TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Due to the nature of OR's pre-drop design, the chain speed should have little discernible effect on the ride experience. If they have indeed slowed it down, that's an improvement in all kinds of ways.It'll help make the ride feel longer for one thing, which will cut down complaints about it being too short. The unique views that you barely got to enjoy before are a plus as well.

.It'll help make the ride feel longer for one thing, which will cut down complaints about it being too short.

Well, I'm not saying I have anything against the lift being slowed down (I haven't even ridden it) but that is just not the way it goes. To me, the lift doesn't count as "ride time". It might have its advantages but that sounds a bit well..... cheating?

I think it might have to do more with the trains stacking and causing timer switches to stop the ride. Maybe not. I just hope that it's mechanical issues are fixed when me and my grandpa go this weekend.
If it helps any we were at SDC Saturday, and Outlaw Run only went down once the entire day, and it was not a very long delay. Like 15-20 minutes tops.

I think it might have to do more with the trains stacking and causing timer switches to stop the ride. Maybe not. I just hope that it's mechanical issues are fixed when me and my grandpa go this weekend.
If it helps any we were at SDC Saturday, and Outlaw Run only went down once the entire day, and it was not a very long delay. Like 15-20 minutes tops.

That's good. I got a bit worried. Did powder keg go down at all. I here it is being pretty sassy

Regarding lift chain speed. I was there this past weekend, and I didn't notice any difference from last year. If it has indeed been slowed, it isn't the least bit noticeable. What IS noticeable, however, is the big improvement of the new shin bar thingy on the lap bar. MUCH better than the straight across version of 2013. Much. I'm about 6 ft tall, BTW, and I had a hard time putting my feet flat on the floor last year. Not the case anymore.

Outlaw Run is IMHO one of the most insane rides ever built - and I'm kinda old

It's probably adjustable for like weather changes, weight of train+riders which is a system I don't think OR has. Kinda like the way trims work on rainy days except this doesn't suck balls and ruins a ride. I can't wait to check out the new shin bars. I saw a photo on face book and towards the bottom of the photo was a kid who's legs weren't even close to touching the shin bars. Also do you guys think that my 6 foot five uncle who weighs no more than three hundred pounds could ride. He says he would like to know in advance so he doesn't get embarrased

^He should be ok. I'm 6'6", and last August was around the same weight and was able to ride. I have really big thighs and that almost caused an issue. If he has normal legs he should be fine as it's not really a stomach size thing, from what I could tell.

Coming all the way from New Jersey to go on a Missouri trip with my first stop being Branson and Silver Dollar City! Will be going here on Sunday so any answers to my questions will be appreciated.

Does it cost more to buy tickets at the gate than online? Since it's Memorial Day Weekend, do you guys think the Trailblazer Pass is a must or can I live without it (I know it's similar to Hersheypark where they only let you use it for each ride once)? Any particular ride order you guys do? How early should I get to the park if I want to beat the opening crowds?

Oh jeez. There's a test seat for your uncle, Jaykethekid, but that might not happen. I was ~250lbs and I'm 6' 1", but I carry my weight in my legs. I fit, but not what I would call comfortably. Because of where the shin guards were, it was hard for me to press the bar farther down on my legs/thighs. That's more a tallness issue than a fat issue though.

Test seat is your friend. Also, interesting to note, on the restraint itself there's a engraved line that has to go past the side of the train. There's apparently a red/green light system that the ops can see as well (like the test seat), but it's nice to gauge it yourself when you sit down.

That's good. I got a bit worried. Did powder keg go down at all. I here it is being pretty sassy

Powderkeg did not go down at all while we were there. However it did have a pretty nice line all day. But the ops were great at dispatching so the line kept moving.

Coming all the way from New Jersey to go on a Missouri trip with my first stop being Branson and Silver Dollar City! Will be going here on Sunday so any answers to my questions will be appreciated.

Does it cost more to buy tickets at the gate than online? Since it's Memorial Day Weekend, do you guys think the Trailblazer Pass is a must or can I live without it (I know it's similar to Hersheypark where they only let you use it for each ride once)? Any particular ride order you guys do? How early should I get to the park if I want to beat the opening crowds?

You can save $5.00 per ticket at the gate if you take a labile from a coke product. (One label per ticket) Otherwise the tickets are the same price online as they are at the gate. I don't know if Trailblazer is a must, however it might be beneficial. You can use it up to 8 times. So I do not think it is limited to each attrition just once. Unless you get Trailblazer plus, then its unlimited rides. I went last weekend, and I was on the verge of going to get trailblazer pass simply because I am not patient enough to wait in Outlaw Run's line. Then longest we saw it however was posted at 40 minutes, and it was pretty much 40 minutes give or take a few minutes. I would judge it when you get there, if you think you need it you can usually buy them at the park that day if they have not sold out yet.

While we were there, Powder Keg was pretty reliable, at least i didn't know it broke down. But whenever it rains, SDC will shut down the ride because I've heard it's sensitive to rain. The crew worked very hard and they ran three trains very smoothly.

While we were there, Powder Keg was pretty reliable, at least i didn't know it broke down. But whenever it rains, SDC will shut down the ride because I've heard it's sensitive to rain. The crew worked very hard and they ran three trains very smoothly.

Not sure how reliable the info was, but I had a conversation with a guy at Wild Adventures who said he used to work at SDC back when Powder Keg was first installed, and he said the reason it can't run in the rain is because the weird sloped transfer track from the station to the launch rides on steel wheels on train rails and they slip when they're wet. Seemed semi-plausible to me.

Not sure how reliable the info was, but I had a conversation with a guy at Wild Adventures who said he used to work at SDC back when Powder Keg was first installed, and he said the reason it can't run in the rain is because the weird sloped transfer track from the station to the launch rides on steel wheels on train rails and they slip when they're wet. Seemed semi-plausible to me.

Seems easy to fix. Add a rain shield or change the wheels! That launch and the twists in the rain will be really cool.

Thanks for all the replies for my uncle.

Well since it is Memorial Day it'll be pretty busy, but Sundays aren't usually extremely busy. It's usually a bit cheaper online. Trailblazer is a limited 6 use on the regular pass you can use as much on any ride you want besides outlaw run( have they changed that yet) the. There is a special pass that is unlimited but still only once on OR. Well I get there before they open to be at the front of the madness mosh crowd of people fighting and running to outlaw run so get there maybe 30 to 15 min before they open. Make sure you hit up fire in the hole and thunderation they are hidden coasters at the park that are pretty cool.

I have heard both this and that the sensors utilize lasers which go hay-wire when moisture gets on them. Both seem like issues that should have been avoided and addressed, but alas, PK still closes down for the slightest sprinkle.

Maybe I'll see you there on Sunday yankeeman. I suggest heading to OR first and then PK.

That's interesting I'll be there too! I think powder kegs up reliability has to do more with the laser sensors than the transfer track. The steel wheels don't power the transfer track they just roll, so it shouldn't be a problem p. what powers the transfer track is just a set of cables I think or the large. Lack chain of boxes with a bunch if cords inside it. It'll be interesting if I see you guys there, not trying to be creepy though just interesting to know so many people will be there

Sunday will be better than Saturday or Monday but still busy. I'd go with Trailblazer Pass this weekend. Also, it's not exactly each ride once. It gives you a total of eight line skips, and there are eight rides you can use it on. So obviously it's intended for you to go on each ride once, but you don't have to. For example, you may want to choose to wait in the general line on Fire in the Hole if its line is short so you can skip Powder Keg's line twice. However, the pass can only be used once per day on Outlaw Run.

No, it has to do with the lasers that align the transfer track to the launch section; when it rains, the refraction can cause the lasers to be off slightly. Not good at all to be off when you're about to launch a vehicle to 60mph in 2 seconds.

My grandpa had his first ride on outlaw run today. He loved it. He said it was very smooth intense and hailed a$$. In his words. It was great and the new shun bars are an improvement. The only problem I have of outlaw run is that now you only get to chose the front or back. If it's not those you want you get a designated seat

^I'm usually all for free choice, but at least they are letting you wait for the best seats. Hopefully that will improve capacity, as I'm sure is the intent. Does Outlaw Run have any exceptionally good seats other than the front and back?

They were assigning seats earlier in the day, but they seem to have given that up due to low crowds. The rain has been closing rides off and off and driving people away. Apparently the assigned seats thing is something they do on days that are projected to be really busy. More details when I get back to the hotel tonight.

When I come down next month, I want to get a picture of Outlaw Run's Golden Ticket. Where is it?

It is above the station. When you are sitting on the brake run it is right in front of you. If you walk down the Trailblazer entrance path you should be able to get a picture of it.

^I'm usually all for free choice, but at least they are letting you wait for the best seats. Hopefully that will improve capacity, as I'm sure is the intent. Does Outlaw Run have any exceptionally good seats other than the front and back?

Somewhere towards the middle it seems a bit more intense but really every seat on outlaw run is a great one unless you care more about being able to see

So in words of my day. We got into the park 9:00 and got super trailblazers for me and my grandpa. Our first ride was thunderation. No wait as always, but it's right as the park opened. We next hit up wildfire which was a two train wait for the front, but still it's very early in the day. Yea we didn't use our pass until we got to powder keg which it's line was all along that straight section linking to the station from the switch backs. We used our passes. It was a lot smoother this year. The fire wasn't working which was a bummers we then hit Outlaw Run and boy, that was amazing. Seemed a bit smoother this season too and the new shin bars are great. I got my grandpa on it and he loved it. I also got my mom on there too. She was terrified, but she liked it.mwe finished our day with lost river of the ozark and fire in the hole which the Dalmatian was there and they were walking it through the que line when we were there. They were sending trains on fire in the hole very fast. They measured and found they were going 3 times the average p.p.h. I wish I got photos but it was PACKED. They are expecting 20,000 people to show up this Sunday so we are going back Monday

Really great day today. I guess I'll save the blow-by-blow and photos for when I get home tomorrow night or Monday, but to sum it up: I ate a ton of food, rode just about everything, listened to a ton of bluegrass, and watched a lot of craftsmen.

Days with off-and-on rain are the best days to visit SDC. Sure, the rides close down for a fairly long bit when there's lightning in the area, but the park just clears out so that when things open up again you have it all to yourself. There's tons to do besides rides anyway, I spent half my time today at the saloon show, listening to various bluegrass bands (they're having a Bluegrass and BBQ festival right now), and shopping and watching craftsmen do their thing. In addition to all that I got my fill of Wildfire, Powderkeg, Outlaw Run, Thunderation, The Giant Swing, Flooded Mine, Fire-in-the-hole, the train... basically every big ride except the water rides.

Not much to report on the construction. Looks about the same as the previous photos, but I took some new photos that detail where the utilities are being placed. I assume that will allow us to estimate where they're putting the new rides. A lot of stuff is going on behind the scenes right now to get ready for the new expansion I'm told.