TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^^ I had ridden the one over in Blackpool over 10 years ago, and it was pretty tame compared to this one!

There was a bit of fear there, when the c-force starting pulling me out, just a little. Held on tighter and tighter, lol.

^ Actually I was being sarcastic, but I think I used the wrong smiley face. Everybody hated it. I remember the cries.

Wow, if you weren't in a wheel seat that's actually pretty surprising. The ride is absolutely brutal in wheel seats but I've always found it to be a lot of fun otherwise. I skipped it this year though so maybe it's just running worse than normal.

Bill - is it safe to assume by your new avatar that you really liked your visit to CP?

and actually. . he was just waiting for me to post this one, so he could snag it. . . .THIS has simply *got* to be his new Avatar:

I agree, Bert!!!

Yeah, count me as one that's a "little" surprised to hear about Blue Streak. I always wait for the front and have had some smoother "wheee" airtime on it. Hopefully they can drop a little love on it within the next couple of years as it's too much of a historic icon to not keep it running well.

Then again, I have also had both good and bad rides on Gemini in the past too. If you get in the wrong seat, that final helix can become "the helix of hot death" real quick-like.

Wow, if you weren't in a wheel seat that's actually pretty surprising. The ride is absolutely brutal in wheel seats but I've always found it to be a lot of fun otherwise. I skipped it this year though so maybe it's just running worse than normal.

yeah. . pretty much everyone was talking about how rough it was.

the smoothest part of the whole thing was when we put on the seat belts. thank goodness it was short, as it was BRUTAL.

the only other coaster I wouldn't get on again was Raptor (too much headbang for me). .although we only rode Rougarou once, but that was not due to roughness (tho once was enough). . more because it was down a bunch of times we tried to ride.

everything else got multiple rides!

^^ I think I've got the dirty old man down pretty good, now. Pulled a tooth, let the hair go.

IMG_3747.JPG.c4b5d55c9a3608efbd34948224e68249.JPG

Here's me cuddling with my cider in their spacious old west town. Sexy, huh?

^^ Raptor is more jarring than any other invert for sure and always has been. I still love the sh*t out of it, and we rode it in the rain a few weeks ago and had an amazing ride but you definitely need to put your head forward and brace for that final turn and for the cobra roll.

Personally, I love those jarring transitions but I know I'm in the minority. Apparently it's also smoother on the right side of the train, I personally don't care but Brit does and that's what she's decided. Front row, far left is where it's at for me but if you find it rough then that's definitely NOT the seat for you.

actually. . JUST for you, bill? I got TBPony on the skyride. . after she admitted to me she'd never been on it! so she, her Mom, Dianne, and I (Nrthwnd had gone back to room) rode the CP Skyride. . LOL

I have to clarify!! I LOVE sky rides but hadn't been on the one at CP because I usually go with my boyfriend who never wants to wait for it. Thankfully he was at home caring for my menagerie this trip so I could have fun with Bert and Bill... and my mom, who took an incredible (accidental) shot of Bert featuring his crotch while he was riding Cedar Downs!

Speaking of snappy inverts, Raptor was snappy AF (and to be fair I only had one ride on it) but I feel like Alpengeist was incredibly snappy through the cobra roll and into the midcourse. Like, ridiculously so. I remember saying that to you, Bill.

Then again we had just come from sitting in Chickies for an hour before we did Raptor so I probably just wasn't feeling the snaps so much? Oh who am I kidding I was drinking from the minute we walked into Busch so there goes that theory! Delete! Delete!

You're right about Alpengeist for sure. I don't know why those types of things never bothered me. I hate coasters that throw my head around constantly but if it only happens once or twice in isolated locations I almost enjoy it.

Maybe the Alpengeist snaps just stands out to me because we rode it a bunch? God I love that ride.

Raptor I just remember feeling long, like it wouldn't end (not in a bad way tho). We were loaded by the time we got on that.

Blue Streak was running fine yesterday in car 2 row 1. My brother, however, was in the row in front of me and I could even see how brutal it was for him. When you don't sit in the wrong rows that ride can be a lot of fun. Especially when there's no wait.

As for Raptor, I love the jarring transitions. But I've been enjoying Vortex on my days at Kings Island this week so what do I know?

Blue Streak on a wheel seat. That was something you didn't have to concern yourself with before all the extra hardware on PTC trains (most of that started mid-90s). More reason to cherish the very few true classic wood coasters we have, with old-style seating/restraints. People do stupid things and it ruins (part of) the fun for everyone else.

Individual lap bars and associated assemblies - 200lb per bench, headrests with 40lb metal cores, I doubt the seat dividers add much weight. Every wood coaster that had that change-over has suffered in recent years from wheel seat syndrome. Don't get me wrong, former classics could get rough wheel seats, but it's much worse now. It really changes the entire feel of the ride. Just look at all the extra support, mid-bents, etc. that have been put in place on every single woodie that changed over to those ratchet bars. Dorney at Thunderhawk will start getting all that extra wood over the next couple years. And any roughness of the former trains will increase with these new heavier trains (the bulk of the weight, as mentioned, is in those individual lap bar assemblies. I know it didn't get the volvo headrests.)

Ho-hum. Sorry guys. Venting done.

Anyway, howbout that new Ghost Streak! I'm curious to see who thinks it will get extra laps with a mid-course (formerly end of course on Mean Streak) launch. How about a huge "stall" like Goliath over the entrance way!? Metal arches, of course. Didn't someone see concrete trucks going back there? Longest record of any coaster... now THAT would be a good brag.

Edited by JT325

Dorney at Thunderhawk will start getting all that extra wood over the next couple years. And any roughness of the former trains will increase with these new heavier trains (the bulk of the weight, as mentioned, is in those individual lap bar assemblies. I know it didn't get the volvo headrests.)

To be fair, with Blue Streak the train is heavy because you have an extra 200 pounds per bench in addition to the (lets say) 200 pound riders on the train. Nobody goes to Dorney so the half empty trains should help reduce the weight of the train quite nicely.

^Ha! Well, that's a way to look at it.

I was surprised Dorney went with those ratchet lap bars. But I guess I shouldn't be after what they did to High Roller at Valleyfair! Totally unnecessary. Perhaps even less safe under certain circumstances. But they happen to satisfy insurance companies preferences. Some parks are very keen to keep stuff "classic," or as classic as they can (SFOG has the headrests and dividers, but retains buzz bars on GASM). I was hoping Cedar Fair would do that with their older rides. They can always go backwards!

Speaking of backwards, what if the (new?) RMC trains for Thundering Brown Streak has backwards seats like that new MACK going in Australia!? Just brainstorming.