TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Wow, that's a lot of progress in just a few days!

I'm wondering if the stuff from the surveys is supposed to be in addition to, rather than a rebuild of GG. The foam fortress needs some refurb, but it is still incredibly popular for the kids. I'd love to see them just tuck the new rides and stuff back into this area. That way it's doesn't impact the general park ambiance of lake silver anymore either, not that GG hasn't kind of ruined that already.

Anyone have a pic of the new game near TGS?

Cool fact I learned about Powder Keg: The back spike that never gets used isn't just there for decoration (which makes sense because that would be an expensive piece of decor). It's there in case the train doesn't clear the first hill from the launch and it rolls backwards. Makes sense, I just never realized that.

Never heard this before! Actually, on first read I thought you were making a sarcastic joke, but when I look closer I can see there's "real" track before the broken part. Just makes the fact they themed it all the more awesome.

Cool fact I learned about Powder Keg: The back spike that never gets used isn't just there for decoration (which makes sense because that would be an expensive piece of decor). It's there in case the train doesn't clear the first hill from the launch and it rolls backwards. Makes sense, I just never realized that.

Never heard this before! Actually, on first read I thought you were making a sarcastic joke, but when I look closer I can see there's "real" track before the broken part. Just makes the fact they themed it all the more awesome.

You will also notice there is a set of magnetic brakes before that section of track to prevent it from going too high up.

Edited by TNT

I didn't know that until I went but I thought it was cool.

The new seatbelts seem to be slowing down loading. You have to buckle them and then wait for the attendants to push the restraints down. Doesn't affect the ride experience at all though. Some construction is going on behind Geyser Gulch. Wonder what is going on... [attachment=0]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395517081.672923.jpg[/attachment]

Wait they don't let you pull down the restraint. Do they do it like in MF where you have to wait for all the seatbelts to be fastened then they slowly go to each seat. Or do they go around while people do their seatbelts and just get them down as quick as possible.

The restraints on Outlaw Run were already pretty tough to pull down and push back up, so you usually need help from the ride attendant since they have a better angle. I haven't been this year, so I don't know whether they check the buckle first and then do a second check for the restraint. On a side note, I've never been able to pull down my own restraint on Powder Keg either - but those restraints are fairly different and far more comfortable.

The restraints on Outlaw Run were already pretty tough to pull down and push back up, so you usually need help from the ride attendant since they have a better angle. I haven't been this year, so I don't know whether they check the buckle first and then do a second check for the restraint. On a side note, I've never been able to pull down my own restraint on Powder Keg either - but those restraints are fairly different and far more comfortable.

They announce to everyone to buckle your seatbelt and leave the restraint up once you sit down. They walk around and make sure the belts are secured, and then they tell everyone to lower their restraints. Once they check the restraints, they dispatch the train. They have been stacking trains due to the fact that people keep pulling the restraints down before the seatbelts are checked.

They announce to everyone to buckle your seatbelt and leave the restraint up once you sit down. They walk around and make sure the belts are secured, and then they tell everyone to lower their restraints. Once they check the restraints, they dispatch the train. They have been stacking trains due to the fact that people keep pulling the restraints down before the seatbelts are checked.

Dear god that's sounds annoying. But I don't thnk the longer dispatch times bother me that much because outlaw run dispatched really fast unless there were a crying girl or someone who couldn't fit.

Pretty much what Woodie Warrior said. I went this past Thursday and Friday and the dispatch times were some of the longest I've ever seen for a ride with 2 trains. They tell you to sit down upon boarding, buckle your seatbelt, and don't pull the lap restraint down yet. They send the ride attendants to check every seatbelt to make sure they're fastened tightly. Then they send the ride attendants the other direction to help pull down lap bars and make sure they're secure.

I mean, Powder Keg's line which I heard moves the slowest in the park was actually moving faster than Outlaw Run and both were running 2 trains. I certainly wish they moved faster, but I won't bash the park too much since I realize this is for the safety of the guests. They're just being extra cautious but it's better to be safe than move too quickly I guess.

Just spent my first day at Silver Dollar City. First off, what a fantastic park. I love the themeing, terrain, and all the other stuff that makes it unique. Being the end of March, but not in heavy spring break mode, the crowds were quite light in my opinion. Not much of a wait for any ride, particularly at the beginning or end of the day.

I started the day by heading to Outlaw Run. I'm sure it's been said before, but holy cow, what an amazing ride. It is now the best roller coaster I have ridden. I was able to ride it 3 times at the beginning of the day with no more than a 2 train wait.I was able to ride in the front seat, the back seat and the middle. I actually preferred to be closer to the front of the train. The line got a little longer throughout the day, but not much longer than 30 minutes. The lap bar was quite comfortable, but I'm 6'3" and had to lift my heels off the floor of the car to be comfortable with the shin bar, but once I did that, I was quite comfortable in the train. For all the comments on the new loading procedures, I'm not so sure that they will get much faster. They ran 2 trains and they were constantly stacked. The crew was very methodical, but they never had to lift up the bars multiple times, it just seems that they were content with the time it took to check the belts and then push the lap bars down. Also, kudos to the crew, on my 4th and last ride, when I was two trains away from riding, one of the trains had a mechanical issue, while they were waiting for maintenance, one of the crew members got up to the microphone and did a little stand up routine...not the best jokes, but the thought was appreciated.

I got rides on Powder Keg (fun ride, definitely preferred the back to the front), Grand Exposition (I'm sure I ruined a lot of videos of a kids first roller coaster, being the lone guy riding with out a kid), Fire in the Hole (fun ride), ThuNderaTion (I really loved how they use the terrain on this ride, totally unique and quite forceful). I must say that I was a little disappointed by Wildfire. I like the use of terrain, the lay out is great, but I thought that it shook way too much for a B&M, especially in the valleys. The other thing I didn't like about Wildfire is that they were only running one train at the beginning of the day. Eventually they got the second train moving, but I thought it was odd that they didn't have both going at the start of the day.

I also took some time to take the cave tour. That was an hour well spent. The Cathedral Room is completely awe-inspiring.

I spent a little time on some flat rides getting my first experiences on a Disk'O and an S&S Screaming Swing. I really like both rides. The Disk'O isn't particularly thrilling, but it is a bit nerve wracking when you get so close to the top of the track and a fun, enjoyable ride. The Giant Barn Swing was also great. I loved the zero g you get at the top of the arms and still can't get over looking straight down when you are facing the ground...makes for a great ride.

The last ride I got on was the Flooded Mine shooting dark ride...I really liked it as well. Not sure what a good score on that game is, but I got over 100k, not too shabby for my first time...or is it? Like I said, not entirely sure where 100k stacks up.

That's all for now. I'm going to head back tomorrow for another fun filled day. I hope to do a couple things I missed like the Train and Grandfather's Mansion and see a couple shows. If you want to follow, I live tweeted today's trip (with an exceptional amount of selfies) and will likely do the same tomorrow using the hashtag #sdclivetweet.

Thanks for reading,

Jon

Edited by Jodon

Silver Dollar City's World-Fest:

Cornucopia of Cultures

New Shows: Spanish/Flamenco Music & Dance, Gypsy Music

April 5 - May 4

(Branson, MO 3/2014) Fiery Spanish guitar riffs, staccato flamenco heel clicks and rhythmic beats of Argentinian bombo drums announce the beginning of a global cornucopia of cultures and entertainment as World-Fest kicks off at Silver Dollar City on April 5. America's largest international festival, World-Fest brings performers from around the world, presenting the rich entertainment traditions that helped build our nation as the park presents "Celebrate America." New this year, World-Fest features a showcase of Spanish/Flamenco music and dance in the park's largest presentation hall, Spanish-inspired street entertainment, plus a new show of lively gypsy music from the Ukraine, all running April 5 - May 4 at the Branson, Missouri theme park.

The new show "Benise - The Spanish Guitar" features Spanish guitarist Roni Benise with a band of top musicians and dancers, pushing the boundaries of traditional Spanish/Flamenco music. The show includes rapid-fire Spanish flamenco, Brazilian samba and Cuban salsa rhythms and dance starring Benise, who has taken his show around the world, from China to Brazil to television's Dancing with the Stars, also winning an Emmy Award for a television special. Spanish-inspired theatrics fill the Festa de Espana courtyard, with costumed entertainers, living statues portraying iconic figures from Christopher Columbus to Don Quixote, and living puppet "marionetas" all interact with park guests.

Also new is Via Romen, lively gypsy music from the Ukraine. The popular show Amamos Argentina returns, starring the Los Pampas Gauchos who play traditional bombo drums, dance and perform with boleros, plus Argentinian dancers perform the tango. Island Fire presents the rhythms, music and dances from Samoa, Fiji and the South Sea Islands, and features world-champion fire-knife dancers. Additional performers include Ireland's premier harpist Dearbhail Finnegan and English musician Robin Slater, Austrian yodeler Kerry Christensen, plus the melodic pan flute music of Ecuador Manta.

Even the food goes global for World-Fest at Tastes of the World, a pavilion of international specialties. Guests can feast on selections from 20 countries, plus unique combinations from Irish Tacos to Polynesian Calzones.

World-Fest, April 5 - May 4, is open Wednesdays through Sundays (closed Easter Sunday, April 20). Information: 800-831-4FUN(386) or http://www.silverdollarcity.com. World-Fest is presented by Humana.

2021132301_ImageProxy(1).jpg.c5b4aa7f1859d0efa1222ed3198ddcae.jpg

1192205429_ImageProxy(2).jpg.6eab02523ead3cb45a7946467f84f3f6.jpg

319725192_ImageProxy(3).jpg.f0ea2aa0e16369f8bc021e51a0b8384e.jpg

ImageProxy.jpg.45ac6819bf52ef7dcac43ddeb82ff2d5.jpg

^^ I did have some food to eat. In my two days here, I've had two loaves of cinnamon bread, one was room temp, the other was warm and I don't think I have to tell you that the warm bread was significantly more awesome. I also had the breaded pork tenderloin and Calico Potatoes. I liked the sandwich, but the potatoes were a tad underwhelming. The sweet potatoes were undercooked and had way too much bit to them.

I had breakfast yesterday at Mollie Mills and that was fine, nothing great, nothing terrible. At the end of the day yesterday I picked up a mountain chocolate chip cookie which was quite tasty as well.

I also experienced the Tater Twist Dog today. That was bizarre and fantastic. I'll probably get one more thing before leaving the park today, but not sure what.

Those slides are looking nice also can anyone compare the new shin bar on outlaw run to the old one. If you could explain why the are better worse they are great. I honestly didn't have a problem with the last one. I am 5' 6.

I had some downtime on Saturday morning while waiting in the queue for Outlaw Run and decided to time the amount of time it took to dispatch each train. I timed 7 trains. The fastest dispatch was 2:07 and the slowest was 3:24. The average over the 7 trains was 2:38. Not too bad, but considering that the ride itself is only 1:27 long, that is a lot of time stacked. I would be interested in seeing if they can improve the dispatch times by the summer when they get a little more experience with the new procedures.

Also interesting to note, the Powder Keg crew was on it's game on Saturday. They were running all 3 trains and there was very little stacking. The crew worked fast/efficient and made a long line (spilling out onto the walkway) move quickly.

Wow! I never seen powder keg run that fast. Also with outlaw run, I was worried when people were saying it was taking onager to dispatch and trains were stacking. When I went there July, trains still stacked then. And it was averaging more than 2 min dispatch. That time actually surprised me.

^ Outlaw Run was running pretty reasonable dispatch times until July of last year (1-1.5 minutes), when it wasn't down for maintenance. I have always reminded myself that although Outlaw Run is a wooden coaster, the technology used to design and operate the coaster is cutting edge, brand new and has more kinks to work out than the average coaster. There are many varied factors that impact the dispatch times.

Since the accident on the Texas Giant, I noticed that the already careful crew was being much more trepidatious when loading, particularly when checking the harnesses of persons of either very small or very large size. Second, and as previously posted, Outlaw Run received new leg restraints and Intamin-styled safety belts during the off-season, which have been a bit of an issue since the park's re-opening last month, especially since many riders aren't aquatinted with them. Lastly, The crew has mandated that they themselves close each harness, which has added an additional 45 seconds to a minute of dispatch time. I, myself, visited 3 times during the spring break season, and waited no less than 80 minutes to ride once. I did wait 150 minutes with no ride two weeks ago, so I am truly familiar with the extended wait times.

The beauty about visiting SDC is that, on the most part, if everyone is waiting for Outlaw Run and Powder Keg, then the rest of the park is pretty open. IF YOU PLAN TO VISIT SOON, and you're an iPhone user, there is an app that can give you a map, show times and most of the major attraction wait times.

BTW, another poster on this site intimated last season that SDC had begun testing a seat with a 5 point harness for disabled/dismembered guests. I have since ridden several times on both currently operating trains and have witnessed no new harness testing. Can anyone confirm or deny this further?

^That's what I was going to try to describe if no one else did. I saw that on the back of one seat on Kraken; it's most noticeable for the bright red color (I've never seen the harness). I didn't happen to notice one on Wildfire, myself.

I don't remember anything new on WF from my last visit in November, but I'm terrible with remembering details.

Hmm, hope they figure something out to move people through OR quicker soon. It's an amazing ride, but I can't justify waiting much more than an hour for anything. I don't pay that much and drive that far to stand in line all day. Can't wait for the next big coaster addition just to take the spotlight off of OR, though I know it will always be a popular ride.

I've been so busy I didn't notice this: it sounds like there's a different show in the saloon this year: "The Return of Carrie Nation". Sounds like a good one. If you haven't been to a Saloon show yet, I highly suggest it. You really haven't seen SDC till you've been to the Saloon, and SDC's shows are typically far better than your standard theme park entertainment (like everything else at SDC).