TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

One thing that I found interesting this year is how they were directing traffic into the marina side parking lot around 11:30 in the morning. This lot is usually empty and they were funneling traffic in there at the same pace as the main lot...they knew it was going to be mobbed.

At that time, the parking lot was about 1/2 to 3/4 full and by the time we drove back to Camper Village to pick up my Dad & girlfriend, went golfing and got back to CP around 6:30, the main lot looked about full & there were a lot of vehicles driving around in the main lot just looking for a vacated parking spot.

Had to chuckle a bit knowing that you can easily park in the Soak City lot at the back of the park. When the water park isn't open, it's a great place to park during Halloweekends...plus you get the cool drive-back around the park. The SC lot was about half full on this occasion, which was surprising because it's usually close to empty in the offseason.

Edit to Chuck: I would say that the haunt at CP is decent, but there could be many, many improvements when compared to some of the Universal haunt reports I have seen on here. I actually thought that the Kings Island haunt was a bit nicer when I went a couple of years ago...and I wasn't overly impressed with the CP haunt a couple of Friday's ago.

How does CP's Haunt stack up to others in the chain?

We seem to think that they are pretty tame compared to the other ones- they renamed Dr. D. Mented's Asylum to Eternity Infirmary due to a local controversy (however, it is still pretty asylum-themed.) Eden Musee is pretty scary - it is dark and you can't see the monsters - however, my favorite scene with the strobe lights wrapped people that sometimes sneak up and say "psst..." doesn't seem to have as many living monsters (monstly models) or none - or at least I haven't seen them move this year - but I've only been through twice this year.

Zombie High School (Replacing Club Blood) has a bit of scare to it, but maybe it only seems like that because most times I've been through it were on a Fall Freakout GOCC tour with no monsters and full lighting. If you notice, the plans on the wall and boards in the "drafting classroom" are for several haunts, including Zombie High School itself. The books (glued down) and tech equipment in the library and old tech closet seem to be real (on the tour, the old stereo was blasting scratchy sounding songs, including what sounded like Gangnam Style.) Despite how much I like it (especially the rather funny jockstraps hanging from the ceiling at the end), I miss the hanging clear body bags (or something like that) in the strobe light room from Club Blood. I also really miss Happy Jack's Toy Factory - it was long and the peeing dolls at the end were hilarious. Hopefully when Eden Musee is retired, they'll bring back a toy factory haunt (with peeing dolls.)

On the other hand, Fear Faire sucks now, its just a winding path through the picnic pavillion with a bunch of plastic props. It used to have a large circular "marketplace" if I remember that you could stay in as long as you wanted. That is gone now, and the haunt is a bit lame.

So why don't I think Halloweekends is any more violent than any other haunts? At Dorney Park (which, like many CF parks, still uses the Asylum theme, or at least it did in 2011 when I went in the fall), the Asylum person gave us rules at the beginning. It started as normal - don't touch the monsters, they won't touch you, etc... but then they said "don't drop the soap." Sure enough, I believe the first scene was a shower scene. That should sum things up for you.

As for rides, its the same, although the different operating schedule and weather conditions means that you might get slow rides (MF in the morning on Sunday was lacking airtime in practically every way except the usual airtime on the first drop in the back) or fast rides, or maybe the opening and closing of the back rows on Dragster might net you a rollback (still waiting for the lucky day.) If you care, some of the less popular coasters (Gemini, Mine Ride, Mantis, Corkscrew, and I would say the kiddie coasters too) are closed on Friday, though Mean Streak and I think Iron Dragon stay open - correct me if I missed anything. Also, on Saturdays and Sundays, Corkscrew closes during the parade - the floats get too close to the corkscrews to allow it to run. All water rides are shut down all the time, I think (I don't think they run during Halloweekends at all) - Thunder Canyon's trough is for CornStalkers (another interesting haunt), StR has been shut down since the accident, and SRF is also closed. Skyhawk has reopened one arm, although I could swear it swings to maximum height for less time now (the cycle may have been shortened.)

How does CP's Haunt stack up to others in the chain?

CP has probably the worst out of the Cedar Fair events I have been to.

I have only been at Canada's Wonderland and Kings Island to compare within the Cedar Fair chain, but I like both better than CP. Both have better houses... All have relatively weak zones though.

Canada's Wonderland's event is amazing house-wise. They have a few houses that are as good as, if not better than some HHN houses. The sets, detail and characters are amazing. We were blown away the first time we had went, not expecting it to be as good as it was. We went back the next year as well. Sadly, we won't make it there this year as we went down to HHN instead. I am surprised I don't hear so much more about CW's event. I really think it can be in the running alongside HHN and Knotts (from what I hear).

CP's event is OK, but the iffy house designs (do you really need bright lights shining in your eyes around each turn of the house?) and careless scare actors talk as soon as they think you leave the room between themselves. Kind of a buzzkill. They also rely on shaker cans wayyyy too much to try and scare you. I don't know, the whole event just feels so "flat" with energy if that makes sense. I just wish the employees had a bit more passion or something.

Yesterday at CP, my friend and I met Mean Streak Henry and rode on the same train as him for his 11,692nd ride. He has one of those stopwatch clicker counters or whatever they're called.

Does he have a spine?

Seems so

cpblog0058.jpg

courtesy of cederpoint.com

Looks like today CP is completely full. Full lot, parking in the grass down the causeway. Traffic was backed up in Sandusky (downtown). Insane. How you can even begin to have an enjoyable day there today is beyond me. I can't imagine leaving that park at close. Best to probably sleep in the car two hours before even trying.

It' s now 3am, and we just got to our hotel that is only 3 miles from the park. The crowds were ridiculous today. I have not ever seen the park this buisy. It was not even enjoyable today. Got in a total of 4 rides and one haunted house.

Time for bed.

I'm wondering how much brain damage he's suffered from that beast.

He's actually only ridden it 20 times.

LOL..yeah, I rode it once and it felt like a few thousand. Sure scrambled my brains! The thought of riding that coaster hundreds, let alone thousands of times is unfathomable to me.

It was ridiculous how busy the park was. I was glad I bought a fast pass a week in advance, but even then it still had hour plus waits on Maverick.

Never again going on a Saturday Halloweekend

It' s now 3am, and we just got to our hotel that is only 3 miles from the park. The crowds were ridiculous today. I have not ever seen the park this buisy. It was not even enjoyable today. Got in a total of 4 rides and one haunted house.

Time for bed.

Sorry, but had to repost my post from a few pages back.

I know some people can only go on a Saturday because of work, but if the weather is nice, every Saturday during Halloweekends (with nice weather) is going to be like this.

As PVA62 said, even with the Fast Lane you can expect to do more waiting that on any other standard day at CP. While I'm glad to see that the event is a huge success, as a theme park enthusiast I know better than to try to do the park on a Saturday anymore.

Way better to go on a Friday or Sunday if you can make it work.

Definitely, definitely buy the Fast Lane Plus if you want to ride all of the coasters without waiting in hellacious lines...this is a no-brainer for a Saturday!!!

We have gotten in the habit of just skipping the park altogether on Saturday's when we go now. During the past couple of years, we have either gone golfing or taken the ferry to Put-In Bay and just gone to the park on Friday night (and sometimes Sunday for a few hours if we feel up to it). Then again, we have been to the park a lot and are within four hours so it is no big deal for us to skip the park on it's most crowded days.

Every time we have stayed at Camper Village or the Breakers for Halloweekends, the parking lot has been completely full on Saturday, with this year being no exception.

Below is a photo I took from the Space Spiral back in '09 on one of the last times we ever paid to enter the park on a Saturday during Halloweekends. I think the Space Spiral was one of about five rides we rode the entire day because of the long lines.

I personally like to use Mean Streak to waste time or just ride because Maverick has a huge line. Not to say that I don't want Iron Streak - I love the idea! Anyways, MS isn't that bad although some of the fast parts (notably sometimes the bottom of the first drop and drop off of the second elevated turn) are bumpy. It's more boring than bumpy. If they really don't want to go all-out on Iron Streak, they should topper track it, remove the trims, and speed up the MCBR.

My impression is that Mean Streak is one of those rides that was great when it first opened, but gradually got worse as the years rolled on. Or was it bad on day 1?

It was untrimmed on day one. IDK about the MCBR.

By the way,

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_erie/hundreds-of-people-were-stuck-in-the-cedar-point-parking-lot-saturday-night-after-halloweekends

Edited by GigaG

^^You are correct, Chuck...

MS was a lot of fun when it first opened and has gotten worse over the years.

When it opened in '91, it seemed very fast and had that out of control pacing (especially around the sharper turns) before they added the trims to keep the ride from tearing itself apart. Certainly not an airtime machine, but it was just a fun coaster to ride during it's first few years.

I remember not being able to catch your breath until that final moment when that sudden brake at the end would hit and people would be making the "Oh my God, that was insane" comments. At that time, Magnum and Mean Streak were easily the biggest, most fun & outrageous coasters that the I had ever ridden.

Compared to other woodies, I can't say that this coaster ranks at the top as one of the roughest for me, but it just isn't much fun because of all of the trims which made it into a mostly boring, uneventful ride. It has been a couple of years since I last rode it on a Friday night during Halloweekends when the front seat was a walk-on. Actually, I thought it was kind of fun on that night, but perhaps I just caught it on a "good night".

To throw some semi-rough transitions into the overall slowness are the main reasons why this coaster has lost a lot of ridership and seems to rank low on the Mitch Hawker poll amongst the enthusiast crowd in past years. And judging by the short waits (save for Halloweekends and summer weekends), the GP doesn't seem to particularly care too much for it anymore either, which is a shame really because (like SoB) it is a very impressive, beautiful looking structure.

It really would be nice for them to do something to restore it to it's former glory because they really need some other thrills besides Maverick and Skyhawk to draw people to one of the nicer themed areas of the park.

^^ Well they are parking in the middle of thousands of people packed onto a peninsula who are all leaving at once..you probably should have known that was going to happen. I did a Fright Fest Saturday night at one of the smallest parks in the country last night (Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, CA) and their parking lot was completely full. We were all the way in the back and left after the park closed and even with their parking lot being I dunno a 5th the size of CP's it took us 45 minutes to get out from when we got in the car. Also, $100 for a room in Sandusky? They probably could have done better than that, but I realize they were worried and probably trying to get the first room they saw.

Regardless of whether or not the park is really at fault here, articles like this one, not to mention the hundreds of negative comments plastered to CP's Facebook page, show that the current parking situation can bad for business on days with extreme crowds.

I, too, have experienced gridlock in trying to exit CP's parking lot at closing time on especially crowded days; it stinks. And at midnight, when guests are tired and likely facing a long drive home, it's little wonder tensions flare so quickly.

While I understand some congestion in inherent to large crowds all trying to leave at once, I think the park needs to take a serious look at their parking / traffic management and devise a better solution for days like this. It's unfortunate, in my opinion, that yesterday's guests will likely remember this parking fiasco over any other positive aspect(s) of their visit. And I think the park should be concerned that it's made such a negative impression on guests.