TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Nickelodeon Universe / American Dream Discussion Thread

I really believed this project would be a no brainer, slam dunk success but

[attachment=0]oncrack.gif[/attachment]

Yes I am, but I obviously haven't smoked as much as the people behind the pricing options

I mean there is nothing like this in the region I didnt really consider that WEM and MOA were in areas without alot of year round entertainment. The shopping I never really thought anything of but I definitely was expecting more immediate success in the entertainment area. We'll see how the waterpark goes, I could see the waterpark being more successful than the theme park. Also who knows maybe this holiday season the park will succeed, they haven't really done advertising in the area yet maybe when they do it will gain some traction and we'll start seeing lines, it's still only been one week...

Given how busy MOA and Nick Universe are I will assume once the mall fully opens this place will be busy given its location. I also think new Parks should get supported. Locals need to check this place out. I was planning a trip here in early Feb until I found out the mall wasn't opening till March. For me to fly there and make a 3 day weekend of it I'd want the whole place open. If I were local though I'd be all over an indoor park

At first I was concerned about the price tag as well, but being completely unfamiliar with the area, I finally saw it on Google Maps and realized they're basically a stone's throw from Manhattan... so basically I'm not really surprised by the slight higher admission cost anymore due to its location.

Also, I think I need to point this out: I'm just now noticing that the freefall water slide in the water park is listed as 142 feet tall. Guys, that makes an INDOOR water slide the world's second tallest water slide (first place is 164 feet and is in Brazil). There's a photo on Twitter of the insanely tall thing.

[fbvideonew][/fbvideonew]

I also think new Parks should get supported. Locals need to check this place out If I were local though I'd be all over an indoor park

I agree with you and that's why I went even when I knew most of the major stuff wouldnt be open but I at least thought shellraiser would be, whatever i can go back for free whenever and at least they're giving rainchecks. I wish they had thought out their first month of operation more

Locals need to check this place out.
^ Yes, but locals probably want to have coasters operating before they check it out.

I've been a lurker here for some time. Finally decided to register and post my thoughts.

Yes, we locals have been constantly checking it out. Whether in person, on TV, or online. I live 16 minutes away when there's no traffic. I checked it out on opening weekend. Impressive, but at the same time, a little worrisome.

I feel that what may backfire a bit on Triple Five is that $80 price tag for Fri-Sun. I think Triple Five, or their marketing team, may have over-estimated the area. The tri-state region has affluent people, but also middle and lower wage earners. The reason Garden State Plaza remains as a top earning mall is because it has something for everyone of all incomes. (Not just the free parking and because we're Jersey, no sales tax on clothing.) It feels like Australia understood us better than Canada.

Already, the $50-$60 price tag for Nickelodeon is considered a bit high by most locals for this kind of park size. Out-of-staters and tourists would definitely see that too. Hence, as long as the price tag remains way above the average $50 threshold, it is going to be seen as insane.

It's like paying for an instant one time Fast Past fee so you get no lines, no crowds, and pretty much, keeping the trouble makers out. If that was their intention, so be it, but I'd like to see this place succeed. No doubt, it will attract families, rich people and coaster thrill seekers. But, this park needs to do more than just rides and costumed characters in order to not alienate people. It has to give people a big reason why this $80 is super justifiable because that price is already almost Universal/Disney standards. Even the upcoming Kidzania will probably have more kids/families than Nickelodeon because the prices should be more justifiable too.

I'm really looking forward to the Dreamworks water park. I only pray that the price stays reasonable (like $30-40) compared to Nickelodeon. Imagine if the price was $80 to enter a water park. People would riot. The locals are not stupid. Price is always a factor. Not just the "build it, and they will come" mentality.

Speaking of the water park, here's a Youtube video of a 10 year old surfer riding in its wave pool. Looks good.

Locals need to check this place out.

I'm really looking forward to the Dreamworks water park. I only pray that the price stays reasonable (like $30-40) compared to Nickelodeon. Imagine if the price was $80 to enter a water park. People would riot. The locals are not stupid. Price is always a factor. Not just the "build it, and they will come" mentality.

Have you seen the prices for the indoor waterparks in the Poconos?

Kalahari

11-09-2019 Waterpark General

All Day Waterpark Pass

I would expect the same ballpark.

I had no idea that Kalahari raised prices that much. I looked up prices a while ago and even at $79.99 for a day thought it was too much. I'd rather go to Aquatopia at Camelback for $59.99. I guess that explains why H2Oooohh! in Lake Harmony supposedly is so crowded all the time because of the $20 admission with coupon codes on Groupon (the horrible reviews with only 2 out of 3 slides open have kept me from visiting).

Maybe there will be a combo water park and amusement ticket offered to help keep the price down.

Edited by YoshiFan

Be prepared to pay $60 on a weekday or $80 on a weekend for like 5 adult rides. If they don't change their pricing model yet again by that time. Or close down all together due to lack of attendance.

I had no idea that Kalahari raised prices that much. I looked up prices a while ago and even at $79.99 for a day thought it was too much. I'd rather go to Aquatopia at Camelback for $59.99. I guess that explains why H2Oooohh! in Lake Harmony supposedly is so crowded all the time because of the $20 admission with coupon codes on Groupon (the horrible reviews with only 2 out of 3 slides open have kept me from visiting).

Maybe there will be a combo water park and amusement ticket offered to help keep the price down.

I thought about going once, saw the prices, and noped right out.

In other news, the one store that was supposed to open was delayed again

Your sweet tooth will have to wait.

A three-story candy department store -- called IT’SUGAR -- that was expected to open on Friday at American Dream, when the mega-mall makes its debut, won’t be ready.

The store will instead open on Thursday, November 7, almost two weeks after the long-anticipated complex opens its doors, a store representative said.

https://www.nj.com/bergen/2019/10/we-thought-this-american-dream-store-was-opening-friday-its-not.html

Be prepared to pay $60 on a weekday or $80 on a weekend for like 5 adult rides. If they don't change their pricing model yet again by that time. Or close down all together due to lack of attendance.

So $12 per ride? No fun yeah, but not really unheard of... And hey I'll be there in 3 weeks so hey better go while there's the opportunity before it does shut down!

When the hell else will I get to ride Takabisha?

I'll tell ya, I wont. So I ok with it

So $12 per ride? No fun yeah, but not really unheard of... And hey I'll be there in 3 weeks so hey better go while there's the opportunity before it does shut down!

When the hell else will I get to ride Takabisha?

I'll tell ya, I wont. So I ok with it

I would definitely pay to visit once for that coaster alone if I didn't have to cover the airfare from California. I guess it is a balancing act. If they charge too little, the place is packed with two-hour lines with no fun for anyone. If they charge too much, not enough people attend to cover their costs and they go belly up. Hopefully, they have market figured out and react quickly to attendance figures to change prices if needed.

Have you seen the prices for the indoor waterparks in the Poconos?

Kalahari

11-09-2019 Waterpark General

All Day Waterpark Pass

I would expect the same ballpark.

Oh, I did visit those indoor water parks last year. Not to go inside, but just to take a look. I had no idea Kalahari raised their prices either. However, they also vary on pricing pending on whether it's a weekday or a weekend, and the month. I can also see why Kalahari is the highest amongst them all. More things to do at the resort, itself.

Hm... You could be right though. At least, that's Kalahari. It's the most expensive out of the indoor waterpark triangle over there. I did visit Camelbeach in the summer time and got a good rate on it. Not Camelback, because it was all sold out. (Even Camelback had a more reasonable price.)

Hence, the Dreamworks Waterpark would be my main go-to place regardless of the price. It would be pretty understandable if the price range was closer to Kalahari's. Just not the 110+ range. I'd visit on a weekday anyways. Less people.

ITT: It's Sugar! can take its time opening up. I've visited its Atlantic City location a couple of times and once in NYC. It's just a giant candy store. People, with sweet tooths, will definitely eat it up. Kids will love it. I suppose, the American Dream version will stand out a bit different from its other locations. I'm glad that store exists in Atlantic City, because there really is nothing much to do down there asides from Steel Pier and a beach. (Ok, I'm not a gambler. The restaurants are super expensive. The mall is almost pretty dead, asides from that candy store.)

I would definitely pay to visit once for that coaster alone if I didn't have to cover the airfare from California. I guess it is a balancing act. If they charge too little, the place is packed with two-hour lines with no fun for anyone. If they charge too much, not enough people attend to cover their costs and they go belly up. Hopefully, they have market figured out and react quickly to attendance figures to change prices if needed.

You hit it on the nail. It is a balancing act. I also really hope they figure out everything before it gets too late. On Google reviews, you can see how some people are just "thrilled" on paying for parking, alone. One review got the management's response back saying "Parking is free". But, that would be for the whole trial period? On Youtube, someone replied that they may change the parking to free parking? It's pretty confusing with Triple Five so far.

Disney raising their prices, in increments, in three decades is one thing. Nickelodeon raising their prices, in just one month, without being fully 100% operational, is on a whole different head scratcher level of a dimension.

Disney raising their prices, in increments, in three decades is one thing. Nickelodeon raising their prices, in just one month, without being fully 100% operational, is on a whole different head scratcher level of a dimension.

Here's the thing, though. American Dream has been advertising the prices during the current soft opening as a "preview period". Maybe if they came out at the beginning and said "hey our normal prices will be $60 on weekdays and $80 on weekends, but during this first month, we're giving all our early visitors a discount", it would be received differently... but pretty much all I hear from the media reporting on it is "they're RAISING prices already!!!!11".

Either way, I certainly hope that they have all their certs sorted out by the date they're expecting to start charging $80 per ticket, else they're going to get rightfully hammered.

The Kalahari's and Great Wold Lodge's maybe aren't an entirely fair comparison the Nick Universe because yes the day passes can be $100+ but those resorts also offer hotel rooms where the water park is included. I haven't been to one personally but we've looked several times at going to a Great Wolf Lodge and they have room offerings in the $200-$300 range which would include 4-5 water park passes, so it's a little different than what's available at Nick Universe.

Personally the price for this seems maybe a little high but not that much different than some other similar parks in other markets. It's still too early to really evaluate it until the whole place is fully operational, water park, mall, and everything.

The Kalahari's and Great Wold Lodge's maybe aren't an entirely fair comparison the Nick Universe because yes the day passes can be $100+ but those resorts also offer hotel rooms where the water park is included. I haven't been to one personally but we've looked several times at going to a Great Wolf Lodge and they have room offerings in the $200-$300 range which would include 4-5 water park passes, so it's a little different than what's available at Nick Universe.

Personally the price for this seems maybe a little high but not that much different than some other similar parks in other markets. It's still too early to really evaluate it until the whole place is fully operational, water park, mall, and everything.

I get what you're saying, but if they're open for business then it's fair to evaluate what they are currently offering

Kalahari is also not transit accessible. There are millions of people in the region without cars who are pretty much limited to Hurricane Harbor if they want to reach a water pack on a bus.

Sadly, I think it will be very pricey.

I do like water parks though. I hope theyll have a Wednesday groupon or something and I can take a day off work and visit it.

^ Hopefully it opens back up. When I looked earlier, I noticed Shellraiser is now listed as closed on the website.

Oh I deff would consult the site before going! I was shocked this place even opened at all and the website......does not fill me with confidence

But hey, its literally a few miles up the highway from me, so IF its open since I'll be in the state, worth a quick stop. If it isn't running well no loss. Pretty sweet deal.

Wow I did not realize there was another coaster blended in there with the Eurofighter. I just read it's a Intamin mini launch like a smaller Premier Sky Rocket. Not open yet obviously.

No, the coaster intertwined with the Eurofighter is a Gerstlauer spinning coaster (both open). The intamin short loop and half pipe coasters are still yet to open but the park has said the latter is expected to be open by this weekend. The Chance family coaster has been open on weekend but closed intermittently during the week - presumably to make adjustments to the restraints, which were a complaint on opening day and the park promised were going to be fixed.

Over all, it does seem like the facility wasn’t quite ready (lacking the food court that is slated for between the park and water park and the large Nickelodeon gift shop). But, while expensive, the park is in a market where an all day pass at nearby Luna Park is only 10 dollars cheaper (and with an included ropes course, some additional unique rides, character greeting and climate control, that would seem to make sense). This is a city where people pay $250 to see a 2 hour Broadway show.

With a metro area population of 21 million and NYC seeing over 60 million tourists annually, if they’re looking for a price point to keep crowds to a minimum, but still keep people coming in, it would probably be on the high side.

I would be disappointed, however, if once the mall opens they don’t allow you to pay per ride so you can ride one roller coaster between your holiday shopping.

I would also tend to agree with the predictions or a water park all day pass being over $100.