TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Wouldn't mind seeing them take a crack at making mean streak not suck. Bout the only thing cedar point is missing is a really good wooden coaster.

I've heard Blue Streak's Airtime is insane.

I think if they can get a good non-looping wooden coaster, followed by a looping one, their line up would be stellar and would blow MM out of the water.

On second thought, why not compete with Magic Mountain with Gemini? I know it's unrealistic as it's already hybrid, but why not make an inversion on the current layout of Gemini? They can avoid the looping wooden coaster and save the spot for something more innovative (B&M 4D anyone?!)

In coaster lineup, who currently has the edge in your mind - Cedar Point or Magic Mountain?

You said it yourself, the Gemini idea is unrealistic. In saying that, the plot of land that's in discussion seems to be shaping up to be a B&M dive machine.

Wouldn't mind seeing them take a crack at making mean streak not suck. Bout the only thing cedar point is missing is a really good wooden coaster.

I wouldn't call it insane. It's definitely a fun ride for its size, though. And it does have some good air. I just wish it was a bit smoother.

I think if they can get a good non-looping wooden coaster, followed by a looping one, their line up would be stellar and would blow MM out of the water.

On second thought, why not compete with Magic Mountain with Gemini? I know it's unrealistic as it's already hybrid, but why not make an inversion on the current layout of Gemini? They can avoid the looping wooden coaster and save the spot for something more innovative (B&M 4D anyone?!)

In coaster lineup, who currently has the edge in your mind - Cedar Point or Magic Mountain?

You said it yourself, the Gemini idea is unrealistic. In saying that, the plot of land that's in discussion seems to be shaping up to be a B&M dive machine.

I'd say Cedar Point, but SF fanboys would be screaming MM. Let's make those fanboys look at Cedar Point again.

It's weird they'd show Outlaw Run for a dive machine though.

I'm sorry, the first two hills on this look really ejectorful.

Edited by CanobieFan

I think they are trying to throw us off after the Register leak. Hopefully a Mean Streak upgrade is in the near future for the park as well. Having a Dive Machine and RMC Mean Streak sounds like the best of both worlds.

Great news about the Maverick restraints. While I've never had much of a problem with the current harnesses the new ones will still be an improvement. It also sounds like there is a lot of preparation going on for next year's new attraction. I'm glad Cedar Point is saving rides that can be relocated easily rather than just removing them, and improving the Wicked Twister midway is a good choice as that area seemed to be lacking compared to the rest of the park.

As for the RMC tease, I would be very surprised if next year's coaster was an RMC. The company has stated they will be building three coasters in 2016 and there are just too many hints for other rides. However, I did hear a rumor around the time of IAAPA that Cedar Fair has been looking into testing the RMC conversion on another coaster in the chain (I want to say Timber Wolf at Worlds of Fun, but I don't remember for sure), and presumably if that is successful the technology may be used in other parks. If that ends up happening, Mean Streak would be a very likely candidate for a conversion, so perhaps the tease is relating to that possibly. Then again, it's also quite possible Cedar Point just wanted to mess with all the enthusiasts .

Cedar Point does have a really good wooden coaster and it's name is Blue Streak. What they are missing is a great wooden coaster. Let's hope in the near future that Mean Streak gets altered in some way or replaced by a new wooden coaster.

I never had a problem with the restraints on Maverick and I'm curious to see if the new restraints will affect my experience in any way. Regardless it's still going to remain one of my favorite coasters.

They are opening up a good amount of land for a future attraction. I was going to include a picture of the area, but I couldn't get the file size small enough. I'm not too good with that sort of thing. Anyway, the shape of the new available space makes me think it's for a coaster. If a coaster with a vertical drop is coming then I would much rather it be something like Fahrenheit over a dive machine. It's way too early to tell what's coming, but I'm pretty excited. On a side note I will miss the Turnpike Cars and I hope they find a new home. I would love if one of the cars ended up at my home .

The new Wicked Twister midway is a nice change and it will bring some more life into that area. It's little things like this that can enhance a guests experience. Good job Cedar Point.

I was going to include a picture of the area, but I couldn't get the file size small enough. I'm not too good with that sort of thing.

When I need to make a picture size smaller to fit it to the requirements of TPR, I use this site: http://apps.pixlr.com/editor/

Please try using that because I'd love to see photos!

Today is a prime example of why Cedar Point is so highly regarded in almost every way. Enthusiasts (and potentially disappointed families) were concerned they would remove even more family rides for another record breaking coaster. What do they do? They relocate both rides (Turnpike Cars is unnecessary- what park needs three antique car rides?), while refreshing yet another somewhat outdated section of the park. None of this was announced, they didn't try to sell more passes with this, they're just doing it because it's right.

With Maverick's restraints, this was mostly enthusiasts (and some park guests) complaining about an otherwise world class roller coaster. They're not going to sell more passes off marketing new Maverick restraints. The ROI on this will be incredibly low, if not zero. They didn't need to do this, but they wanted to. To improve the guest experience. All the other improvements as well- more food options, restrooms in Chickie's and Pete's, etc.

Cedar Point is hitting their stride, just at the right time.

My take on the RMC teasers... Ouimet/all the higher-ups must be very well aware what RMC could do for this park. They've continued to tease about this potential project for a good while now. In my eyes, this is happening in the next three years, and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

If you look 2-3 years down the road after this supposed Dive coaster and an I-boxed Mean Streak, Cedar Point is the undisputed best park in the world, claiming that meaningless title back from Europa Park.

^^I don't think anything like Fahrenheit is plausible. I find Fahrenheit an "eh" ride anyway, so I'm hoping for this Dive Coaster! Seeing as CP has been in love with B&M lately, this Dive Coaster looks likely.

I don't think it's plausible either. I was just saying I would prefer something like Fahrenheit, but I do agree that it's an okay ride. I only rode it once and I think I set my expectations too high. Still I'll take a decent Intamin over a B&M.

^^I don't think anything like Fahrenheit is plausible. I find Fahrenheit an "eh" ride anyway, so I'm hoping for this Dive Coaster! Seeing as CP has been in love with B&M lately, this Dive Coaster looks likely.

I don't think it's plausible either. I was just saying I would prefer something like Fahrenheit, but I do agree that it's an okay ride. I only rode it once and I think I set my expectations too high. Still I'll take a decent Intamin over a B&M.

You have to also consider, at least from a GP standpoint, Maverick and Fahrenheit would look almost identical. Small trains, intamin track, 90/beyond vertical drop...I just don't see it.

Today is a prime example of why Cedar Point is so highly regarded in almost every way. Enthusiasts (and potentially disappointed families) were concerned they would remove even more family rides for another record breaking coaster. What do they do? They relocate both rides (Turnpike Cars is unnecessary- what park needs three antique car rides?), while refreshing yet another somewhat outdated section of the park. None of this was announced, they didn't try to sell more passes with this, they're just doing it because it's right.

With Maverick's restraints, this was mostly enthusiasts (and some park guests) complaining about an otherwise world class roller coaster. They're not going to sell more passes off marketing new Maverick restraints. The ROI on this will be incredibly low, if not zero. They didn't need to do this, but they wanted to. To improve the guest experience. All the other improvements as well- more food options, restrooms in Chickie's and Pete's, etc.

The Kool Aid tastes very good when you drink it from the perspective CP is serving it to enthusiasts and guests. These highly-anticipated changes are definitely going to significantly help these areas of the park. However, the motive behind these changes comes down to enhancing the guest experience in order to drive revenues by increasing guest spending and pass purchases. So these changes are "right" but they are meant for Cedar Point to make more $$$ in the long run.

Very, very well said.

With as much stuff as the park has, a good portion of it was at the end of its life or just not quite living up to its full potential. Mantis was the best example, as it had just an awesome presence, design, and layout but gave a somewhat painful, ride-it-once ride. Maverick never caused me any trouble, and I haven't experienced I305 yet, but if there was a concern by other guests, I'm glad they are paying attention to them, even though they won't get any ROI from it.

Hopefully the other major problem in the park (Mean Streak) will either see some changes made to it or be replaced.

The small details have really made the park more enjoyable for me and where the GP might not notice it, I feel that it will pay off in the long-run. Little things like the added restrooms and retheming/fixing up shops or eateries, the win a skip-the-line pass from Gatekeeper Pinko, the gate-less turnstyles at the front and of course, the quality of food goes such a long way and is a relatively simple fix.

I enjoyed the Turnpike, and took a couple of extra trips on it last year, and yes, its a low capacity, and hard-to-get-into attraction that uses a lot of man labor to run it.

I am a bit concerned that they are taking out 3 relatively significant family/kids attractions for whatever comes in 2016, (the Theater being the biggest one), so I hope a new exciting show will replace it soon.

The Kool Aid tastes very good when you drink it from the perspective CP is serving it to enthusiasts and guests. These highly-anticipated changes are definitely going to significantly help these areas of the park. However, the motive behind these changes comes down to enhancing the guest experience in order to drive revenues by increasing guest spending and pass purchases. So these changes are "right" but they are meant for Cedar Point to make more $$$ in the long run.

Well, yes and no. Of course, their goal is to sell more passes, higher satisfaction, etc. What's going to sell these passes? The refreshed hotels, the dive coaster, the improved park experience, etc. NOT new restraints on an already extremely popular coaster. NOT relocating an old flat ride. Yes, Cedar Point is trying to increase profits with the new e-ticket rides and improving guest satisfaction while doing so, but it's these small improvements that don't sell passes themselves and aren't marketed that put this park a step above.

My take on the RMC teasers... Ouimet/all the higher-ups must be very well aware what RMC could do for this park. They've continued to tease about this potential project for a good while now. In my eyes, this is happening in the next three years, and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

If you look 2-3 years down the road after this supposed Dive coaster and an I-boxed Mean Streak, Cedar Point is the undisputed best park in the world, claiming that meaningless title back from Europa Park.

This. Friggin this.

SFI would be wicked excited to remove Calypso, as the old ride it is it must cost money to maintain. Instead, Cedar Point brings new life and theming to it. The Dodgems is a big building, and they already have two in the park, but Cedar Point knows guests like the rides, and they work it out. They always do. Cedar Fair does an amazing job of maintaining rides. Look at MiA, Shivering Timbers is greatly maintained, and they keep a traditional family feel at the park (according to many enthusiasts). Look at Six Flags with Riverside. Riverside in 2000 had such a great variety of rides with something for everyone. Since 2006, the parks dumped most of their flats, and only 2 rides remain from Riverside. The Carousel, and Thunderbolt. Cyclone was removed ( ), Skyway was removed, Catapult, Double Trouble, Time Warp, Nightwing, Rodeo, etc.

Cedar Fair, great job working with Cedar Point. Keep it up!

^It'll be just like 2002 when the large plot of land was walled off and Dragster was starting to rise which makes me wonder if we'll see any vertical construction by Halloweekends.

Just got caught up on all the news.

1. Love the colors on the Rougarou car. Very sharp and will look great against the orange track.

2. Surprised about the new Maverick restraints. I never had any issues with the current ones.

3. Happy they are keeping Calypso and renaming it a ride from CP's past. Interesting spot as I would have thought the old Schwabinchen/Chaos location would be more ideal.

4. Yay, the old Turnpike cars are gone! I'll be hated for that comment but I just think it's long overdue. The park has two other car rides for families to enjoy. Though for whatever is going in that spot I see the Cadillac Cars getting rerouted.

5. Despite the increase of attractions along the Wicked Twister midway over the years it still seemed like it needed more and I'm glad it's getting some love this year.

You have to also consider, at least from a GP standpoint, Maverick and Fahrenheit would look almost identical. Small trains, intamin track, 90/beyond vertical drop...I just don't see it.

Exactly.

I am a bit concerned that they are taking out 3 relatively significant family/kids attractions for whatever comes in 2016, (the Theater being the biggest one), so I hope a new exciting show will replace it soon.

Good Time Theatre is significant because it was the biggest theater. I don't know how popular the ice skating shows were, but I'm sure Cedar Point has a replacement show. Maybe the Luminosity stage will be used for a new daytime show. The Turnpike Cars aren't much of a loss because there are two other antique car rides. I think the Turnpike Cars suffered from their location as well. That area of the park always seems a bit dead to me and I never waited more than 15 minutes to ride. Luckily Calypso and Dodgem are staying and being moved to a relatively high traffic area. I don't think you will be concerned when the season gets rolling.