TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

"Top Thrill Dragster is currently closed, once again, Top Thrill Dragster is currently closed. We apologize for any inconvenience and suggest that you try out one of the 65 other rides and attractions here at Cedar Point."

Robb what was the Kumba incident you referred to a couple of pages back? Don't think i ever heard about it though i will go try and look it up.

Rob

I don't know if this was the incident Robb was referring to but I'm sure there was something years back (maybe even a decade) where a young girl died on Kumba, but I'm pretty sure it was a medical condition. I want to say her MOTHER even got blamed because she drank during her pregnancy or something, though I may be getting that confused with a different incident.

Boredom + insomnia + morbid curiosity sometimes causes me to read about this stuff, I think I actually do absorb things occasionally!

hehe join the club, exam time at uni stinks i got boredom + insomnia + even more boring revision

Rob

Being this will be my first trip to CP, I told her ok, but I'm still ticked! Oh well. I threw in a, "At least Disney, Universal, and the Whale here in Orlando know how to open things on time" before I hung up.

But you're wrong about that. How many different Disney, Universal, and otehr Orlando projects didn't open on time?

Test Track

Mission: Space

Men In Black (while it opened on time was closed a week after it opened when that kid fell out)

IOA's Driving Machines

Rhino Rally (again did open, but was seriously delayed after opening...probably SHOULD have been delayed!!!)

I know there are more....

Like I said, I totally "get" why you're all upset. But you can't go calling and yelling at the Breakers operator as a justification. That's just completely stupid and immature, IMO.

--Robb

I think I'm going to keep my reservations for this weekend. I think the crowds are going to be a bit lighter as a result of the Maverick fiasco. And I can just go back up later this year and get the Maverick credit.

I am still a little bit bummed. I was really looking forward to that ride.

I really don't get what the big deal is. I mean the ride is delayed till what, June? I missed the flaming wars when Wicked was delayed this year, or what about Troy's lift hill nonsense, lets scream about GCI now! I don't see what all of these B&M comments are doing in here, this isn't a B&M. B&M sells different products than Intamin, this isn't even a very big delay for a coaster. I know that people are upset that it won't be ready for opening day, but most enthusiasts should know by now that booking a trip for opening day doesn't guarantee you a spot on a brand new roller coaster.

The worst thing about this is that Maverick isn't even a "top tier, world's best" attraction.

It's a fun looking coaster, but is not a major ticket like Millenium or Dragster.

Seems odd that a coaster that really wasn't getting much attention all of a sudden causes an up roar when it's delayed.

I'm confused.

By reading so many posts by so called "enthusiasts" even from this site, it's really aggravating to see these people that want their money back, or some sort of compensation from CP.

That's just plain STUPID!! GET A FREAKIN' LIFE!!! The world DOES NOT revolve around you, nor your LACK of common sense, nor your INABILITY to read!

Robb & Elissa have MANY TIMES OVER reiterated the problems of trying to hit a specific coaster on opening day/weekend, whatever. Yet you ignore it. Look at the schedules of ANY of the trips they have planned: there is always a contingency plan for weather, traffic and any other situation that may arise.

Why do they do that?? To make sure that their plans are not dependant on a specific ride being open, or weather delays related to their schedule.

Suppose it rained all weekend to the extent that only steeplechase and the antique autos were open?? You still going to BLAME Cedar Point for that? Demand some sort of compensation? If you do, you are certainly a moron.

I too, have spent money on airline tickets to hit CP on June 1. Big deal. It won't be open. So now I've altered my plans, and we're going to drive to Valleyfair (instead of flying) by way of IB and the Dells.

It's a vacation, people. Treat it like one and make the best of your plans.

Failure to plan well, is planning to fail well. It appears that many of you have already done that. I feel NO pity for any of you.

JJ

Thank you, Me my mom and a friend have a hotel reservation, and I'm not planning on canceling because of one ride (albeit a new one). It's one ride, it's going to open eventually, and there making it better and safer by doing this, and personally i would rather wait for a ride to be open then get hurt while riding it. Like JJ said its a vacation, there are a lot worse things then a new ride not being open. Reminds me of a year ago on a cruise with my family, we pulled into port one day (I think it was Cozumel) and it was POURING outside, they didn't let us off the ship until about an hour later then scheduled, and even then me and my family didn't get off. Did we complain? Heck no, were on a freaking Cruise Ship, there is a LOT to do, and were on vacation, so it didn't really matter anyway. Now instead of a Cruise its a trip to Cedar Point and instead of rain in Cozumel its Maverick being delayed. Get my point?

Wow... 17 pages of posts in a day already. I must admit that this story even got me to post here for the first time in months.

Anywho, I'm glad I didn't make those plans to visit Cedar Point in the end of May. I think I'll go to South Korea instead. After all, they have a Aqua Trax that is fully functional.

You don't drop 20+ million into a project, and then calmfully announce just before media day that the opening has been delayed,

You obviously haven't worked on many 20 million dollar projects.

--Robb

Well, actually, to be fair, the only thing I was guilty of not doing was proofreading my statement before I posted.

Scott "calmfully " B.

Test Track

Mission: Space

Men In Black (while it opened on time was closed a week after it opened when that kid fell out)

IOA's Driving Machines

Rhino Rally (again did open, but was seriously delayed after opening...probably SHOULD have been delayed!!!)

IOA was supposed to have opened it's overhead ride in Seuss Landing (What is now High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride) when the park opened. That was, what? '99? The ride actually opened (as a somewhat different attraction than originally planned) in 2006.

How's that for a delay?

The worst thing about this is that Maverick isn't even a "top tier, world's best" attraction.

It's a fun looking coaster, but is not a major ticket like Millenium or Dragster.

Seems odd that a coaster that really wasn't getting much attention all of a sudden causes an up roar when it's delayed.

Good catch!

On opening day until the ride opens, people will see that they are building and testing a new coaster; anticipation will build and opening in the middle of June will give the coaster a bigger opening.

You all can think of B&M as the grandparents of coasters. They take it easy and are really slow and forceless. Intaride however, is the young hip teenager who loves to take risks and doesn't care if he or she gets hurt because they will do it again with an added seatbelt. Vekoma on the other hand is the redheaded stepchild. No one really cares for them but their rides are sometimes good but overshadowed...

I laugh at all of the people at Pointbuzz. Makes me a bit embarrassed to check out the forums every once in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if a member of their community committed suicide over this.

It would be a shame however if its closed when I visit the park. It was one of the largest reasons I decided to go to Cedar Point this year. God knows when if ever I will go back to the park so it would stink to miss out on this ride. However I wont be the one begging for my money back if its not open

Chiming in -- I, too, am a little disappointed.

I, like some of the other posters, booked late in May, but still in May, to be able to ride Maverick and yet still not have summer-level crowds and heat.

I certainly didn't expect it to be 100% on Day 1, but I don't think it would've been unreasonable to get a *little* more public notice, either. It wouldn't have hurt business for CF much at all if they announced that it would not be ready a few days after reporting Q1 earnings. (That is to say, last month.) Judging from looking at some of the pull-through photos, this difficulty is NOT a new discovery to them.

Will I still go to CP? Of course.

Will I have a good time? Of course.

Could I have had a better time? Probably.

Could I have devoted my travel dollars to another park? Absolutely.

(Since I've already been to CP.)

Will I probably have to go back during Halloweekends? Probably.

I won't deny that Maverick is simply the icing on the cake -- but it was awfully delicious looking icing -- and it's frustrating to be shown the cake, and four days before you were scheduled to eat the cake, have the icing removed.

H

I will only be slightly upset if they remove that heartline roll like there have been talks about doing.

I guess I will cross my fingers and pray for the best, but expect the worst so then there's no surprises. The delay doesn't affect me though. I'm not going to CP this year. Tee hee, Im cooler then the rest of you for doing so.

Although it will be super busy, i'm really glad i booked my CP trip this year on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd of August.

I'm not too bothered if they need to remove the roll, i'm looking foreward to experiencing the airtime that Maverick has on offer.

Also, I'll be at Port Aventura early July, hopefully by then Furius Baco will be open. (Thats now two Intamins that have been delayed since planned my trip this year. Never mind, i still love you Intamin.)

Deano

I'd honestly be disapointed if they decided to ditch the barrel roll. Albeit it being taken at a dangerous speed, it was one of my main draws to the ride. Like other people have mentioned, there IS more than enough room to make it a longer, smoother inversion, and possibly turn it into more of a zero-g?

Either that, or turn that part into a watersplash. Then we'll have a true aquatrax

-Jared

It will be interesting to see whether:

a) the heartline is removed and replaced with something else altogether

I'm going to guess that they will replace it with the loop from Son of Beast.

Ron "Lets take the Cedar Fair coaster shuffle to a whole new level" Patton

edit- Just a thought: If anyone has a right to be upset by this, it has to be Maverick's first biggest fan! How long do will it take for him to modify his model?

I'm stuck with the flight reservations, (Well, I could cancel, but I would lose the $300 or so cost of airfare (per person, with two people going), and that would suck. Anyway, there is alot of other things to do, but I am in a bad mood, because I was really looking forward to riding, and everything seemed to be on track for opening, and CP continued to say that it would be open the 12th, so I felt I was safe going for opening weekend.

Join the club. My friends and I are taking a road trip out to CP in two weeks for our first visit ever. Although I'm not HUGELY broken up about it (nor will my friends), I'm still a little disappointed that I won't get to ride. I thought that by avoiding opening weekend and going the second weekend we might miss any minor glitches in Maverick's opening. Guess it took a bit more than a minor glitch... But we'll have a great time despite it being closed. Lots of other fun stuff to do across two full days in the park. Heck, we were supposed to go last September but ended up cancelling because of a forecast of thunderstorms all weekend. So we would have missed Maverick anyway.

I hope CP is nice about letting me move my hotel reservation to a later date.

They're actually very accommodating, as long as they have availability and you're re-booking rather than cancelling. When we cancelled our trip last September, they were willing to waive the $50 fee if we re-booked for a date this year. We decided not to re-book at that time, it was only $50 split by four people. This year we first booked at Hotel Breakers, but then decided to save money by changing to Lighthouse Point. They gladly changed the reservation (though the first operator I spoke to didn't know how to do it and needed to ask for help).

Oh well. Now I have to find TWO additional new coasters to ride to make Expedition Everest my 150th...

-Rob