TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I don't post a lot, but I am a Carowinds fan. With that said why does everyone want a hyper, I personally have only been on one hyper (Superman at Six Flags America), I mean don't get me wrong it was fun, kinda boring, but fun. So again I ask why hyper? Why not something smaller? Something launched? Maybe something from Premier or Intamin or dare I say it another Vekoma (this time new)? A hyper (I think) would stick out like a sore thumb. Just my thoughts.

Does anyone think it will be something other then a hyper

because carowinds is famous for little coaster's.

And for proof carowinds has never got a coaster above 140ft.

I do think it will be something big and I already have my

hope's up for 2010.

... In my opinion, Maverick at CP is great. Its only 105 feet tall. And Furious Baco or w/e it called is IDK how tall but goes 80 something miles per hour.

^The difference is, Goliath's strong G-forces are consistent throughout the helix, while boomerangs' strong G-forces last for only an instant, before dropping to something much more manageable.

I've never ridden a boomerang in the front seat without slightly blacking out...

You know a park needs help when a Boomerang is an improvement.

Erm..it's not..a Boomerang isn't an improvement from a B&M Invert. Carolina Cobra is just to a) put something in place of FSS, which Cedar Fair didn't want to put money into to fix, and b) Keep the GP on their feet until 2010. I live in Charlotte, and my GP friends are going CRAZY about this coaster. They think its a state of the art, scary roller coaster; they also know exactly what they're getting. Charlotte citizens have seen the layout because there was a whole article about the coaster in The Charlotte Observer. So, everyone know's what to expect with this coaster, and they are very excited about it (GP wise)

Carowinds owns 153 acres in North Carolina. Most of which is used by the park and the campground. The woods behind Hurler are NOT owned by Carowinds, they are owned by a railroad. Amazing what information is on public websites.

I would be interested in knowing the actual popularity of the campground. I know that it might be used by small parties like youth groups and reunions but I think that CF will let it be because the land is in a awkward location in relation to the rest of the park. It is true about the woods near Hurler though and the only real direction I see the park expanding in would be via parking lot.

Carowinds has two entrances, the main gate and the south gate near Afterburn. I think CF should use the land gained from the removal of the Flume along with some of the adjacent parking. There is parking on the other side of Thunder Road that is RARELY utilized so using some up for a coaster footprint wouldn't hinder parking too much. Also, around that area of the park (Flume), there are also a few covered picnic areas that CF could very well get rid of with whatever "Future Attractions" they have planned.

Carowinds owns 153 acres in North Carolina. Most of which is used by the park and the campground. The woods behind Hurler are NOT owned by Carowinds, they are owned by a railroad. Amazing what information is on public websites.

I would be interested in knowing the actual popularity of the campground. I know that it might be used by small parties like youth groups and reunions but I think that CF will let it be because the land is in a awkward location in relation to the rest of the park. It is true about the woods near Hurler though and the only real direction I see the park expanding in would be via parking lot.

Carowinds has two entrances, the main gate and the south gate near Afterburn. I think CF should use the land gained from the removal of the Flume along with some of the adjacent parking. There is parking on the other side of Thunder Road that is RARELY utilized so using some up for a coaster footprint wouldn't hinder parking too much. Also, around that area of the park (Flume), there are also a few covered picnic areas that CF could very well get rid of with whatever "Future Attractions" they have planned.

CF should really go easy on rapid expansion of the the former paramount parks,remember SFI ended up putting themselves into debt a decade ago when they began their rapid "over expansion" of the former Premiere parks & look what that got them as a result.

Sure we all would like to see new coasters added at the former PP properties but it's just not a wise financial move on CF's part right now to follow in SFI's disasterous footsteps by going down that road.By making smaller investments over time to the parks with an ocassional coaster here & there the chain will do better in the long run & that means more money for future installations down the road.

The removal of the flume doesn't automatically mean new coaster in 2010.Why does every one think that whenever an older ride is removed a new coaster is gonna take it's place? that land can be used to just as easily add a new section of thrilling flats to the park instead,and with CC coming in 09 I wouldn't expect Carowinds to recieve a new coaster for a couple of years afterward.

CF should really go easy on rapid expansion of the the former paramount parks,remember SFI ended up putting themselves into debt a decade ago when they began their rapid "over expansion" of the former Premiere parks & look what that got them as a result.

Sure we all would like to see new coasters added at the former PP properties but it's just not a wise financial move on CF's part right now to follow in SFI's disasterous footsteps by going down that road.By making smaller investments over time to the parks with an ocassional coaster here & there the chain will do better in the long run & that means more money for future installations down the road.

The removal of the flume doesn't automatically mean new coaster in 2010.Why does every one think that whenever an older ride is removed a new coaster is gonna take it's place? that land can be used to just as easily add a new section of thrilling flats to the park instead,and with CC coming in 09 I wouldn't expect Carowinds to recieve a new coaster for a couple of years afterward.

I can understand where you are coming from, and honestly, Carowinds is extremely saturated in the coaster department. (Not a bad thing) I do find it hard to believe that CF would ad ANOTHER coaster within 5 years of the relocated boomerang. Especially with how much they have probably spent on promoting the new ride, I can agree that it just doesn't seem financially smart to repeat the process without knowing the true success of the marketing plan. Maybe CF will use Diamondback and its method of success as a template for something new and large for Carowinds down the road.

At least the removal of the Log Flume frees up a good amount of land. As a kid I loved the ride, especially the final drop but if the removal allows room for some new flat rides, I am all for that. However, it is disturbing to see that CF likes to remove water-type rides in favor of other rides, hopefully the Rapids wont be the next to go.

I don't think carowinds is getting respect for example the site says that

Night Hawk is taller then Afterburn in the description but if you look at the

facts the description is wrong. Other sites say Afterburn is only 113 feet

tall I know that can't be right.

By the way I still want to know what carowinds is getting in 2010.

CF should really go easy on rapid expansion of the the former paramount parks,remember SFI ended up putting themselves into debt a decade ago when they began their rapid "over expansion" of the former Premiere parks & look what that got them as a result..

I wanted to remark on your post there. Where I think it's wise to create a new marquee attraction for each of their newly aquired Paramount parks, Im not one to think the answer for each is a $20+ Million B&M. Fortunatly, we know that wasen't the cost on Dominator and wont be the cost on the GCI still planned for Great America.

The Difference between Cedar Fair and Premeir Parks is that even though they both spent a large amount of money buying up parks, the Paramount Parks made more money and steadier attendance than the dozen or so parks Premeir bought. Also, when Cedar Fair obtained the loan to those parks, they also took out a seperate $500,000,000 credit loan towards park improvements which they have been using.

Don't worry, they won't be making all the same mistakes that Premier/Six Flags made.

CF should really go easy on rapid expansion of the the former paramount parks,remember SFI ended up putting themselves into debt a decade ago when they began their rapid "over expansion" of the former Premiere parks & look what that got them as a result..

I wanted to remark on your post there. Where I think it's wise to create a new marquee attraction for each of their newly aquired Paramount parks, Im not one to think the answer for each is a $20+ Million B&M. Fortunatly, we know that wasen't the cost on Dominator and wont be the cost on the GCI still planned for Great America.

The Difference between Cedar Fair and Premeir Parks is that even though they both spent a large amount of money buying up parks, the Paramount Parks made more money and steadier attendance than the dozen or so parks Premeir bought. Also, when Cedar Fair obtained the loan to those parks, they also took out a seperate $500,000,000 credit loan towards park improvements which they have been using.

Don't worry, they won't be making all the same mistakes that Premier/Six Flags made.

True John & unlike SF/Premiere CF only purchased an additional 5 parks while SF ended up adding 12 or more to their portfolio.Fewer parks total means less money needs to be spent on yearly cap ex projects & CF has a very good reputation for park improvements....sure some parks may be slower to see such improvements but eventually the improvements are made.

^ I totally agree, a good GCI would be great for Carowinds in the future. I'd also love to see a BIG B&M Floorless and an Maverick/Farenheit style Intamin. Those types of coasters added over the next, hmm, i guess the next 10-12 years would definately bring the park a lot of publicity. Not to mention whatever new types of coasters are invented in the next few years that become popular.

I guess that sounds sort-of unrealistic if you really think about it. Oh well, a guy can only dream.

But first things first....

We gotta get that hyper in 2010