TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I would like to see a GCI personaly, and with two other CF parks getting GCI'd in the past 5 years I see that as the most logical possibility. With that said I think more could be done with an Intamin that would get more attention from the general public, and with CF's history of taking care of their woodies maybe a pre-fab isn't a bad idea.

I would like to see a GCI personaly, and with two other CF parks getting GCI'd in the past 5 years I see that as the most logical possibility. With that said I think more could be done with an Intamin that would get more attention from the general public, and with CF's history of taking care of their woodies maybe a pre-fab isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, I bet Intamin could pull off a somewhat copy of one of the old Traver style twisters.....Rye Aeroplane maybe????

I have never rode an intamin plug'n'play woodie, but from what I've herd about el toro I think that it would be a better option for CP. Perhaps it could utilize the cable lift and have a slightly steeper lift hill in order to save space. CP kinda has a reputation for going big and I think the pre-fab could accomplish what CP aims for more easily. Also, it would keep the intamin run going.

Any kind of Boardwalk woodie would make me happy! I love wooden coasters set on the beach, and I would love if CP put one in. Cedar Fair has built GCIs in the past few years, but haven't the last 4 of CP's coasters been Intamin? I would be so happy if they put in a smaller sized prefab along the beach. Something the size of El Toro would be an eyesore in that location, so somewhere closer to 100' would be wonderful IMO.

/end wishful thinking

I have never rode an intamin plug'n'play woodie, but from what I've herd about el toro I think that it would be a better option for CP. Perhaps it could utilize the cable lift and have a slightly steeper lift hill in order to save space. CP kinda has a reputation for going big and I think the pre-fab could accomplish what CP aims for more easily. Also, it would keep the intamin run going.

El Toro is amazing enough as it is, but as you said, CP would take it up a notch and make it the tallest, fastest, steepest, etc. version...which would totally kick ass. Something like that would definitely give their collection the quality boost it needs.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

El Toro is amazing enough as it is, but as you said, CP would take it up a notch and make it the tallest, fastest, steepest, etc. version...which would totally kick A$$. Something like that would definitely give their collection the quality boost it needs.

I don't necessairly think they would have to go for a record breaker with a new woodie. Maverick is a good example of them Building a smaller non significant record breaking ride that focused more on an unique experience with a great layout in an imersive atmosphere and It it turned out to be one of best coasters in the park (and most popular). If they go with a pre fab intamin on a boardwalk settng Id expect to see more Balder than T-Express, otherwise with a GCI or Gravity group I would rather see them focus on a great layout in an awesome themed atmosphere (like Maverick) instead of trying to plus a normal Coaster into some kind of record breaker just for the sake of breaking a record.

El Toro is amazing enough as it is, but as you said, CP would take it up a notch and make it the tallest, fastest, steepest, etc. version...which would totally kick A$$. Something like that would definitely give their collection the quality boost it needs.

I don't necessairly think they would have to go for a record breaker with a new woodie. Maverick is a good example of them Building a smaller non significant record breaking ride that focused more on an unique experience with a great layout in an imersive atmosphere and It it turned out to be one of best coasters in the park (and most popular). If they go with a pre fab intamin on a boardwalk settng Id expect to see more Balder than T-Express, otherwise with a GCI or Gravity group I would rather see them focus on a great layout in an awesome themed atmosphere (like Maverick) instead of trying to plus a normal Coaster into some kind of record breaker just for the sake of breaking a record.

Of course they don't have to do anything. I just don't see them deciding to build an Intamin pre-fab, but only making it 118 feet tall. Maverick is great and all, but Cedar Point is world renown to the general public as having the biggest and baddest coasters/rides anywhere, and it's been nearly 9 years since any coaster above 105' was built. Not saying a GCI or GG with a great layout, similar to RFII, wouldn't be a good option, just that I wouldn't put it past them to build a 190'+ Intamin (which would completely and utterly blow away any GCI or GG, in my opinion).

If CP has the option of having a 190ft+ prefab, I wouldn't think they would go with a smaller model, either. Considering the only other US park with a prefab is that same Six Flags park took the tallest and fastest record from them six years ago, maybe CP wants to return the favor?

Why would B&M sign a contract like that, limiting them from selling/building that type of ride and potentially losing out on MILLIONS of dollars of revenue? Does not sound like something that a company that wants to make money, a lot of it, would do. It is more likely that the reason there have been no more Dive Machines built here (yet) is simply that no one else wants one.

Anyone remember the contract vekoma had at one time with paramount parks for the flying dutchman coasters? I take it Busch did the same for the DM too.

My opinion on what would make Cedar Point the top US amusement park again:

- Texas Giant style makeover for Mean Streak

- Large custom B&M flyer (I don't think a B&M Dive Machine would look particularly impressive at Cedar Point since giant and or steep drops have already been done there)

- Lo-Q system to avoid long lines

A couple years later, being down one wooden coaster, a nice GCI near the front of the park would be the perfect way to round out their collection.

In my opinion, CP IS the top amusement park (couldn't resist).

I don't think having the most coasters is an important factor because imo CP has always gone for quality not quantity.

I completely agree something needs to be done with MS. It is one of the most photogenic coasters on the plant, while also being one of the worst.

I'd love to see an Intamin woodie airtime monster and believe at some point, CP will once again go for the world's tallest and/or fastest.

IMO the first thing cedar point should do is to remake Mean Streak. After seing what tey did to TG there is just so freaking much potential, they could also use Intamin trains, and you would have a coaster out of this world compared to MS.

After that i feel that they should go for something new for the entire family in terms of a new coaster. Kinda what Bush is going for right now. Maybe a dueling motocoaster or something similar.

^^I completely agree. if someone wanted to have the record they could just stuff the park with low cost, small footprint kiddie/family coasters and, bang record taken.

as for a Cedar Point woodie, a gravity group twister like the one at Grona Lund could easily fit and for that pre-fab, a balder clone along the beach could also work out, there are still many options.

I don't think having the most coasters is an important factor because imo CP has always gone for quality not quantity.

Agreed. I think it will be very hard for CP to keep up with SFMM in terms of "number of coasters," unless they start building more kiddies and low capacity coasters. SFMM is trying very hard to keep that record at this point and if I were CP, I say let them have it. THey should continue to invest in more diverse rides such as flats, water rides, and high capacity coasters. I can't imagine CP building a Zac Spin unless they have a "major" coaster to compliment it.

Alternatively, they can bring in used kiddie coasters, forget flat and family rides, and build coasters in the 8-12 million dollar range every year to try to keep up with MM. It's an option I guess but I hope the new C.E.O. doesn't decide to take that route.

If CP wanted the "most" title back, they could have it next year with a couple cheap kiddie coasters as you mentioned. I don't think they care.

What I suspect they do care about is SFGA, with the worlds tallest and fastest, and Hershey with a new coaster opening next year. I live in Boston and try to get to one of those three parks every year. I've lost count of all the New Yorkers I've met at CP, so I personally think CP will have something epic for us in 2013. While the East Coast is out of CP's immediate marketing area, with 50% of the entire US population living between Boston and Washington DC, I just think they'll give us a reason to make the <12 hour drive.

If for any reason a Zacspin was to be built, the one area that I would love to see it would be inside Mean Streak's super structure. Lengthen and widen the entrance to Mean Streak and use some of Mean Streak's enormous queue for the Zacspin and use the junkyard for the location. It is a huge area that would fit perfectly besides being able to see the ride, so naturally it would need heavy advertising in the park.