TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

3 hours ago, JJLehto said:

I recall SV isn't opening with early access on weekdays? Is this correct? Just to help w planning, I'll try to hit Maverick right at 9 to beat the early access crowds in that case and not even worry about SV. Esp since people will likely just spend the whole hour waiting for it to open.

When I visited on Friday the 21st, I got to the park at 9, waited in line for 20 minutes for my FL+ wristband (they had one person working the register for those 20 minutes. A second worker finally came on after I got mine).  I rode Raptor in the front (walk on), walked to Millennium Force where I waited 20 minutes and was denied as they took off the yellow train then had to evacuate the red train from the brake run.  So, I briskly walked down Frontier Trail and arrived at Maverick at 10:05.  There was no line at all.  So I got on and off in less than 5 minutes.  Went to SV and encountered a 15 minute FL+ wait, which was great.  After riding SV, I thought I’d try Maverick again, but the entire covered queue was filled.  So Between 10 and 12:45, I managed to ride Raptor, Maverick, Steel Vengeance, Antique Cars, Skyhawk, Wave Swinger, Gemini, Lake Erie Eagles, and Cedar Downs.  Not bad for a rather busy day.  

Definitely splurge for FL+ though.  It may not be as great at CP as it is at the other CF parks (Kings Island for instance), but it sure beats waiting in 2+ hour lines all day!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BitterOldHag said:

When I visited on Friday the 21st, I got to the park at 9, waited in line for 20 minutes for my FL+ wristband (they had one person working the register for those 20 minutes. A second worker finally came on after I got mine).  I rode Raptor in the front (walk on), walked to Millennium Force where I waited 20 minutes and was denied as they took off the yellow train then had to evacuate the red train from the brake run.  So, I briskly walked down Frontier Trail and arrived at Maverick at 10:05.  There was no line at all.  So I got on and off in less than 5 minutes.  Went to SV and encountered a 15 minute FL+ wait, which was great.  After riding SV, I thought I’d try Maverick again, but the entire covered queue was filled.  So Between 10 and 12:45, I managed to ride Raptor, Maverick, Steel Vengeance, Antique Cars, Skyhawk, Wave Swinger, Gemini, Lake Erie Eagles, and Cedar Downs.  Not bad for a rather busy day.  

Definitely splurge for FL+ though.  It may not be as great at CP as it is at the other CF parks (Kings Island for instance), but it sure beats waiting in 2+ hour lines all day!  

Oh the FL+ is already purchased lol I did it along with m my Coastermania tix. The thought of CP without hurts me XD Yeah last time I went SV was consistently like 45 mins with FL, Maverick fluctuated but often around 30, but as ya said better than 2+ hours. It's just the nature of the beast. CP is an epic park, people come from all over the country and world (though prob not so much of that right now) and crowds are just a factor to take into it and gotta just do what ya can to mitigate it. Very thankful Coastermania is back, the ERT sessions really ease the pressure of the day, and I think I got a solid plan now for the day! 

What also hit me is Im rolling in the night before, and now that I got the platinum pass I can duck into the park like an hour before close (assuming they allow this) and just pop on a ride or two, get things started early :)

5 hours ago, bert425 said:

very very few would say the reason to stay at Breakers is to get the early access.

but what most all of us WILL say is stay at Breakers for the Convenience - you can walk back to the room to take a break, drop stuff off at the room, get food from the fridge.
the early entry is just an added plus, but certainly not the main reason to stay there.

hell. . the times I've stayed at Breakers, I've done FL+ on top of it anyways.

And NOT having to drive back and forth across the causeway, which can get backed up. Plus a night time stroll back to the room along the boardwalk is awesome

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mike240SX said:

As much as most people here will harp on the "benefits" of staying at Breakers to get early access, if you only have X dollars to spend, you will undoubtedly get more bang for the buck from the FL+ option.

I'm a huge Breakers advocate, but this is true.

Also, if you haven't noticed, there's a reoccuring theme to allot more time for Knoebels. If you don't ride the Scooters, you shouldn't be allowed back in PA. Go to the park with a different mindset outside of strictly searching for "big thrills" and it will be an unforgettable park. 

Yeah Knoebels is deff the better park and if there's one you should think "ride and leave" it's Dorney. Not that Dorney doesn't have some solid rides but eh, and the park itself was always kinda eh. Was always kind of a "ride and bolt" place for me and I will echo what someone else said, I once did all of Dorney, including re-rides, in 2 hours no joke. Now crowds and all may be diff this year but still. 

• Like 1

Stay at Breakers. Enjoy all the perks of it. Including the Surf Lounge. 🍹

And get the FL pass for the day you know will be f-ed up with lines.

(For Bert and myself, it was the Saturday of the 2017 CoasterMANIA! weekend.)

Easy!

29 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

^^^

correct breaking bad GIF

lmao I mean nothing earth shattering from me, I hate to pile on Dorney it's already a meme....but with validity tbh. I also forgot, in the years since I've gone they removed Laser, a great lil ride, so hell now there's even less there! Shame too about that. 

Speaking of Coastermania absolutely no point in thinking about weather this far out, but god cloudy-ish not too hot, little chance of rain. Hope this sticks! 

28 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

lmao I mean nothing earth shattering from me, I hate to pile on Dorney it's already a meme....but with validity tbh. I also forgot, in the years since I've gone they removed Laser, a great lil ride, so hell now there's even less there! Shame too about that. 

Speaking of Coastermania absolutely no point in thinking about weather this far out, but god cloudy-ish not too hot, little chance of rain. Hope this sticks! 

And not much wind.

• Like 1

Just now, clem2754 said:

And not much wind.

Oof for sure! Thankfully that's not been a problem when I go, late May/early June seems like a great time, but yes here's to hoping! Except for TTD when it may be advantageous. Coastermania 2017 I finally got a roll back on TTD when it was cool at night and kinda breezy :D

50 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Oof for sure! Thankfully that's not been a problem when I go, late May/early June seems like a great time, but yes here's to hoping! Except for TTD when it may be advantageous. Coastermania 2017 I finally got a roll back on TTD when it was cool at night and kinda breezy :D

I have yet to get the rollback, but TTD has been 50/50 in terms of running when I have been in the park. I seen plenty rollbacks.

12 hours ago, clem2754 said:

I have yet to get the rollback, but TTD has been 50/50 in terms of running when I have been in the park. I seen plenty rollbacks.

Yeah ridiculous it still runs so hit and miss, I don't think I've even bothered my last couple visits and one time I don't recall it running most of the day. Rollback was fun, it was more the experience of omg it happened!! and since it was all enthusiasts it was wild, hoping for ya!

8 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

Oof. Wind and rain today at the park. 

Cedar Point Park Update:

Due to current weather conditions, Snake River Expedition, and other rides and roller coasters will not open today. Frontier Festival will have limited operation as well.

Oh yeah is it rainy and windy. Just got here. Like 40+ mph gusts. Nuts. So far the only things I saw open were the carousel, Cedar Downs, and some of the circular rides in Kiddy Kingdom. So I just went to Melt to hang out until I can check in to my hotel.

CP wind closures means maybe the employees are used elsewhere.

"Look! We're almost fully staffed on all of our other attractions!"

Nevermind. They'll probably just have them stand around in the stations or have them leave for the day.

16 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

Stay at Breakers. Enjoy all the perks of it. Including the Surf Lounge. 🍹

And get the FL pass

Truth. Indulge. 

Guest Relations says it is extremely unlikely that major rides reopen, even if the weather clears (which it won't).  I saw many employees walking towards the front of the park, presumably to go home for the day, while I was walking to Melt.

Words cannot adequately describe the weather, so here's some videos.

• Sad 2

Thankfully I've got tomorrow (which will likely also get at least partially rained out), Sunday, and Monday here.  If I have to sacrifice a day at Cedar Point Shores so be it.

EDIT:  The park's website is now indicating that they are closed for the day.  Not surprising.  The water next to the causeway road was about 6 inches short of flooding the road.

18 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

Thankfully I've got tomorrow (which will likely also get at least partially rained out), Sunday, and Monday here.  If I have to sacrifice a day at Cedar Point Shores so be it.

EDIT:  The park's website is now indicating that they are closed for the day.  Not surprising.  The water next to the causeway road was about 6 inches short of flooding the road.

Holy crap! Sorry man :(  hope tomm you can salvage something out of it

14 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

Holy crap! Sorry man :(  hope tomm you can salvage something out of it

I'm not that worried.  So long as I can get a few rides on Maverick, Millie, Raptor, and hopefully Dragster this long weekend, I'll be satisfied.  All-season FL+ helps haha.

If tomorrow gets rained out that'll just be more time at Waldameer, which is showing clear weather all tomorrow afternoon.

My hotel just lost power again.  Fun times, and time for a nap since I've been up since 2 AM.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike240SX said:

I'm not that worried.  So long as I can get a few rides on Maverick, Millie, Raptor, and hopefully Dragster this long weekend, I'll be satisfied.  All-season FL+ helps haha.

If tomorrow gets rained out that'll just be more time at Waldameer, which is showing clear weather all tomorrow afternoon.

My hotel just lost power again.  Fun times, and time for a nap since I've been up since 2 AM.

I get it. The season pass really does help things, so much less stress/concern when things don't go well. Still though, hope it improves! 

Ah Waldameer....every year I go to CP I contemplate if I wanna try that park again. I had a brutally rough (and this is from someone who likes a rough ride) and sluggish/meh spin on RFII. Could've been a bad day, but it shook me up so bad (needed to grab advil and just sit for like an hour or two) I was always kinda scared to go out of my way to Erie and try again. Maybe next year (I already got KW planned for this one) 

The pessimist side of me says that really sucks, but the optimist side says...

Shit. I don't have an optimist side.

Hopefully things go better tomorrow. The Thirsty Pony is calling your name.

• Like 1