TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I think California adventure should be a little more for the older kids than for the little. What i'm trying to say is that DCA should keep the Maliboomer and the Orange stringer for the older kids and adults. They should instead put the Toy Story Mania right next to the cars section and the tower of terror. Move the parking lot little bit so that can fit and the parking lot should be moved across the street. I think they also need to add an indiana jones roller coaster that goes upsidedown so the older kids have something to look up for if they take down Maliboomer and the Orange Stringer. I think the cars section and the toy story mania is a good idea for the park to draw more people attention, but i don't think they should be in the places they are in right know. I think they should make on of those who wants to be a millionaire game shows.

I think California adventure should be a little more for the older kids than for the little. What i'm trying to say is that DCA should keep the Maliboomer and the Orange stringer for the older kids and adults. They should instead put the Toy Story Mania right next to the cars section and the tower of terror. Move the parking lot little bit so that can fit and the parking lot should be moved across the street.

DCA has plenty for older kids. Screamin, ToT, GRR, Mulholland Madness, Soarin. DCA is not removing Maliboomer and Orange Stinger because they want a more family atmosphere. They just do not go with the new theme of Paradise Pier. Toy Story Mania would not fit with the Carsland or Hollywood theme. It fits very well with the new Paradise Pier theme. Also it's not that easy to move a parking lot, especially when there are several hotels across the street taking up that space.

I think they also need to add an indiana jones roller coaster that goes upsidedown so the older kids have something to look up for if they take down Maliboomer and the Orange Stringer.

What do you call California Screamin? A kiddy coaster?

I think the cars section and the toy story mania is a good idea for the park to draw more people attention, but i don't think they should be in the places they are in right know.

What's wrong with the Carsland location? Cause it's taking the space of a small parking lot? That parking lot is not as important to salvage as you might think.

I think they should make on of those who wants to be a millionaire game shows.

They had one. They removed it. It's not coming back. End of story.

Oh, and a Little Mermaid log ride would NOT be a good idea because:

A) They are putting in a Little Mermaid dark ride

B) They have Splash Mountain next door

To come up with a new idea w/o it being too similar to A and B would be practically impossible.

It's good to see a little money going into Eisner's Frankenstein baby, the "original" park was such a mismash of areas and themes. Making the entrance reflect Los Angeles circa Walt's glory days is a great. Where is DCA? Right next door to the park Walt built when he couldn't find enough room in Burbank. They're going back to their entertainment roots-Disneyland is about the fantasy, DCA is about how we create it.

When Snow White came out in 1937, people thought Walt was nuts for putting out a full length cartoon-the conventional wisdom was that he would lose his shirt-it's good to remind everyone of this with that theater marquee.

Good to see a little bit of Roger Rabbit with those trolley cars, Toontown was kind of a first try at this California theming. It would be nice if the Monorail stopped near the Hollywood backlot-nice tie-in between Toontown and Backlot.

Areas like Condor flats always seemed to be half done-empty space that had stuff crammed into it. Soarin' was a good choice for the area-kind of an updated theater in the round, but there needed to be more desert/airplane stuff to do in the area-maybe a SLC themed to airplanes-ALA Top Gun except with flying Beavers.

• 2 weeks later...

Always love looking at Disney concept art, Disneyandmore posted these early DCA concept artworks, bummer they didn't follow through with some:

Just LOVE this Disney style facade and surrounding theming instead of the flat bland one we ended up with.

WOW, so they were indeed planning a Shoot-the-Chutes!

A carnival vomitron double ferris wheel, wtf were they thinking???

Check out all the concept art here, thanks disneyandmore!

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2007/12/disney-california-adventure-original.html

^^ Exactly, from what I heard, as bad as the present day CA themed park in CA idea was, had they gone with what all was originally planned, it would have been so much more impressive than what we ended up with.

Golden Dreams was originally designed to be a huge major animatronic filled dark ride spectacular on the scale of POC. GRR was suppose to be AA filled, and we were suppose to have our own version of The Great Movie Ride. But the Eisners/Presslers kept slashing and slashing away, ditching all the expensive AA's and dark rides, figuring movies and standard SF type rides was more than good enough for the clueless Disney park fans. These egomaniacs were so convinced their stripped down DCA would be such a home run, they planned on using DL as the overflow park to deal with the capacity crowds they expected to flood the park. DCA's enormous failure is a tribute to how clueless Eisner was when it came to the Disney park side of the business.

I think its funny how the original DCA concept art is so much better than the little mermaid concept art they released...maybe it's their way of fooling the accounts into thinking there's nothing they can cut out?

IMO, DCA is still a really nice park. I think people would be calling it one of the top 5 nicest parks in the world if it wasn't a Disney park. But that's the problem. It's a Disney park across from Disneyland, so the bar is automatically raised too high.

IMO, DCA is still a really nice park. I think people would be calling it one of the top 5 nicest parks in the world if it wasn't a Disney park. But that's the problem. It's a Disney park across from Disneyland, so the bar is automatically raised too high.

Top 5 Amusement parks maybe, it doesn't even come close as a theme park to being in the top 5 IMO

Well I can see if Universal built DCA in another area of Cal it might have worked with out Disneyland across the way. Its a good small park like MGM, kinda a half day park.

That's just it though, Universal wouldn't build DCA

At the same time Disney was building DCA, Universal was building IOA...classic case of right vs. wrong theme park design

Top 5 Amusement parks maybe, it doesn't even come close as a theme park to being in the top 5 IMO

I agree, in actuality it's only because of it's proximity to DL that the park is still operating today. The high yearly attendance includes multi-day park hoppers that are there on vacation for DL, very few of the reported attendance numbers actually come from single day tickets sales for DCA only.

Look at it this way, just imagine if this full priced park was built as a stand alone anywhere else in the US. Eisner might have suckered people into forking over their $60 once for his half day park, but who in their right mind would come back again and again paying the over-inflated full price for 1 big coaster, a good Imax simulator and rapids ride (the only worthy rides the park opened with). When they could instead enjoy a full days worth of fun driving out to any SF, CF or Busch park instead with 5 times the number of rides and attractions for a lot cheaper. Granted they've added a lot to DCA since opening (thanks to DL's numbers), but without the overflow from DL next to it to provide bodies in the gate, as a stand alone expensive half day park, would surely have gone bankrupt years ago.