TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What are your TOP TEN COASTERS

^It's his list not yours There are many people that only base their opinions on the amount of air you get from a coaster. This sounds like you. I like high speed turns and overbanks as much as I do airtime hills and maybe he does as well. It's kinda pointless to argue with someone elses list.

No no no, I'm not arguing. I'm actually interested in why he didn't like Superman (SFNE) and El Toro enough to be in the top 3-5. I am especially interested in his comparison of the two Superman coasters. Most people (me included) find the SFDL and SFA versions BORING, where as the SFNE one is just about as close to the perfect coaster as it gets (ridiculous ejector air, LOTS of air hills, an awesome banked turn around, a fast flat section, 2 forceful helices, 2 tunnels, and oh, did I mention all the insane air-time?).

I see where you're coming from...I also view Bizarro as pretty much the "perfect" coaster, in that it has pretty much everything for everyone. Great drop, speed, airtime, underground dives, a good spot of on-the-ground speed, and large helices with great laterals.

But one thing I don't understand from his list is how he ranks Goliath at Walibi World so high and SROS/Bizarro and El Toro so low...when Goliath at WW is pretty much the same type of experience, or appears to be very similar.

But, as was said, to each his own.

Just curious, am I the only one who has a hard time putting my favorite steel coasters in some kind of order? Bizarro at SFNE is a clear cut #1 for me, but after that I have a hard time picking the order, even my top 5 or 10. ...Now my wooden top 10 is not a problem.

^I actually find Ride of Steel to be a very good ride. While I don't have it ahead of Bizarro or El Toro, it's still cemented in my top 5.

I definitely have that problem with some coasters. For me, Bizarro, El Toro, Millennium Force, and SROS at SFA cement a VERY solid top-of-the-list for me. But, as far as the other ones go, if you were to randomly ask me some days if I'd rather ride Maverick or Talon RIGHT NOW, I'd probably have trouble deciding.

And I also agree for the non-SFNE "rides of steel". They're two excellent coasters that pack just as much of a big Intamin punch as the others. The only "disappointment" of RoS at Darien Lake was that the trim was on pretty hard when I rode it. SROS at SFA, on the other hand, wowed me just as much as the others.

1- Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce

2- Phoenix, Knoebels

3- Lightning Racer, Hersheypark

4- Goliath, SF Magic Mountain

5- Terminator Salvation, SF Magic Mountain

6- Talon, Dorney Park

7- Apollo’s Chariot, Busch Gardens Europe

8- Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Europe

9- Kingda Ka, SF Great Adventure

10- Xcelerator, Knott's Berry Farm

Woop.

Oh, and El Toro and SFNE's Superman weren't that great.

How in balls did you rank the SFDL Superman: Ride of Steel above the REAL one at SFNE? I don't comprehend that... at all. 20th, really? And El Toro 15th? I agree with Boulder Dash as #1, but Goliath, Behemoth, Ultimate, Apollo's, Kahn, X2, Terminator, etc all before El Toro and Superman? Are you not a fan of ejector air hyper coasters?

I have a couple of "problems" with Superman and Toro. It's not that I don't like ejector coasters (Boulder Dash, Goliath, Phoenix...), I just don't think Intamin ejector is THAT great (... apart from Goliath ). I found Superman to have very "sharp" airtime, in that it throws you against the restraint, and then you're straight back down again, which I don't particularly enjoy. Especially since the (old) restraints really dug into my thighs and shins, causing quite a lot of discomfort. Toro I preferred, but, felt other than three hills and the drop it does... nothing. OK, those three hills and the drop are stunning, but, when that's the entire ride... I'd rather have something with some length and variation to it!

As for preferring Ride of Steel, I just found it a much more enjoyable coaster. The airtime is nicer IMO, with you more floating than just being thrown out your seat. I really like its location too, and the helixes and speed are awesome too! Oh, and I preferred the drop on that one. SFNE's almost felt... sluggish to me. When I rode it last year I just kept saying "this REALLY needs a refurb or something, it's crawling!". Now, I'd love to go and try it again it has had that!

And, as for Goliath, again, it has the type of airtime I personally prefer. It's strong, yes, but a much "smoother" strength than on Superman, which, as I say, I found to be very "sharp". I think the word I used to describe the hills on Superman when we were there was "triangular", and I think that sums up how I feel still. Plus, Goliath has much better helixes, stengel dive etc. I found Superman's overbank to be especially bleh!

Stuff like Apollo's, Behemoth and Nitro are above both of them because I personally think B&M floater airtime is a much, much better type of airtime than Intamin ejector, Ultimate and X2 are both really, really brutal but amazing coasters, again, which suit my own personal tastes more than the Intamins, Khan is just pure force and a perfect B&M and then Terminator was just a much more varied, fun and exciting ride to me!

I'll be riding EGF in two weeks so I'll let you know what I think of that one too

1. Apollo's Chariot - Busch Garden Williamsburg

2. X - Six Flags Magic Mountain

3. Incredible Hulk - Islands of Adventure

4. Griffon - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

5. Goliath - Six Flags Magic Mountain

6. Dueling Dragons: Fire - Islands of Adventure

7. Xcelerator - Knott's Berry Farm

8. Evel Knievel - Six Flags St. Louis

9. Kraken - Seaworld Orlando

10. Alpengeist - Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I've never had the opportunity to ride too many good woodies unfortunately. This list will be much different though this time next year I'm sure, as I'll be going to Mt Olympus, Kings Island, and Cedar Point for the first time next summer.

Toro I preferred, but, felt other than three hills and the drop it does... nothing. OK, those three hills and the drop are stunning, but, when that's the entire ride... I'd rather have something with some length and variation to it!

The over-bank turn around the with the supports close to the train and the insane twister finale give some nice variety imo.

But if you prefer the smoother ride and floater air of the B&M coasters then that's cool. I like Nitro a lot, I love going over the 3rd hill and hammerhead because its just so smooth and you can look around a bit and just feel like you're soaring out there, but all in all I definitely prefer the insanity and ejector air that El Toro and those other Intamin coasters can provide.

Here's mine.

1. Scooby-Doo Spooky Coaster - Warner Bros. Movie World

2. Voyage - Holiday World

2. Maverick - Cedar Point

3. Shockwave - Six Flags Over Texas

3. Corball Express - IB

4. Diamondback - Kings Island

4. Goliath - Six Flags Over Georgia

5. Kentucky Rumbler - Beech Bend

5. Mindbender - SFOG

6. Space Mountain - Disneyland

6. California Screamin' - Disney's California Adventure

7. Mr. Freeze - Six Flags Over Texas

7. Millennium Force - Cedar Point

8. Afterburn - Carowinds

8. Titan - SFOG

9. Superman Krypton Coaster - Six Flags Fiesta Texas

9. Steel Hawg - IB

10. Raven - HW

10. Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point

It's messed up, I know! LOL

^ I'm very interested in knowing more about Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster. Was it the theme or the actual ride that you liked?

Theme, ride length, surprises, ride, trains, music, light show, Scooby, lift, pre lift, MORE surprises, location, park, vacation feel. LOL.

1. Bizzaro- Six Flags New England

2. Montu- Busch Gardens Africa

3. Sheikra- Busch Gardens Africa

4. Rock'n Roller Coaster- Disney Hollywood Studios

5. Kumba- Busch Gardens Africa

6. Batman The Dark Knight- Six Flags New England

7. Expedition Everest- Animal Kingdom

8. Space Mountain- Magic Kingdom

9. Thunderbolt- Six Flags New England

10. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Bizzaro is so bad ass! The flames, the steam, the first tunnel! It's the best the worlds ever seen!!!

My new list

1. Shivering Timbers - Michigan's Adventure

2. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure

3. Nitro - Six Flags Great Adventure

4. Hellcat - Timber Falls

5. Cyclone - Lakeside

6. Viper - Six Flags Great America

7. Kingda Ka - Six Flags Great Adventure

8. Steel Hawg - Indiana Beach

9. Cornball Express/Raging Bull (tie) - Six Flags Great America/Indiana Beach

10. Evel Knievel - Six Flags St. Louis

Wow, seven wooden coasters in my top 10/11.

How in balls did you rank the SFDL Superman: Ride of Steel above the REAL one at SFNE? I don't comprehend that... at all. 20th, really? And El Toro 15th? I agree with Boulder Dash as #1, but Goliath, Behemoth, Ultimate, Apollo's, Kahn, X2, Terminator, etc all before El Toro and Superman? Are you not a fan of ejector air hyper coasters?

I have a couple of "problems" with Superman and Toro. It's not that I don't like ejector coasters (Boulder Dash, Goliath, Phoenix...), I just don't think Intamin ejector is THAT great (... apart from Goliath ). I found Superman to have very "sharp" airtime, in that it throws you against the restraint, and then you're straight back down again, which I don't particularly enjoy. Especially since the (old) restraints really dug into my thighs and shins, causing quite a lot of discomfort. Toro I preferred, but, felt other than three hills and the drop it does... nothing. OK, those three hills and the drop are stunning, but, when that's the entire ride... I'd rather have something with some length and variation to it!

As for preferring Ride of Steel, I just found it a much more enjoyable coaster. The airtime is nicer IMO, with you more floating than just being thrown out your seat. I really like its location too, and the helixes and speed are awesome too! Oh, and I preferred the drop on that one. SFNE's almost felt... sluggish to me. When I rode it last year I just kept saying "this REALLY needs a refurb or something, it's crawling!". Now, I'd love to go and try it again it has had that!

And, as for Goliath, again, it has the type of airtime I personally prefer. It's strong, yes, but a much "smoother" strength than on Superman, which, as I say, I found to be very "sharp". I think the word I used to describe the hills on Superman when we were there was "triangular", and I think that sums up how I feel still. Plus, Goliath has much better helixes, stengel dive etc. I found Superman's overbank to be especially bleh!

Stuff like Apollo's, Behemoth and Nitro are above both of them because I personally think B&M floater airtime is a much, much better type of airtime than Intamin ejector, Ultimate and X2 are both really, really brutal but amazing coasters, again, which suit my own personal tastes more than the Intamins, Khan is just pure force and a perfect B&M and then Terminator was just a much more varied, fun and exciting ride to me!

I'll be riding EGF in two weeks so I'll let you know what I think of that one too

Yeah, I can see that. Superman (SFNE) definitely needed the rehab, so it's totally possible you rode it while it was "cold". As for my preferences, I'm kind of the opposite in that I'm not a big fan of "floater" airtime (why I'm not a big B&M fan), I LOVE being ejected (and I mean that literally). The more forcefull (sharp) the airtime, the better. I'm an adrenaline junky, Goliath (SFMM) was a favorite of mine for a long time because of the "Helix From Hell". Push me to the verge of passing out and I'm a happy guy!

As for the DL/SFA versions, I must have just ridden those during an awesome trip (or when they were cold) because they just felt sluggish to me. The drops were good (still I don't think anywhere near SFNE SROS) but the rest was just "Meh". The straight aways at 70MPH were boring (but hey, that's when I'm used to TTD, MF, etc), I thought the 2 big hills delivered weak (floaty) airtime and the helices weren't very aggressive (again, I'm used to those "black out" force helices). I also didn't much care for the layout.

I think it's funny that we have such different tastes, yet we totally agree that Boulder Dash is one kick ass coaster.

My new top 10 & it might change after KI at the end of the month:

Steel:

1. Millennium Force

2. Behemoth

3. Alpengeist

4. Manta

5. X2

6. Nitro

7. California Screamin'

8. Griffon

9. Goliath (SFMM)

10. Kindga Ka

Woodies:

1. Boulder Dash (#1 overall)

2. Phoenix

3. Terminator Salvation

4. El Toro

5. Comet (Hershey)

6. Jack Rabbit (Kennywood)

7. Ravine Flyer II

8. Lightning Racers Lightning

9. Cyclone (Astroland)

10. Silver Comet

Top 10 wood

1. Balder @ Liseberg

2. El Toro @ SFGADV

3. American Eagle @ SFGAM

4. Lightning Racers @ Hershey

5. Boss @ SFSTL

6. Beast @ KI

7. Thunderbolt @ SFNE

8. Blue Streak @ Cedar Point

9. Rebell Yell @ KD

10. Screamin' Eagle @ SFSTL

Note I am going to Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure soon, so this list might change.

Top 10 Overall:

1) Boulder Dash

2) El Toro

3) Storm Runner

4) Bizarro/S:RoS

5) Nitro

6) Phantom's Revenge

7) Phoenix

8) X2

9) Montu

10) Voyage

Top 10 Steel:

1) Storm Runner

2) Bizarro/S:RoS

3) Nitro

4) Phantom's Revenge

5) X2

6) Montu

7) Maverick

8) Dueling Dragons

9) Kumba

10) Talon

Top 10 Wood:

1) Boulder Dash

2) El Toro

3) Phoenix

4) Voyage

5) Twister (Knoebels)

6) Ghostrider (Last time I rode it was back when it used to be awesome so until I ride it how it is now (whatever that may be) its still high in my book)

7) Evel Kinevel

8) Legend

9) Raven

10) Ozark Wildcat

I have a new updated list.

1. El Toro- Six Flags Great Adventure

2. Millennium Force- Cedar Point

3. Storm Runner- Hersheypark

4. Diamondback- Kings Island

5. Griffon- Busch Gardens Europe

6. Nitro- Six Flags Great Adventure

7. Apollo's Chariot- Busch Gardens Europe

8. Top Thrill Dragster- Cedar Point

9. Kingda Ka- Six Flags Great Adventure

10. Maverick- Cedar Point

The 3rd hill on SROS @ SFA is easily one of the best moments of airtime I've experienced personally. That alone makes it a worthwhile ride for me.

Really? I've only got a couple of laps on that one (many more on SFDL) and they just seemed rather weak to me. I got off thinking "Wow, this sucks compared to (my) SFNE SROS.

1) X2

2) California Screamin'

3) Xcelerator

4) Terminator Salvation: The Ride

5) Tatsu

6) Medusa (west)

7) Goliath (SFMM)

8) Viper (SFMM)

9) V2: Vertical Velocity

10) Silver Bullet

Is silver bullet really better than Riddler in your opinion? I LOVE Riddler, and love how awesome and intense it is to just stand up through the massive intense inversions, and its so fast.

MY LIST

1. Tatsu/Apollos Chariot-Some awesome B&M Godliness

2. Accelerator-This used to be like my number 7, but after some crazy backseat filled ejector airtime filled rides it moved its way into #2

3. Riddler-See above

4. California Screamin-A coaster lovers launched coaster, not only is there a launch, but it has a great drop and some pretty good airtime, my favorite disney coaster(not including theming)

4.X2- A pretty much one trick pony that is a little rough, also, a little too disorienting for my taste.

5. The Mummy(Yes, before hulk and dragons) The theming was awesome(like dragons) but I did not realize how many awesome airtime pops or special effects this beast had

6. Batman the Ride(SFMM) So fast and so intense

7. Dueling Dragons Fire-would have rated above batman, but the dueling timer was broken

8. Hulk-The zero g roll was awesome

9. Everest- Not necessarily deservant of my top 10 besides the fact tthat this ride is fun for all, my friends sister hates big drops, but loves Everest. And the best themed coaster.

10. Matterhorn Bobsleds- The most insane coaster ever and my favorite ride at Disneyland. The layout is almost impossible to memorize, the coaster has sudden pure luck/random racing and dueling moments. The tomorrowland side has 2 doom drops, not necessarily giving airtime, but giving me a strange feeling.

^^Silver Bullet was my first multi inversion coaster so it holds a special place in my heart, yes it's forceless, but the ride is just fun, it doesnt get me dizzy or have too much force, it's not too short, it's just hard to have a bad time on it.

That reason was also why California Screamin is my number 2 as it was my first looping coaster, although I still love the thing to death, front row on that ride is too cool.

Steel

1. Millennium Force

2. Maverick

3. Storm Runner

4. Magnum XL-200

5. Top Thrill Dragster

6. Montu

7. Apollo's Chariot

8. Diamondback

9. Phantom's Revenge

10. Alpengeist

Wood