TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 114: Brand-new entrance fountain unveiled!

9 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Does it make you think? No. Who cares if it’s fun. If it’s in EPCOT, it has to inspire you and make you think. It’s based on superhero “movies”,  so how will the ride make you think and inspire you?

It's going to make me think "wow how did they do that" and probably think about how cool of an experience it was. Will probably also make me think "who seriously thinks that Ellen's universe of Energy is better than this?"

Then it's going to inspire me to get in line again, and then to renew my annual pass so I can come back many many times to ride an incredible new attraction in my favorite Disney park. That's how it'll make me think and inspire me. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EPCOT is about one thing: making money for Disney. Does Guardians make money? *Glances at box office returns* Why, yes. Yes it does. Case closed.

Just because you don’t think it is good, it doesn’t mean the rest of the visiting majority agrees with your opinion. But I guess that’s the beauty of numbers... Everyone is entitled to their own opini

I think “terrible” is a matter of perspective. Also understand that the person you’re debating this with has a long-proven admiration of Epcot in its classic form... Just look up Epcot’s 25th annivers

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Does it make you think? No. Who cares if it’s fun. If it’s in EPCOT, it has to inspire you and make you think. It’s based on superhero “movies”,  so how will the ride make you think and inspire you?

Does Frozen Ever After make you think? Gran Fiesta Tour? Ratatouille? Edutainment has always been a part of Epcot’s DNA, but since about 1998, experiences that exist purely for the sake of fun or thrill have too. It may be hard to swallow that the 1982 approach to EPCOT Center isn’t around anymore, but these parks aren’t museums... And superheroes inspire (children in particular) in ways that science and culture just don’t today.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, jedimaster1227 said:

Does Frozen Ever After make you think? Gran Fiesta Tour? Ratatouille? Edutainment has always been a part of Epcot’s DNA, but since about 1998, experiences that exist purely for the sake of fun or thrill have too. It may be hard to swallow that the 1982 approach to EPCOT Center isn’t around anymore, but these parks aren’t museums... And superheroes inspire (children in particular) in ways that science and culture just don’t today.

All those things you listed are also terrible.

So sad that people’s standards have lowered this low so that Disney can continue to build such terrible rides. Disney needs to build more of this. And guess what, no superheroes in sight. 

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

All those things you listed are also terrible.

So sad that people’s standards have lowered this low so that Disney can continue to build such terrible rides. Disney needs to build more of this. And guess what, no superheroes in sight. 

I think “terrible” is a matter of perspective. Also understand that the person you’re debating this with has a long-proven admiration of Epcot in its classic form... Just look up Epcot’s 25th anniversary for my credentials. ;)

Here’s the thing... Classic attractions like Horizons and the original Journey into Imagination were amazing. But by the end of their lifespans they struggled to attract riders. The same is true with both Universe of Energy versions, World of Motion, El Rio del Tiempo and The Seacabs in The Living Seas. These attractions need consistent ridership to justify operation. There are no theme parks (past or present) that have been able to justify operating major attractions (at major expense) without ridership value to offset the cost. Attractions that fall into this rut are either retired, rethemed or removed outright. It isn’t a question of quality—it is a question of appeal. Timeless attractions maintain their appeal—the majority of the attractions in Fantasyland, Adventureland and Frontierland at Disneyland Park and the Magic Kingdom have not been replaced, only plussed because of that enduring appeal.

It is easy to gripe or idealize what audiences should want to experience or consume but the proof is always in the numbers. When the appeal has worn off, choices have to be made. Fans may not always like that expansion space and existing attractions are turned over for IP-based projects, but that is what gets guests through the turnstiles these days. The old edutainment approach on its own stopped succeeding in the 90’s... It had to be supplemented with IP and thrill to get guests to come to the park. The things you like about current Epcot couldn’t exist if the popular attractions you call “terrible” hadn’t been added to the park when they were. It was those “terrible” attractions that evidenced a need for more characters, more thrill and more for families... Without those, that park would continue to struggle until more drastic decisions might have needed to be made.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, michaellynn4 said:

EPCOT is about one thing: making money for Disney.

Does Guardians make money?

*Glances at box office returns*

Why, yes. Yes it does.

Case closed.

Just because it makes money doesn't mean it's good.

4 minutes ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Just because it makes money doesn't mean it's good.

Just because you don’t think it is good, it doesn’t mean the rest of the visiting majority agrees with your opinion. But I guess that’s the beauty of numbers... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but the numbers will speak for the masses, vocal or not as they may be.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, KIEnthusiast said:

Does Nemo make you think?  Soarin'? Frozen?

Your argument has been invalid for well over a decade.

EDIT - After seeing your other responses I honestly don't know if you truly believe what you're saying and are therefore silly beyond reality, or you're just trolling.

• Like 2