TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I kinda hope this means they can refurbish/restore the old IMAX building. If they're planning to make an entertainment complex around the front gate, this could be the perfect opportunity bring it back. I recently saw a pic of what the inside currently looks, and the majority of the seats are still intact https://www.instagram.com/p/BDUC-TPjEL5/.

I hate to say it, but the IMAX will never be an IMAX again, let alone a theatre again. The ventilation in that building is shot beyond repair (underground) from years of being abandoned. They added about 200 yards of concrete to the bottom 10 rows of seating when they converted it for Haunt. The only use I could see for it aside from tearing it down and building a hypercoaster down the length of the outer maintenance road there is possibly a dark ride conversion. (Hey! Anyone want to lobby for a Disaster Transport???....lol)

This announcement is really great news for that park. I always saw such potential in it.

This is the kind of proposal I fantasize about when I'm day dreaming about how to fix ailing parks. This is exactly what this property needs, and I hope it will be an example for others to follow.

The only concern I have is what will happen to Flight Deck? From my brief survey of their overview graphic it looks like they want to use the space for an indoor facility? It's an older ride, so from the PTB standpoint I could understand why they think it would be something to replace, but it is certainly the park's best ride... It'll be a pity if they take that out and simply repaint Vortex.

The only concern I have is what will happen to Flight Deck? From my brief survey of their overview graphic it looks like they want to use the space for an indoor facility? It's an older ride, so from the PTB standpoint I could understand why they think it would be something to replace, but it is certainly the park's best ride... It'll be a pity if they take that out and simply repaint Vortex.

There is a theater in the middle of Flight Deck. I imagine they'll just repurpose that.

It could likely be a Mack water coaster.

I hope the ride planners go ride Journey to Atlantis and come to their senses before considering that.

I'm betting the "water" coaster will be a water propelled raft coaster as part of the water park expansion.

No CGA is due for a full fledged steel coaster. And with Joker opening up the road, I don't see CF messing around...

I hope the ride planners go ride Journey to Atlantis and come to their senses before considering that.

I'm betting the "water" coaster will be a water propelled raft coaster as part of the water park expansion.

No CGA is due for a full fledged steel coaster. And with Joker opening up the road, I don't see CF messing around...

Well if you look closely, there are two different water type rides. One being a master blaster and the other being a water coaster.

This is the kind of proposal I fantasize about when I'm day dreaming about how to fix ailing parks. This is exactly what this property needs, and I hope it will be an example for others to follow.

If Flight Deck were to be removed I highly doubt it would be scrapped, or stored away in a field. It would definitely be relocated to another park, most likely Michigan's Adventure.

Well seeing how there is rumors out there for Kings Island getting a B&M gate coaster next year and Canada's Wonderland getting a B&M invert the year after that means it'll probably 2019 before CGA see's their next big coaster. In the meantime, I bet we'll see a Vortex conversion and waterpark additions.

There is a theater in the middle of Flight Deck. I imagine they'll just repurpose that.

Yeah, isn't it basically right where it's marked on the map? Roughly between the lift hill and the barrel roll? The entrance to the theater just becomes outside in the entertainment district instead of inside the park (or the entrance gets swapped to the other side).

I wonder if the "re-market attraction" on the area that I think is Mass Effect means they're going to keep updating the Mass Effect ride over time or if they'll make something different in the other half (assuming Mass Effect uses just one half). There's a quote in this article from a VP at Cedar Fair that says "We do feel that dynamic content is an opportunity. This could include episodic content, non-linear storylines or seasonal variants." Could be cool if the ride gets regular content updates (assuming it's good to start with).

On the map the water coaster area is labeled ¨10¨ and is placed within the dry park.

On the map the water coaster area is labeled ¨10¨ and is placed within the dry park.

But it lists both Steel Coaster and Water coaster. Most of the others that list multiple things they are clear distinct attractions (like under #11). I wonder if the #12 where Whitewater Falls is is actually supposed to be a 10, seeing as 12 is "re-market attraction" under Vortex (although I guess it could be a remarket of Whitewater Falls). The Whitewater Falls area sure seems like it could work as a coaster, with the extra area behind it between Demon and Gold Striker...

Either way, this is probably just a rough plan, things could change (like, how are they going to get 6 new rides over 200 feet based on that map ).

Well guys, start taking your shots at specifics like the steel coaster type and name, and what you think Vortex will be re-branded as! So pumped

I would imagine that Vortex will get the same deal as Mantis did in the coming years.

Does anyone have an idea of what the timescale for a project like this would be?

Well guys, start taking your shots at specifics like the steel coaster type and name, and what you think Vortex will be re-branded as! So pumped

I would imagine that Vortex will get the same deal as Mantis did in the coming years.

Does anyone have an idea of what the timescale for a project (the whole thing, not Vortex) like this would be?

Does anyone have an idea of what the timescale for a project (the whole thing, not Vortex) like this would be?

The SV Biz journal article mentioned the rezoning plan was for roughly 20 years of development, and I read somewhere that Ouimet (or maybe it was Rehnborg) said one new ride per year for the next 10 years (presumably some of that is stuff like the re-branding of Vortex).

Sorry to break up the expansion news and speculation for a while, but CGA just posted a commercial for Mass Effect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv69fkraIl8

I'm kinda getting some Mission SPACE vibes from the new footage.

I get why they put a Reaper in there, but Mass Effect has some great world building that the last 2 games didn't take advantage of IMHO. Plus after the ending of mass effect 3, I just don't like Repears nearly as much as I did in ME 1/2. I'm hoping it's a fun ride/movie.

I think the Vortex conversion will include virtual reality. Ouimet did mention using new technologies considering CGA IS in Silicon Valley.

Although a floorless conversion will make the ride more comfortable (hopefully), I don't think it will add a whole new level of thrill to an already outdated ride. Plus CGA can totally market it as the first VR coaster of NorCal.

I think the Vortex conversion will include virtual reality. Ouimet did mention using new technologies considering CGA IS in Silicon Valley.

Although a floorless conversion will make the ride more comfortable (hopefully), I don't think it will add a whole new level of thrill to an already outdated ride. Plus CGA can totally market it as the first VR coaster of NorCal.

As long as we get the new B&M vest restraints, I think VR would be a great addition to that ride. For a small compact ride with not much of a view that would sure give it a refresh. I cant imagine having VR with the current restraints though, its rough enough as it is without not being able to see the turns coming.

As long as we get the new B&M vest restraints, I think VR would be a great addition to that ride. For a small compact ride with not much of a view that would sure give it a refresh. I cant imagine having VR with the current restraints though, its rough enough as it is without not being able to see the turns coming.

Sorry, but any B&M conversion more than likely won't ever get the newer style restraints. Ride envelope and weight issues are the main reason why you'll never see any of the older inverts receive the Banshee-style trains, so it would follow suit for the others.

In the future plan Ouimet presented, there is a possibility for Vortex to be relocated in the park, so when they move it, they could make several track modifications to help smooth it out while also converting it over to a floorless. But yeah, it seems the VR experience works better on the smaller coasters, so Vortex would be a good candidate for it, post-conversion of course.