TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

But why would they be manufacturing track for a coaster in Europe in the US?

It's quite common for B&M to do it. The only other factory producing B&M track is Gipponi, Italy. Given the european economy it's most likely cheaper to build the track in Italy, but it's most likely no space for it in the factory's schedule.

^Still I'm a bit surprised they will rather build it and then ship it across the Atlantic.

I know right, shipping a gigantic roller coaster overseas seems like it'd be ridiculously expensive

Shipping by ocean is relatively cheaper per mile than transit by truck when it comes to large items. Just consider how many truck are need to transport the pieces. I'm not saying that is the only factor at play here.

If the track is being fabricated overseas there is a good business reason for it.

Edited by larrygator

There's already businesses named Centurion and that's trademarked so hello 325 foot tall Fury 325!

I will be making my first trip to Carowinds next Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. Any tips I should know for this park?

The only major tip is to get Nighthawk out of the way first thing in the morning. The other rides shouldn't be a problem.

...so hello 325 foot tall Fury 325!

Do we really need to add the 325 to the name, that is, if that's what this new coaster is going to be called? They should keep with the tradition of calling everything Carolina, i.e. Carolina Cyclone, Carolina Cobra, Carolina Goldrusher, Carolina Sky Tower.

Actually Carolina Fury doesn't sound that bad either.

I will be making my first trip to Carowinds next Monday. I'm really looking forward to it. Any tips I should know for this park?

Also, if you are at all interested in the waterpark area, hit the two new slides right away when the waterpark opens or the lines will get unbelievably long. We just went and while the coaster side of the park was basically empty, the new slides had super long lines that move very slow.

Also, consider parking in the back by Afterburn, it was easy to get multiple rides on it right when the park opened with no waiting.

We will get in early thanks to Platinum passes so whatever is opened during that that's what we will hit first. I want to try the new slides so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

We will get in early thanks to Platinum passes so whatever is opened during that that's what we will hit first. I want to try the new slides so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Good call.

The strange thing was that around 3pm last Friday (the day we were there) - Nighthawk had only a one train wait.

I was thankful that the park was running all 3 trains on Intimidator and had very minor stacking - that crew was working their butts off. It was possible to get re-rides if no one was in your row or just to move to a different row. The front row wait was 3 trains maybe the entire time.

Have fun!

How often do they use the Afterburn gate? When I was there three years ago they never opened it and I had to take the long walk to the main entrance.

Not sure how often they use it but they did have signs up on the main entrance where you pay for parking that that specific gate was open that day.

There were maybe 20 people back there at park opening.

Look at the page number. It's a sign!

I was at the park this past Saturday, and I really liked it. Crowds weren't bad, and the it wasn't too hot. It did rain for maybe 30 minutes, but it was a nice break from the heat to sit down and relax. We did every major ride, and overall I thought it was a really nice park. I actually really liked Intimidator, and thought it had a nice amount of airtime. Hurler was not bad at all with the retracking, and was better than KD's (which I also just rode for the first time and didn't find it particularly rough, just very vibrate-y and kind of boring). My favorite of the day might have actually been Nighthawk. I had never been on a flying roller coaster before and thought it was awesome; the feeling is really cool, and the loop was super forceful.

Good day, and will definitely be back!

They probably aren't doing heavy promotion because the whole world knows it's gonna a giga coaster (as the public dubs it, a coaster over 300 feet.) It's Fury 325, tallest, and fastest non-launched coaster in the world. Carowinds on the map! Nice job Cedar Fair! Using $50 million dollar properly.