TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

^ I agree with Guardian at opening since it's unique and has putrid capacity.

I've never understood the hate for Volares. I've always enjoyed them. The real coaster that tries to kill you at Canada's Wonderland is Flight Deck.

Yeah, for me, Flight Deck is definitely the bottom of the coaster barrel there. Volare's are uncomfortable as all get out, and certainly a wonky ride experience. However, if I was forced to pick one of the two coaster types to ride repeatedly for the rest of my life (which won't last very long either way!), I'd go with Volares over a Vekoma Hang n Bang, personally.

I visited Canada's Wonderland last Monday and I gotta say, it's an awesome park! Even though it took me almost an hour to find a stand that had the refillable bottle I already bought online (because they were all out everywhere), and the food service wasn't the quickest, I thoroughly enjoyed the rides (well except for those two in the corner I just needed for credits ), and Yukon Striker was amazing! I had FL+ and got onto Yukon Striker within 5-10 minutes! Everything else was a walk on essentially. The only meal I had was at Pizza Pizza, which was pretty good for theme park quality food. Some of the drink stands (excluding the freestyle machines, you can never go wrong with those) tasted like the pop was flat, very odd. The flats are AMAZING. I sadly missed Sledgehammer, but Psyclone was fun, I loved Lumberjack, Soaring Timbers was a fun experience, Skyhawk (EVEN THOUGH I CANNOT GET A SINGLE FLIP, PLEASE TELL ME HOW) was unique and enjoyable, and you can never go wrong with a Windseeker. I missed 4 credits (of course the kids coaster, Silver Streak, Bat and the maintenance nightmare Guardian). Overall, I'd come back sometime, as it's relatively in my area and not a far drive! (:

Yukon Striker: Like I said, AMAZING. The dive into the tunnel is amazing and it's so cool how that interacts with Vortex, the inversions gave some floater, and I thought the 2nd drop was fun, but of course it wasn't as good as the 1st half of the ride. Still not a fan of vest restraints though, they dig into my hips (I'm skinny lol).

Leviathan: All I have to say is: BACK ROW. Outstanding giga, and it's often in the shadow of Fury and I305, but it still packs a punch. Night rides on this baby are so fun.

Behemoth: Opposite of Leviathan: NO BACK ROW. It was amazing in the front, got air on every hill, but in the back you get that iconic B&M rattle that gives me a headache on the bottom of every drop.

Minebuster: An okay woodie! I thought it was enjoyable till the drops on the way back from the turnaround, but I'd come back to ride it the next time I go, it wasn't terrible.

Wild Beast: It's below MCB in my books, wasn't as enjoyable. I'd probably skip this woodie on my next visit.

Time Warp: ...MY HIPS.

Flight Deck: ...MY EVERYTHING.

Ghoster Coaster: These woodies are pretty fun at Cedar Fair parks, and I got a little airtime in the back row!

Dragon Fyre/Fire(?): Literally the park is so confused with it's name, the app will say one spelling of Fire/Fyre, then the sign says the other, then rcdb says the first one lol. It's not that enjoyable of a ride, I'd skip it next time.

Backlot: Unexpected launch! The ride ops say nothing when the ride is beginning, at least on this for me, and the launch was pretty good! Overall, I liked this coaster, although I wish it had the effects like the others do.

Vortex: Such an amazing suspended coaster! It's a very scenic ride and like I said, really cool how it now interacts with Yukon.

Fly: It's a wild mouse coaster lol.

Thunder Run: A pretty cool family coaster! The effects in the mountain were a nice touch.

Sounds like a great time!

They definitely don't know how to stock the soda around the park properly. We have the paper cup plan and the regular fountains tend to be flat as you said (or out of syrup, too). The freestyles are normally good, though. It has been like this for years for whatever reason. I always take a little swig of whatever I'm drinking before filling up the cup at this park.

Yukon is a good time. Good thing you had FL+.

Vortex is also an amazing time. It often gets overlooked but it's fantastic.

Rating of Time Warp from 1 to 10?

Dragon Fire had a temporary name change this year along with knightmares and wild beast to celebrate their ye olde heritage.

Sorry about Guardian, with all the problems it has though it may have been in your best interest. I always used to recommend this for a fun ride, but it really has fallen off the deep end the past few years. Maybe if I'm lucky they will get the kinks worked out for Zombies @ Haunt. Ha.

oooh! Didn't know about the olde heritage thing haha, that's pretty cool!

Guardian was open, was in line, then a bag got stuck on the ride and they had to dismantle a car, closed for majority of the day, opened up BUT couldn't bring bags w/ you, went to get a locker, uh oh, THEY'RE SOLD OUT. Saw the short line and you could bring bags on at night but OH WAIT we're closing off the line early. It was stupid and I was annoyed, almost missed my 100th credit on my coaster road trip.

Time Warp was a 2 out of 10, I rode Screamin' Eagle a while ago and it was enjoyable, so expectations were reasonable, but god it was awful. I felt like I was holding on for dear life and if I didn't I was gonna fall out.

Dragon Fire had a temporary name change this year along with knightmares and wild beast to celebrate their ye olde heritage.

oooh! Didn't know about the olde heritage thing haha, that's pretty cool!

The ride name changes in Medieval Faire this year are not temporary. They are actually the original names used from 1981 through 1996. From 1997 through 2018 they had modernized names, without the pseudo spelling. The rides within the Medieval Faire section that received their original names this year include the following (names used from 1997-2018 are on the left side) :

-Dragon Fire - Dragon Fyre

-Wild Beast - Wilde Beast

-Nightmares - Wilde Knight Mares

- The Rage - Viking's Rage

Also, Wonderland Theatre was renamed Canterbury Theatre for the 2019 season, a name it had from 1981 through 1993. It is quite nice how the park touched on its original historical roots within the Medieval Faire section this season. The signs that the park sign shop made also look awesome, especially the Dragon Fyre sign which looks similar to the original one used from 1981 to 1996.

Continuing on with your random post, here's another example. A Canadian police thriller show called Flashpont filmed an episode at Wonderland... with a father and his stolen baby running up to the top of the lift hill of Flight Deck.

Just a random post... I know it's a really old show at this point but my wife started watching Hemlock Grove on Netflix and I happened to look up and immediately noticed Canada's Wonderland making an appearance --

I think my favorite thing about this is that they have the park based in Pennsylvania yet instead of using one of the many amazing parks in the state, they chose Canada’s Wonderland instead. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just love that concept since it’s almost ironic that they didn’t use a PA Park (is this a Canadian production? I know they have some strict rules about locations for filming, I wonder if that’s why they chose Wonderland?)

Regardless it’s always awesome to see parks like this!

But come on, they expect me to believe the exit for the park is between drop tower and leviathan (or PennsylMania if I remember correctly)? Nice try, Hollywood. Nice try.

Just a random post... I know it's a really old show at this point but my wife started watching Hemlock Grove on Netflix and I happened to look up and immediately noticed Canada's Wonderland making an appearance --

I think my favorite thing about this is that they have the park based in Pennsylvania yet instead of using one of the many amazing parks in the state, they chose Canada’s Wonderland instead. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, I just love that concept since it’s almost ironic that they didn’t use a PA Park (is this a Canadian production? I know they have some strict rules about locations for filming, I wonder if that’s why they chose Wonderland?)

Regardless it’s always awesome to see parks like this!

But come on, they expect me to believe the exit for the park is between drop tower and leviathan (or PennsylMania if I remember correctly)? Nice try, Hollywood. Nice try.

I've never even heard of this show, but this was the first result that came up when I googled it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemlock_Grove_(TV_series)

Development and production

After McGreevy pushed for the series to be filmed in the Pittsburgh area, production was expected to start in early June 2012 and last until November.[19][20] In mid May, Gaumont International Television pulled out of Pennsylvania in favor of production at the Cinespace Film Studios in Toronto.[21] The move came about after Gaumont management had a misunderstanding on how the Pennsylvania Film Tax Credit program works.[22] Filming began on July 13, 2012 in Port Perry, Ontario; a small town about 40 miles (63 km) northeast of Toronto that has been transformed to look like Hemlock Grove, the fictional Western Pennsylvania town the series is set in.

PA is such an epic state for amusement parks and coasters! If I could only ride the coasters in one state, and no others, the rest of my life, I'm really torn between OH, and PA!

I look forward to hearing about your experience at CW, Zach! Hopefully, it was better than GAdv, and boosted your morale, instead of lowering it! I noticed that you didn't mention Behemoth in your post above, which is my favorite coaster at the park currently (since I haven't ridden Leviathan and Yukon Striker yet.) Were you not a big fan?

I know I liked Behemoth, but I can't remember too much about it aside from someone's phone flying out of their hand and into the lake. (Yesss!!!!) Yukon Striker and Leviathan stole the show, though. We also liked Mine Buster a lot. Mine Buster... Weird, right?

I haven't been on a B&M hyper that I didn't like, although Apollo's Chariot never leaves me satisfied. Behemoth had a noticeable rattle. It didn't bother me, but Emily didn't like it because of that. We tried the outer seats and inner seats of the last car. It wasn't smooth enough, so she still wasn't having it. From what I had heard I thought Behemoth would be the better hyper out of the two parks, but our appreciation for Nitro was completely unexpected.

How have wait times been on Yukon Striker? I assumed I would grab some ERT but didn't realize that CW doesn't do that during the weekdays. I'll be up there next week.

If you arrive at the park at opening, the wait times are quite minimal. After opening, wait times can be anywhere from 10 minutes to well over an hour depending on how busy the park is. Weather has a significant role when it comes to how busy the park may be. So, if you're worried about it being extremely busy, go on a day when the weather forecast is predicting a chance of showers. As others have mentioned, there is a single rider line which goes by quite quickly as long as groups don't line up in it and expect to ride together (despite the sign stating groups will be split up). Regardless of how long you wait to ride Yukon Striker, the wait will be worth it! I hope you have a great time next week!

How have wait times been on Yukon Striker? I assumed I would grab some ERT but didn't realize that CW doesn't do that during the weekdays. I'll be up there next week.

The single ride is the fastest if you don't have fast lane plus. The most I have waited in the single rider line was around 30 minutes on a busy weekday.