TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

That picture with Maverick in the for ground shows a pretty large out banked turn. It almost looks like it could be a high five element?

I thought a similar thing, especially if they are going to duel. It would look cool, but I know which side I would rather be riding!

I'm a West Coast guy just joining this thread. I scanned back bout 10 pages, but haven't seen any possible mention of when this could open. Are there any ideas? It looks too far along to be next year, yet possibly not quite far along enough for this summer. I'm going to be out there at the end of July... should I get my hopes up at all?

^^It looks that way because Mean Streak banked in the opposite direction and those supports are left over from Mean Streak, they're not new. There's no dueling element, there's no high five element. The track is basically designed up to the midcourse. If you want a high five element on a hybrid coaster at Cedar Point next year then make your way over to the Gemini midway and you can slap hands to your heart's content. Hell, you don't even have to wait until 2018, you can ride it now!

I'm going to be out there at the end of July... should I get my hopes up at all?

No. Opening day will most likely be May 12th, 2018.

I'm a West Coast guy just joining this thread. I scanned back bout 10 pages, but haven't seen any possible mention of when this could open. Are there any ideas? It looks too far along to be next year, yet possibly not quite far along enough for this summer. I'm going to be out there at the end of July... should I get my hopes up at all?

Both of the "They're Coming" videos have been 18 seconds long. Also there was a Christmas video with a computer in the background and the screen said, "2018 Capital Plans, Richard Michael Crosby."

Looking forward to more photos from Andy (hope you get your camera working again!) and of course, Bill & Bert's reports...and the many others that will be there.

Camera is toast. Confirmed after further inspection that it's a shutter problem.

very[/i] manageable. Maybe the earlier-in-the-week forecasts helped keep people from planning trips here today? Had a 4-train wait for Dragster at 2PM -- when does that ever happen? Millennium Force was station waits from about 930AM-1030AM (notable because it was actually longer during the official CoasterMania ERT). Longest lines I've seen for anything on the app have been about 20 minutes, though I'd wager the big Intamins might have snuck up to around a half hour at times. Most of the second-tier coasters have been station waits to maybe 5 minutes.

The Q&A session with Tony C, Jason M, Rob D, and others was fun (and funny) even if there wasn't a whole lot of really new information. But a few hints and nuggets that might be worth sharing later. Oh, and I know at least one TPR member had a finalist entry in the photo contest (not me) so hopefully we'll bring home the prize!

Taking a short break but still got ERT to go tonight and it's going to be great.

Sorry to hear about the camera, Andy...but thank you for providing all of the awesome shots that you captured - in particular, the ones on the boat tour.

This is going to be one of the best coasters in the world, and they've done almost no advertising. That tells me that it isn't opening until next year so they can advertise like mad over the winter.

Hi I am not sure about when it might happen, however I did see a tweet that mentioned this fall for Halloweekends. I think it could be possible since, they have a lot done. The other thing that gives me the idea is that they shut down mean streak and buried it in the fall. It would be cool kind of have like a resurrection around the same time a year later. Who knows I would love that since I will be out there Columbus Day weekend like last year.

Had a little fun in Photoshop with The Great Zo's photo to simulate what we may be looking at

http://i.imgur.com/NEUY6iV.png

While this would be incredibly awesome, I think the top speed would be waaay too high for the rest of the course. I think RMC will make to top bit of the lift hill Lightning Rod-ish, with a small predrop.

Another possibility (unlikely?):

A half barrel roll after the lift, like Gatekeeper, transitioning into the vertical drop. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 has this ability with some of the coaster track designs.

I think it most likely it will be a traditional lift and then a big drop, but everything else about this ride is unusual ...

That would involve a vertical half heartline roll (and I know exactly how I'd make it in RCT). That would be a fun, albeit unlikely, element.

I'm more interested in what kind of air we can get out of a hyper-sized RMC drop, though. Wicked Cyclone has the second-best drop I've ever ridden, beating Fury, Millennium, and El Toro, and then this new coaster looks to be twice as high.

A half barrel roll after the lift, like Gatekeeper, transitioning into the vertical drop. Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 has this ability with some of the coaster track designs.

Well, if it's in a video game, it has to be real. I know because I live in one of SimCity 2000's arcologies.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

img_0313_11.thumb.jpg.d51665e224c9110700a1c2e41d25bc9d.jpg

Thank you so much for the sorta-profile picture. Now I can estimate how big this thing's gonna be.

After looking carefully at the picture, it appears that they are using the same number of bents for the lift hill as the original Mean Streak, which means according to Google Earth, the horizontal component of the lift's length is about 307 feet.

Taking a look at the track in place at the lower right hand corner, I noted the "pixel coordinates" from one bent to the next in Paint, and after invoking the mystical powers of trigonometry, I calculated that the current height of the structure is 225 feet tall, so it's already going to be the tallest coaster with inversions in the world. (And knowing CP, I'm gonna bet that they are going to have at least 4 inversions to take the record of hybrid coaster with most inversions, and Mean Streak easily has enough space in its layout to do that.) If RMC is going to go with a split lift with the second half being at the angle of the rest of the yet-to-be-built ledgers for the lift, it will stay pretty close to that. If, however, they are going to stick with a single lift at 45 degrees, we are looking at a 307 foot tall monster here, and it should look like B&MIntaminGCI's paint job:

NEUY6iV.png.3db0c1422d2686ec0a15e48a82777993.png

However, given the size of the speed hill right after the first drop, I'll put my bets on a 225 - 230 foot tall split lift, but since I don't want to spend the time to recreate the first two elements to check the G's, it could still go either way.

Either way, dis gon be gud.

... If, however, they are going to stick with a single lift at 45 degrees, we are looking at a 307 foot tall monster here, ...

Except the lift starts significantly closer to the old station building, cutting at least 50ft off your maximum estimate.

I calculated that the current height of the structure is 225 feet tall, so it's already going to be the tallest coaster with inversions in the world.

Kärnan likes to have a word with you.

Except the lift starts significantly closer to the old station building, cutting at least 50ft off your maximum estimate.
So it could only be taller than Valravn, not Millennium Force. Yum.

I do expect this to be hyper-scale, but not much more than that.

I've heard several different people think it's going to be between 210-230. One youtuber did all kinds of overlays and found something in that range. My guess is around 215 ft. That wouldn't be much taller than the tallest wooden coaster (197 ft) and the tallest RMC (183 ft). I don't see how someone got 307 feet.

The 307 number comes from the horizontal component being 307 feet long. If the lift has an angle of 45 degrees, the horizontal and vertical components would be the same. But it would end up a bit higher than 307 feet since the lift wouldn't start at ground level, most likely.

... If, however, they are going to stick with a single lift at 45 degrees, we are looking at a 307 foot tall monster here, ...

I calculated that the current height of the structure is 225 feet tall, so it's already going to be the tallest coaster with inversions in the world.

Kärnan likes to have a word with you.

Whoops. Forgot to account for those. (Hey, I've been sick for the past three days. Gimme a break. )

After doing some more digging in this thread, I came across this:

20170512_184946.thumb.jpg.2cf7115483fbb2629a979c1eedaf28c5.jpg

It uses four fewer bents at that end (36 less feet of horizontal travel). Also, after more carefully counting the amount of bents used in the pictures I already looked at, the actual current height would be 190 feet with a split lift, or 243 feet with a single 45 degree lift, which makes a lot more sense. However, in order to account for the fact that the lead-in and the lead-out of the lifts will make my results a little taller than expected, I'm gonna say about 240 feet, so that it still just barely gets the title for tallest coaster with inversions.

What was the old angle of ascent?

About 26.57 degrees, as opposed to the new lift at 45 degrees. (The horizontal component was very close to, if not exactly twice as much as the vertical component of the lift.)

Not sure if it's worth posting a TR because I'm sure there'll be one, which is likely to be better, and I still have to fly home so I'll just say Coastermania was insane.

Did every coaster, (including Iron Dragon!), MaXair, Skyhawk, Windseeker and a few other flats. Gatekeeper 3 times, MForce 10 times, TTD 3, Maverick 6 o 7. Amazing experience. I actually was tired/in a lull and left the park for a few hours to nap then come back at 7 for a few more hours/night ERT

The park didn't seem terribly crowded, and everyone clustered at Raptor, Valravn, Maverick. Millennium Force shockingly had little line throughout the day. I got 5 rides in morning ERT but then 5 more during the day :O

So yeah good stuff. As for the new creds:

Gatekeeper. Front row, 7 am. Ride was totally forceless and underwhelming. Rode it twice in back row and it was very forceful. Felt a strong "pull" on most elements. Was actually a pretty good ride.

Valravn. Meh. Great drop, immelmann was fun but MCBR basically killed the ride. Alright ride.

Should say though, saw JRice and crew in action and people were not kidding. That was the fastest loading and release I've ever seen. If I recall he said "The park has been open for 20 minutes and we've already had 500 rides" Good lord! Major props.

Rougarou. Well, it's better than standing

Also having gotten to ride MForce and Maverick so many times in a day can say definitively: MForce is still my favorite in the park. Once it got warmed up later in the day, the speed that thing carries...I know what to expect but it still caught me off guard. Also I know it's more a meme, though many enthusiasts seem to totally mean it, but I would not say the ride is forceless, nor does it have 0 airtime. It's not Maverick or Skyrush, but those claims really are false. Also after so many rides on Maverick I felt a bit thrashed, MForce could ride over and over.

I didn't really great pics of new Mean Streak others will have better, but that ride is gunna be something else. Already looks great. So yeah, one heck of a day at CP

Oh, how could I forget? Got my first ever rollback!!! I was hoping for one because night ERT was plagued with roll backs, there were 2 or 3 just when I was on line, and sure enough we got one. Also had an unexpected launch, after sitting there for a couple of minutes we rolled back, locked, then nothing....then all the lights came on and we took off. Was wild.

^^RMC would definitely have to redesign their trains/restraints for a ride like that, but it's crazy to think about. Knowing Cedar Fair, they're probably gonna slap vest restraints on it anyway, so maybe it's possible!

Some part of me also tells me that this ride won't really have any huge gimmicks. It will just be a huge, fast, long, insane RMC that lives up to Cedar Point standards. It's really exciting to watch everything progress though!

Another fun, pointless speculation about MS 2.0

Perhaps this will be the first wood/steel hybrid tilt coaster.

THAT would be innovation ...

That would be amazing!!!! I think there is about a 0.2% chance of that happening. But OMFG if it did!!