TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

You just need to learn the trick to riding it. I use to HATE Magnum. . . But now that I have learned how to ride it. . . I LOVE it!

If you have to learn how to ride a coaster, I'm pretty sure it's not a good coaster.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most overrated? Millennium Force, one of the best drops in the world following by a layout that just kinda rolls around until it hits the brakes.

That's me rolling around at your notion that one of the fastest and most forceful coasters on the planet "just rolls around until it hits the brakes!" Seriously, all of you enthusiast MF-bashers give me great stories to tell normal, GP people when I go to Cedar Point with them, because they think you all are certifiably nuts when it comes to MF!

You just need to learn the trick to riding it. I use to HATE Magnum. . . But now that I have learned how to ride it. . . I LOVE it!

If you have to learn how to ride a coaster, I'm pretty sure it's not a good coaster.

So very true! (Though I would still call MF a "good" coaster - but that's about where I'd leave it at this point...)

Most overrated? Millennium Force, one of the best drops in the world following by a layout that just kinda rolls around until it hits the brakes.

That's me rolling around at your notion that one of the fastest and most forceful coasters on the planet "just rolls around until it hits the brakes!" Seriously, all of you enthusiast MF-bashers give me great stories to tell normal, GP people when I go to Cedar Point with them, because they think you all are certifiably nuts when it comes to MF!

It's still a great ride, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's the #1 ride in the world, thus a bit overrated. Seriously after the first drop and turn around there's not much that's memorable about that ride. I still like it, and would take it over take it over 90% of other coasters in the world but that doesn't' mean it's not a tad bit overrated.

Maverick > MF

It's still a great ride, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's the #1 ride in the world, thus a bit overrated. Seriously after the first drop and turn around there's not much that's memorable about that ride. I still like it, and would take it over take it over 90% of other coasters in the world but that doesn't' mean it's not a tad bit overrated.

Maverick > MF

It's not my #1 coaster in the world anymore either, precisely because Fury does everything MF does well, and then does a lot more in addition (to your point!) Still, the rush of MF, to me, and most who ride it with me, is nearly unparalleled!

I actually consider Maverick and MF tied, for all intents and purposes. They are both such different coasters, and provide absolutely amazing rides with two totally different experiences! Some days I think I like MF more, other days I think I prefer Maverick... So even though I rank MF as 1a (at CP) to Maverick's 1b, I have no problem with anybody saying Maverick > MF. Maverick is phenomenal!

• 1 month later...

Here are some that come to mind for me:

Banshee - it's forceful but I found it slow paced and a little bit of a headache machine. Not a bad ride by any means but definitely the weakest of the "big three" at KI.

The Raven - the layout is great but it's easily one of the roughest coasters I've been on.

Thunderhead - ditto Raven except less rough and more twisty stuff.

Tennessee Tornado - how is this considered the best Arrow looper? I had more headbanging in the twenty seconds of actual layout on this ride than any other coaster's minute+

Here are some that come to mind for me:

Banshee - it's forceful but I found it slow paced and a little bit of a headache machine. Not a bad ride by any means but definitely the weakest of the "big three" at KI.

The Raven - the layout is great but it's easily one of the roughest coasters I've been on.

Thunderhead - ditto Raven except less rough and more twisty stuff.

Tennessee Tornado - how is this considered the best Arrow looper? I had more headbanging in the twenty seconds of actual layout on this ride than any other coaster's minute+

I'm so glad to see someone else mention The Raven. It's not a bad ride, but out of the 3 woodies at HW it's easily the weakest, and going into HW my first time, it was the one I heard the most praise about.

If they put the Vekoma trains on it it would -feel- a lot better, but it's certainly the most well-engineered Arrow I've ridden.

Talon at Dorney Park- Pretty boring and forgettable. I much prefer Hydra.

Racer at Kings Island- A classic, but extremely rough with no airtime.

Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion- Great, but doesn't live up to the hype.

Dominator at Kings Dominion- A real head banger.

Although I've never ridden it, Raven at Holiday World looks way too short to be great. I guess you have to ride it to appreciate it?

^Raven has an amazing layout and really good airtime, but it was way too rough to appreciate. It's very similar to The Boss @ SFStL.

If they put the Vekoma trains on it it would -feel- a lot better, but it's certainly the most well-engineered Arrow I've ridden.

It definitely had alot going for it. Very fast paced and intense. If the restraints were softer or if they weren't so tight maybe it would be one of my favorites, but instead it landed barely above rock bottom. No other coaster has hurt my neck but the jerk midway through the loop really gave it a nice chop.

Although I've never ridden it, Raven at Holiday World looks way too short to be great. I guess you have to ride it to appreciate it?

You shouldn't judge a ride and say it's overrated if you haven't ridden it. But to answer your questions, yes, especially at night. The Raven really comes alive at night.

I'd choose Blue Fire at Europapark. Even though this is not a bad coaster and maybe even in my Top 10 it does not live up to its hype. A pretty weak LSM launch, pretty forceless aswell and not the theming you would expect from Europapark.It's not even my favourite coaster in that park. But the hangtime is crazy!

Edited by flaffstar

I'd choose Blue Fire at Europapark. Even though this is not a bad coaster and even in my Top 10 it does not live up to its hype. A pretty weak LSM launch, pretty forceless aswell and not the theming you would expect from Europapark.It's not even my favourite coaster in that park. But the hangtime is crazy!

I have to agree with you, I found Blue Fire pretty forceless too and I don't understand why people are so amazed for this ride.

imho the unique interesting part of the ride is that final in-line roll which provide a crazy ejector air time.. But all the rest of the experience is like.. meh, too much boring and soft. And the theming is disappointing considering Europa park's standards

Magnum. That thing really beat me up. I loved the airtime on the bunny hops, but the valleys between them sucked. The first half of the ride was fun, it's just the return trip is awful.

I will say that coasterbill saved my life with the seatbelt trick, though.

Magnum. That thing really beat me up. I loved the airtime on the bunny hops, but the valleys between them sucked. The first half of the ride was fun, it's just the return trip is awful.

What trick? Tell me, I'm going soon and I NEED this!

I think it's pulling the seatbelt as tight as possible.

I also think Tennessee Tornado is overrated, but for different reasons than those listed above. It is by far the smoothest Arrow coaster I've ridden, but it was not as intense as most make it out to be. It was about as forceful/intense as most other Arrow loopers (decent forces but nothing too strong). Still one of the better coasters at Dollywood though.

Yup. Doing that stops you from slamming into the lap bar and makes for a very enjoyable ride. I can't take credit for it. "smartestcoasterkidever!" turned us on to this awesome trick.

Yup. Doing that stops you from slamming into the lap bar and makes for a very enjoyable ride. I can't take credit for it. "smartestcoasterkidever!" turned us on to this awesome trick.

Another thing if you're afraid of thigh pain and roughness- the second row of the first car rides about like a B&M only with more abrupt airtime. I think other cars' second rows are like this too but can't confirm as I only rode in the front car.

The seatbelts in the very front row suck and wouldn't get very tight at all.

• 1 month later...