drive of each other. That was a very hard task to try to accomplish.

That wasn't the biggest problem for GL,it's biggest problem was the aftermath left after six flags had messed up the park through overexpansion coupled with the timing of their fixation on SFMM,GRADV & GRAM as the only parks they would invest any substantial capital into.

Have we all forgotten that VF has an impulse coaster? as does CP & Dorney so it wouldn't go there.KD & I believe MIA are the only two CF parks without a shuttle coaster of any kind so it makes sense to move invertigo to one of these two locations where it would be a huge marketing draw.

I'm very very unfamiliar with this park but from what I can attain from reading these past pages is that IMO Cedar Fair's best bet is to sell it. The park obviously isn't going to get much better.

Or they can pull another GL and make it just the waterpark.

Like I said in the KI discussion thread yesterday, KI is the only major park without a major invert (SLC, B&M, Impulse) so Flight Deck (obviously with a different name) would go great. Survivor, Drop Tower etc., could pretty much be placed anywhere that doesn't already have a drop tower. Vortex I can tell isn't that great. If they're gonna put it anywhere it would be a cheap fix for one of their parks. Other than that, there really isn't any worthwhile ride (Grizzly ).

Either way, no matter what happens, I've read like 1000 times just on these last few pages that Invertigo was soooo amazing and sooo reliable. HELLO!?!?! Every invertigo like EVAR has had issues. What about Two Face at SFA!? What about the news that even I heard about in NY about it getting stranded for like 5 hours!?! C'mon people I know I may not know what I'm talking about and since I've never been on one but from what I can gather, this ride is crap.

Yeah I won't miss Invertigo. Anyways there's the Boomerang over at SFDK. However I do miss Greased Lightnin & Stealth ALOT. I can see CF scrapping all the rides except Top Gun & Drop Zone. Those are the only ones worth being saved. Send them to SFDK. Top Gun can easily replace Kong & SFDK doesn't have a drop ride yet. But turning CGA into a water park only? Hmm. There's Raging Waters in San Jose which is pretty close to CGA. I don't think they'd do that. CF should announce the major new attraction now. Otherwise we may never hear about it. They could just change their minds & tear down the whole rest of the park while they are starting with Invertigo.

^^ Does the Coaster Count really matter??

It does to Kinzel and this may be his last chance to keep CP on top.

True but this sort of thing is just what got SFI into financial trouble,anyone know why CP hasn't installed a coaster since Maverick? It's because the local economy(especially in Detroit) is down at the present time so it does them no benefit to install a major ride like that at the present time if half of their target demographic cannot even afford to visit the park right now.

4. Cedar Point-I doubt this will happen, but how quickly could the ride be relocated? I could possibly see Cedar Point installing it super quick just to keep SFMM from claiming the most coasters record completely.

You might be on to something here. Many people want to go to Cedar Point simply because they heard it was the coaster capital of the world. If SFMM reclaims that title, I'd think attendance would rise quite a bit and drop or stay the same at Cedar Point. I know people who haven't seen ONE coaster at CP, but still tell me they want to go because it has the most coasters! And, as we all know, there's no telling what CF could do next

You know, I can't believe no one has thought of this (or at least posted), but we have to remember that KBF, KI, and CP are all getting Windseeker this year...So (somewhat contradictory to my earlier statement about which park might get Invertigo) unless CP is going to pull a SFMM, it seems like it's a definite no that CP guests will find Invertigo in the park.

You know they aren't going to get it.....I do as well but other people don't get it so leave it alone.

The proof will be when the press release is made from the park it's going to.

Edited by DJeXeL

Let me say it again since we STILL don't get it.......

ahem............................

CEDAR POINT IS NOT GETTING INVERTIGO. CEDAR POINT WILL NEVER INSTALL A USED VEKOMA SHUTTLE. IF YOU EVEN REMOTELY THINK OTHERWISE, YOU NEED TO STOP SMOKING THAT STICKY ICKY.

I totally agree. Why would Cedar Fair put such a crappy ride (it looks ugly (the station!) and rough) at their flagship park. So many people have said how Cedar Fair only cares about CP. I somewhat agree but anyway they would never put a ride like this there. never. Also, if they want to get the most coasters, they might as well put a good one in and win it by having the latest and greatest (a new woodie! please!!! ) not a used, broken one.

Let me say it again since we STILL don't get it.......

ahem............................

CEDAR POINT IS NOT GETTING INVERTIGO. CEDAR POINT WILL NEVER INSTALL A USED VEKOMA SHUTTLE. IF YOU EVEN REMOTELY THINK OTHERWISE, YOU NEED TO STOP SMOKING THAT STICKY ICKY.

Ya'll need to listen to thus guy!

Coaster counts are important to the marketing departments, that's true. If it weren't then you wouldn't see Cedar Point tout the fact that they have THE MOSTEST COASTERS EVAR! and then the friendly coaster war between MM and CP (as evidenced by MM's press release noting that they will soon have THE MOSTEST COASTERS EVAR!).

I'm a little bias though, i do love Invertigo at KI. Outside of the 'Deja Vu's', i think its one of the better Vekoma products.

I think reasons that it could (not saying it will!) go to CP are the coaster count and also having another model right down the road could mean parts are more readily available and expertise & experience in fixing their problems are closeby as well....which could result in more uptime for both Vekomas. And CP has plenty of room for the small-ish footprint. The cost to move would be a bargain regardless of its final destination. Again, not saying i want it to go to CP, but there seem to be real reasons why its a viable option for a 2012 appearance at CP.

^^CP's marketing department can put out whatever they want and 98% of their guests wouldn't question it. If they still want to call themselves the "Coaster Capital of the World," they easily can. They've set enough records and have enough high quality coasters to call themselves that, they don't need the most coasters to do it. And they aren't going to relocate a beat up, piece of sh*t ride just to tie Magic Mountain. That's a play out of the Six Flags playbook, and CP just won't do it.

Not to mention, once again, that they aren't going to relocate a piece of sh*t Vekoma to their park. It would be like if you had a collection of Ferraris and Lamborghinis and one day decided to throw in a '72 Ford Pinto with broken windows, no engine, and rusted fenders into that collection.

C'mon people I know I may not know what I'm talking about and since I've never been on one but from what I can gather, this ride is crap.

True, it does seem that maintenance seems to be an issue with the Invertigo coasters. I don't think that it's the point folks singing its praises (me included) are making. It's actually a good, decent ride experience as compared to a standard Vekoma Boomerang. For me comparing a Standard Boomerang to the Invertigo is like night and day. They feel like and are two different ride experiences. For a Vekoma, this ride is pretty kick ass. It's rideable and doesn't beat the hell out of you like a standard boomerang does. Plus being an inverted coaster with being able to go backwards, then forwards (versus the other way around on a standard boomerang) if you sit in the "backward" seats stand out a bit for me. Peace!