TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Rougie and Valravn

now they ONLY have Rougie left... .

Really, guys? Would it kill you to type two more letters?

Pipescream added to the wall

LMMFAO

Hold on, with the track sections, did anyone notice the face that the ties are not flat on the top? I'm not entirely sure if it actually means anything, but it's an interesting look.

The last large Dive Machine opened 7 years ago, B&M very well could have slightly changed their track style by now. It's definitely a non-inverted coaster looking at the ties.

Diving Coaster in China doesn't have flat cross ties either.

It looks like Baron 1898 does not have flat ties either. B&M likely changed it just like their braking mechanism and holding brake for the ride.

So Matt Ouimet gave an interview recently to the Sandusky Register.

He mentioned 2016 the pumpkin patch is getting a dark ride. Could it be Cedar Point because of this a page on the website for CP. (I don't know if I can post links, but just google "Cedar Fair Pumpkin" and click the link for the CP site.)

This is 100% speculation.

Looks more like Giga track than Dive Coaster track...

That would be excellent, and even though a B&M remake of Paddlewheel Excursions has a better chance of happening, I will be pulling for the upset.

The track doesnt have to necessarily be for CP...

Perhaps CP will go with the smaller dive coaster track so it can be taller and do more agile maneuvers.

Unrelated, I am going to Cedar Point Friday August 28th, and Saturday August 29th. It is my first trip and I am very excited, that being said I am looking for some pointers, or planning guides that some people in here might be able to point me to. I am going to be staying at breakers express to get access to the 9am opening, and I am planning on getting fastlane plus on Saturday. I know ohio school are back in session so it should be less crowded, but if anyone can give me some crowd predictions that would be great!

Thanks!

After seeing the color of the track, I believe the dive coaster is going to be called Centurion, and a new darkride will be Valravn (If it comes out to actually be Cedar Point's)

"Valravn is described as a peaceless soul in search of redemption that flies by night (but never day)"

Perhaps CP will go with the smaller dive coaster track so it can be taller and do more agile maneuvers.

It makes more sense to use a higher capacity version since this is Cedar Point, with over 3 million guests per year.

After seeing the color of the track, I believe the dive coaster is going to be called Centurion, and a new darkride will be Valravn (If it comes out to actually be Cedar Point's)

"Valravn is described as a peaceless soul in search of redemption that flies by night (but never day)"

Unfortunately, the application for Centurion was suspended in Feb. of 2014 due to a pending application with the same mark. This is likely why Cedar Fair filed Fury 325 a couple of months later.

PRIOR-FILED PENDING APPLICATION(S) FOUND: The trademark examining attorney has searched the USPTO’s database of registered and pending marks and has found no similar registered marks that would bar registration under Trademark Act Section 2(d). TMEP §704.02; see 15 U.S.C. §1052(d). However, a mark(s) in a prior-filed pending application(s) may present a bar to registration of applicant’s mark.

The effective filing date of the pending application(s) identified below precedes the filing date of applicant’s application. If the mark in the referenced application(s) registers, applicant’s mark may be refused registration under Section 2(d) because of a likelihood of confusion with that registered mark(s). See 15 U.S.C. §1052(d); 37 C.F.R. §2.83; TMEP §§1208 et seq. Therefore, action on this application is suspended until the earlier-filed referenced application(s) is either registered or abandoned. 37 C.F.R. §2.83©. A copy of information relevant to this referenced application(s) is attached.

The pending application that prevented Cedar Fair from using the mark was officially registered on May 5th, 2015, so it looks using Centurion is out of the question at this point.

You can read the full letter of suspension here:

https://tsdrsec.uspto.gov/ts/cd/casedoc/sn86094874/SUL20140204122218/download.pdf

It was speculated that the reason for the 15 million price tag was that Normal track was being used like on krake.

Griffon cost 15.6M, this coaster will definitely be of similar size. Isn't the price from the Sandusky

Register excluding excavation, construction cost? I believe that Griffon's reported price tag is the final price (the actual coaster but also construction, land moving). If that is correct, CP's dive machine will definitely be larger than Griffon.

Also to all the naysayers about dive machines: I live close to BGW, and Griffon is absolutely awesome; it has a great mix of airtime and positive G's. Also, it is without a doubt the smoothest coaster I've ever been on.

The spine of the track isn't going to be that big throughout the whole ride. I would almost bet that the track with the huge spine is part of the pullout on the drop. This thing is going to be 230-250 (I have no clue what the rumored height is) feet tall with a near vertical drop, so it's gonna pull some g's, which warrants the huge spine.

I think some people on here have looked at the color of track in a low quality photo taken from someones car where the track is sitting on gravel, and have decided they don't like the color of the track. Add this to the fact that some of these people are totally against CP getting a Dive Coaster, they're now reaching for reasons why it isn't CP's track. It's more probable than not that CP is getting a Dive coaster. It's more probable than not that this is the track going to CP.

It's CP. It's one of the best settings in the industry. I'll say it again, once the ride is constructed, it will look absolutely stunning. I'm sure Cedar Point and Cedar Fair will also do a great job with area around the ride to enhance the look even more.

It was speculated that the reason for the 15 million price tag was that Normal track was being used like on krake.

Griffon cost 15.6M, this coaster will definitely be of similar size. Isn't the price from the Sandusky

Register excluding excavation, construction cost? I believe that Griffon's reported price tag is the final price (the actual coaster but also construction, land moving). If that is correct, CP's dive machine will definitely be larger than Griffon.

Also to all the naysayers about dive machines: I live close to BGW, and Griffon is absolutely awesome; it has a great mix of airtime and positive G's. Also, it is without a doubt the smoothest coaster I've ever been on.

after Griffons drop it is completely boring. any enthusiast would know that

It doesn't seem to be dive machine track. Look here, its the same size as the red wingrider track. Maybe we'll get the dark purple/black after all.

1912275_1514132212195103_1291463179906580979_n.jpg?oh=386416e192c061712d79a5111f6f2f07&oe=561BC6A1

In my view, (a) the two tracks have very different spine proportions, and (b) one photo with similar spine heights does not rule out a dive machine

Compare that section of brown/silver track to this one:

In the quoted picture, the frame spine height is about 3.5x the rail diameter. In the picture directly above, that height is about 5x the rail diameter. Since the rail diameter is a constant, this implies the spine is much thicker in some areas of the ride than in others. Wing rider coasters have generally had more consistent spine thicknesses.

Incidentally, the spine height of Baron 1898 appears to vary from about 5x rail diameter to about 3.5x rail diameter, with the thicker rail at the first drop. Pics from vijfzintuigen.nl

edit: see here.

Edited by ejot