TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

If you could modify one part of any ride...

I'd change the shape of the lap part of the restraint on Skyrush so I could marathon on it even more without having to quit because my legs couldn't take it after 28 consecutive rides - then it would be an utterly perfect 10 in my book.

I'd take the awful OTSRs off of Revolution so it could run the way it did when it was built.

I'd also take the equally awful OTSRs off of Maverick so I could actually enjoy riding it and not have to put all of my thought and energy into defending myself vigorously while riding. I would replace them with I-305 style restraints.

Also agree with whoever said they'd remove the trim on that hill on Raging Bull - when I first rode it that really ruined that part of the ride and I have never been on a B&M with such a stupidly placed trim.

I'd also modify the restraints on El Toro - I know these don't rate very high among coaster fans' pet peeves, but they do limit my marathoning on the ride - so far I've never been able to go more than about 10 rides in a row because of the way the restraints press against my stomach. All the antacids in the world can't overcome El Toro's restraints, so those I'd swap for something that would sit lower on a rider's body, like on the lap rather than jammed into their gut.

I'd also change Kingda Ka's restraints to some sort of lap bar type - either like the ones on TTD or perhaps a better version of those on Skyrush.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd change the shape of the lap part of the restraint on Skyrush so I could marathon on it even more without having to quit because my legs couldn't take it after 28 consecutive rides - then it would be an utterly perfect 10 in my book.

I'd also modify the restraints on El Toro - I know these don't rate very high among coaster fans' pet peeves, but they do limit my marathoning on the ride - so far I've never been able to go more than about 10 rides in a row because of the way the restraints press against my stomach. All the antacids in the world can't overcome El Toro's restraints, so those I'd swap for something that would sit lower on a rider's body, like on the lap rather than jammed into their gut.

What exactly do you want? Either the restraint sits at your waist or it sits on your thighs. Those are your options. On rides with airtime as strong as these two, the restraints will never feel 100% comfortable. Personally I'd take El Toro's any day.

^Yeah I was saying that it would be better to change the shape only, and not the mechanism. However, on Skyrush that would be tricky because, as they are lowered instead of being attached to the floor of the ride I think they couldn't have the same shape as B&M's do given that those ones are designed for restraints that are fixed to the floor rather than working more like OTSR (which are connected to the top of the seat) like the ones on skyrush and more recent intamins that use lap bars.

I think El Toro's restraints are perfect. I wouldn't change a single thing about them and I wish more coasters would be built with exactly the same type of restraint. This might be the first time I've seen anyone complain about them.

I find those restraints and the trains on Millennium Force (and the original SROS restraints before they modified them a million times) to be perfect.

^Me too and I don't really know why they chose to use different ones on rides like the new 10 inversion ones. I do understand why they did so on coasters like Skyrush, given that there is no floor to attach them to, but apart from that specific situation I think they should have stuck with the old ones.

I'd also take the equally awful OTSRs off of Maverick so I could actually enjoy riding it and not have to put all of my thought and energy into defending myself vigorously while riding. I would replace them with I-305 style restraints.

You really think that Maverick's are bad? I can't wait to see your reaction upon riding Goudurix for the first time.

You really think that Maverick's are bad? I can't wait to see your reaction upon riding Goudurix for the first time.

I can see the difference. Maverick would be perfect with a development on the restraints but Goudurix would not beat Maverick unless RMC start to do make-over on steel coasters.

I would give this ride lap bars, like the ones on Dare Devil Dive.

Both Lynet and Anubis are so awesome coasters, and can really handle their OTSR, but this ride was just really painful and my neck got really beat up by the OTSR. It's very strange, because no ride has ever beaten me before, not even an SLC, sure some rides have been rough, but never painful.

It's such a shame, because the layout and forces of the ride is totally awesome, and there is so much potential, if only they give it lapbars.

Most of the vekoma rides. They are very good rides. However, the restraints make the rides uncomfortable. Some vekomas have some very good forces. Carolina Cobra at Carowinds is only around 45 mph, but it feels faster than that because of the forces. The G-Force is 5.2, stronger than that of Intimdator (4.3) and Afterburn (4.8). Carolina Cyclone (by arrow) is around the same speed, but the g-force is only 3.5, and that makes it feel slow. I feel that most of the hate from vekoma rides is because of the restraints. It's good that vekoma is now trying to improve.

^It comes from the roughness. Even if you have good restraints on a rough ride it will never be perfect and when you have a smooth ride (some Vekomas are indeed smooth) the restraints which could feel horrible on a rougher one are ok. For instance, the only GIB I've been one (stunt fall in Madrid) had normal restraints but because it was smooth the ride was actually pretty good. Stinger at Dorney also packed a nice punch when I rode it and it was smooth (even hough the OTSR were similar to the ones on some SLCs).

• 5 months later...

I would remove the mid-course trim brakes on Wild Thing at VF. If those trims were removed, the second half of the ride could have some amazing airtime, but with those trims, it's just mildly fun at best.

image.jpg.c0910e428858dd810045e805f3a83464.jpg

Those evil contraptions...