TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Some Business Journal Writers are just too stupid. There is no way Cedar Fair would sell off Great America right now

Cedar Fair may not sell it now, but if/when a developer buys the land from underneath them with this upcoming auction, things may change.

I just hope that California's Great America doe not end up with the same fate as Six Flags Astroworld and Opryland, closed and demolished.

But, I wonder where would Great America's ride go if California's Great America does close for good?

I just hope that California's Great America doe not end up with the same fate as Six Flags Astroworld and Opryland, closed and demolished.

But, I wonder where would Great America's ride go if California's Great America does close for good?

I'm sure many of them would be scrapped. Flight Deck, and Psycho Mouse would probably be the only two coasters to be relocated. I'd say Gold Striker, but I doubt CF would put out the money it would take to relocate a wooden coaster. Now, many of the flats and family rides would definitely find new homes within the chain.

Of course, this is all speculation. Don't attack me for my thoughts lol!

Part of the reason I think CF will do anything to keep that park open is the simple fact that they invested a ton into Gold Striker and its been from my understanding a huge hit. They wouldn't want to see their investment thrown away like that.

If a developer handed them a giant check, it wouldn't matter.

The Irvine company needs to calm down and stop threatening to get ride of parks! They have already gotten rid of Wild Rivers, and I'd hate to see CGA be next.

As you can tell by my location, the Irvine Company owns a lot of stuff around where I live.

I found a post on instagram that has a map of the attractions open today. Gold Striker, Vortex, and Demon are the coasters and Xtreme Skyflyer, the Columbia Carousel, Celebration Swings, the car ride, and the observation deck. Sounds like a great time for those lucky enough to have tickets to the game.

We can see in the news a good thing:

Rehnborg reiterated his comments to me again today, highlighting plans to add new attractions, shows and events.

"In light of the fact that our ground lease runs through 2074 we have the necessary control of the property to pursue our long-term vision," he wrote. "In addition, we have also created enough financial flexibility to exercise our right of first refusal for the purchase of the property and that option will be considered as the land sale process moves forward."

And according to the Great America's image subtitle on the news, the proposed sale date is the first quarter of 2016. We can expect a end real soon.

Mass Effect will be the new attraction for 2016, can we expect a Vortex conversion for 2017 or is this already been knocked-off?

Well they just showed off the new ride system for Mass Effect. Turns out the old system is gone for good.

CavBrEwUEAAsopr.jpg:large

I was kinda hoping they'd work with Simex-Iwerks on the new system since I know they had an updated version of the old one that has built-in 4D effects. But I'm just glad they didn't get Triotech to do it. Though I'm unsure who actually developed this. Judging from this picture, it looks like the ride might not have as much motion as the previous system (mainly due to the lack of seat belts). I am interested to see how it will work in action.

UPDATE: After doing some research, I believe I can 99% confirm these seats are MediaMation's MX4D system

Edited by WayCool64

Well they just showed off the new ride system for Mass Effect. Turns out the old system is gone for good.

CavBrEwUEAAsopr.jpg:large

I was kinda hoping they'd work with Simex-Iwerks on the new system since I know they had an updated version of the old one that has built-in 4D effects. But I'm just glad they didn't get Triotech to do it. Though I'm unsure who actually developed this. Judging from this picture, it looks like the ride might not have as much motion as the previous system (mainly due to the lack of seat belts). I am interested to see how it will work in action.

This is Cedar Fair we are talking about so since there's no seat belts there's probably no motion at all.....

This is Cedar Fair we are talking about so since there's no seat belts there's probably no motion at all.....

I dunno, most of the recent news articles on the ride still says that it will be motion based. Plus looking at footage of the system on MM's website, it is capable of motion, just probably not as dynamic as the previous system.

I really really really hope California's Great America won't close cause it will completely destroy California just like Texas/Houston has been destroyed & Houston is a suckiest place to live or be in, CGA is a great park with good charm!

Are you saying that California's Great America has become the "Six Flags Astroworld" of Cedar Fair?