TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ Talk a about a heroin den - that Rodeway Inn on Sandusky Road is definitely one you want to steer clear of. We made that mistake about eight years ago when we couldn't find any hotels with rooms on the weekend and were just looking for a hotel with a room. While no bed bugs, there were ants in the windowsill of the bathroom, stained carpets and drug deals going on in the parking lots. Nasty!

I stayed there a couple of nights ago and it was indeed a dump. Really filthy with a heavy disinfectant smell used to cover up dog-knows-what. It was comparatively cheap but it's one of just a few places that had me re-evaluating the extra expense of a slightly better room.

The town of Sandusky in general looks like a sh** hole. I knows em when I sees em. Not too far off from the sh** hole I work in, except maybe less visible prostitutes and crack addicts in plain view. Thirsty Pony, although fun and delicious, didn't seem too far off from our empire of bars, each one of them with their little back door, or sometimes bar front, cocaine industry.

But Ain't that America? (John Cougar Mellencamp, anyone?)

^^^A few remarks, in response, or clarification...

- I actually really like Hyatt Place hotels! The couple I have stayed in were both excellent, and a great example of what a non-resort hotel should be like! I often look to stay in one of them if I'm going into a higher price range. I'm not quite sure I understand how exactly you're getting free stays, but it sounds like you're using points from a credit card with a $75 annual fee. In which case, that's great! If I used credit cards, that'd definitely be one to look into.

- As I said, we don't use credit cards, and are a cash only family. As such, all trips require a tremendous amount of pre-planning, and setting aside money in advance, so they can happen. It's a good way for us to live and stay afloat financially, but it does come at a cost, as trips are fewer, and farther between... That's why I live vicariously through all of you here on TPR these days! lol

- Regarding "Ignorance is bliss", I wouldn't presume that our experience is that much different. Yes, as a Police Officer, you've no doubt seen more than I have, quantitatively, and also in the depravity department. However, I've seen quite a bit of the seedier side of life, working as a social worker for the past 18 years, the majority of that in an outreach capacity, that has made me quite familiar with all the darker corners of our rapidly declining city here. I know there's a lot of dreck that goes down in sub-par hotels, and I do try to investigate a place before going.

- My wife is a social worker too, but only part-time, due to the kids, and us wanting to save money on child care. So we're definitely on the low end of lower middle class, and it takes frugality, and plenty of financial gymnastics to get by!

- I agree with you 100% about Breakers Express! For the money, that is a drab, no-frills hotel. I went there once, back in 2003, and haven't been back since.

Regarding Sandusky, it really is a hole! Last time I was there, I went at night to that convenience store/Shell station on Cleveland road, near the causeway. Talk about a shady place! It was definitely a memorable experience! lol. (BTW, if you ever want some cheap, lower than bottom shelf Vodka, and you're down near The Point, they have a small display there, in spite of the fact they're very likely NOT licensed to sell liquor! lol)

I actually really like Hyatt Place hotels!

I really like how some of the big dogs in the hotel game have mid-range, more affordable versions (Hyatt Place, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Holiday Inn Express). They're great values and have a lot of the same high standards

However, I've seen quite a bit of the seedier side of life, working as a social worker for the past 18 years, the majority of that in an outreach capacity, that has made me quite familiar with all the darker corners of our rapidly declining city here.

Ah! You have been in the trenches, then! You definitely have more exposure than most in that field. Emily did on call crisis evaluations for a couple years. She would get called out in the middle of the night and have to go to some of these dangerous and/or disgusting residences, so I know where you're coming from. She used her license to get a job with United Healthcare over this past year, so she's no longer involved in community counseling. It makes me happy knowing she doesn't have to go into the dangerous areas, anymore. As a matter of fact, she starts working from home tomorrow!

As far as the Hyatt Visa card goes, I'm telling you it's something to look into. Total respect for the cash family, as you don't get wrapped up in credit cards. It just sucks you miss out on some of the perks. I'd say literally at least 75% of our non mortgage expenses go through our Hyatt card and you get points for every expense. For eating out and groceries we get double points. A couple years ago we even put most of our kitchen remodel on the card, and if we do something like buy a new car we always put the maximum amount that you can on our card, etc. The trick is to pay it off each and every single month, which is easy to do because we have allotted cushion in our checking account. Since we've had the card for about five years and we've put so much money through it, we're at platinum status. This comes with more perks, like frequent food/beverage vouchers and the occasional suite upgrade just because. We also get a free anniversary stay at any of the properties each year, which we have a range of about 4 months during the warm season to use. It's not an exaggeration to say that each year we probably use well over $1,000 in rooms and perks for $75.00. Not to mention each year we accumulate more and more points that we don't use which roll over to the next year. Not only that, but we get a nice free hot breakfast which usually includes eggs, sausage, and fresh made breakfast sandwiches every morning after a stay. Seriously, we're cashing in on Hyatt... All of this for just using the Hyatt card to spend what we would normally use cash for. As long as it's zero'd out by the end of the month we don't pay a penny in interest, which we never have. They count on everyone to keep a balance and pay interest, but we're the factored in anomaly. We joke that somewhere on the expense report is an itemized list of company overhead cost with our names on it.

As long as you have the fiscal responsibility to PAY THE BALANCE EVERY MONTH, credit cards are the best. Free money and points. SPG had the best card going for awhile, but now that Starwood is getting swallowed by Marriott, I assume the card is going bye-bye too. The IHG card has been OK for me, but the Marriott Visa is (IMO) choice. SPG Amex though is the GOAT travel card.

Also, if you're a Lansing resident, you're somewhat beholden to Delta (even though LAN is getting a lot of American flights), and the AMEX from them with free bags and Zone 1 is a nice pickup.

[also; quickly declining? is that what you call all those cranes and development along Michigan Ave.? OK.]

^I love the IHG card but mostly because they have some properties in great locations and usually at great rates in Orlando where I probably stay 90% of the time on Disney trips. Shout out to the Lake Buena Vista Staybridge Suites and the Orange lakes Resort, I'll see you next weekend.

Seriously, we're cashing in on Hyatt... All of this for just using the Hyatt card to spend what we would normally use cash for. As long as it's zero'd out by the end of the month we don't pay a penny in interest, which we never have. They count on everyone to keep a balance and pay interest, but we're the factored in anomaly. We joke that somewhere on the expense report is an itemized list of company overhead cost with our names on it.

Yeah, that DOES sound like an excellent card! Well, I imagine that when the time is right, we'll go back to lightly using Credit Cards. We used to do so, and for a long time were in the same position as you, working the perks, and making the CC work for us. When all the kids started coming, and then we had two back to back (the second was not planned) right when the economy went south, things got rough for a little while, so we're doing things a little differently now. But I could see us going back to having one card that we pay off every month at some point here. Thanks for the heads up on the Hyatt one!

[also; quickly declining? is that what you call all those cranes and development along Michigan Ave.? OK.]

True, there is a lot of development, and some upside to Lansing too! We're not exactly Flint... However, we do have a upwardly spiraling Homicide and Violent Crimes rate in the city, and South Lansing (where I spend most of my time) continues to get worse by week it seems. That's more what I was referring do with the "declining" comment. On a side note regarding Michigan Ave., if they don't fix that road ASAP, all the shiny new buildings are just lipstick on a pig! Driving on a dirt road would be a massive improvement over the pot-holed mess that masquerades as a road there currently!

Oh, and before this thread of posts is considered off topic by most... CEDAR POINTS IZ THE BESTEZZZZ!!1!1!!!1!!

I'd prefer a log flume to an RMC, but I'm also insane so I'm not really a good gauge of what people actually want. The park desperately needs a flume though.

As much as I miss WWL, and I do like Log Flumes, and it IS something the park could use... It just seems parks are going away from them pretty heavily right now. As our resident flume aficionado, coasterbill, do you recall what, when, and where the last NEW install of a Flume was/is?

FWIW, I've toyed with the notion of fitting a smaller log flume, sort of an homage to Mill Race, back up towards the front of the park where MR was. With the Antique Cars there in Frontier Town, and fitting in nicely there, I could see the removal of Cadillac Cars at some point. I know that alone wouldn't be enough room, but with the removal of that, and a few things around it, I could see a Mill Race "Reborn" fitting in there!

I'd prefer a log flume to an RMC, but I'm also insane so I'm not really a good gauge of what people actually want. The park desperately needs a flume though.

As much as I miss WWL, and I do like Log Flumes, and it IS something the park could use... It just seems parks are going away from them pretty heavily right now. As our resident flume aficionado, coasterbill, do you recall what, when, and where the last NEW install of a Flume was/is?

Log flumes are still opening but it's been awhile since we've had a new one at a major corporate park in America. I'm actually not sure. It might have been Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls but don't quote me on that.

^ Florida again. Yesterday was the flamingo. We need a wall.

What do you mean about needing a wall?

You mean four walls with rooms with bars on them for idiots that break the law? We already have those.

Just a joke. Florida sure seems to get more than its fair share of crazy people doing crazy things headlines. Wall as in a border wall and make Florida pay for it. I am sure some Floridians are very fine people.

Speaking of log flumes... I could see them building a log flume in STR old spot!!

I love log flumes. Just a great peaceful but fun change of pace throughout the day. I was really hoping an upgrade would come to KI as well.

I suppose they are expensive to operate and maintain?

As far as the Hyatt Visa card goes, I'm telling you it's something to look into. Total respect for the cash family, as you don't get wrapped up in credit cards. It just sucks you miss out on some of the perks. I'd say literally at least 75% of our non mortgage expenses go through our Hyatt card and you get points for every expense. For eating out and groceries we get double points. A couple years ago we even put most of our kitchen remodel on the card, and if we do something like buy a new car we always put the maximum amount that you can on our card, etc. The trick is to pay it off each and every single month, which is easy to do because we have allotted cushion in our checking account. Since we've had the card for about five years and we've put so much money through it, we're at platinum status. This comes with more perks, like frequent food/beverage vouchers and the occasional suite upgrade just because. We also get a free anniversary stay at any of the properties each year, which we have a range of about 4 months during the warm season to use. It's not an exaggeration to say that each year we probably use well over $1,000 in rooms and perks for $75.00. Not to mention each year we accumulate more and more points that we don't use which roll over to the next year. Not only that, but we get a nice free hot breakfast which usually includes eggs, sausage, and fresh made breakfast sandwiches every morning after a stay. Seriously, we're cashing in on Hyatt... All of this for just using the Hyatt card to spend what we would normally use cash for. As long as it's zero'd out by the end of the month we don't pay a penny in interest, which we never have. They count on everyone to keep a balance and pay interest, but we're the factored in anomaly. We joke that somewhere on the expense report is an itemized list of company overhead cost with our names on it.

I will have to look into that or if there is one for Hilton Rewards. I have been using my Wells Fargo card to try and use the "bonus cash" to pay on my mortgage principal.

During the past couple of years they have whittled it down to a complete joke so I have been looking to see what else is out there that might offer better perks. This one sounds like it could be worth it as I also pay my balance in full every month and don't pay any interest charges.

It's a pretty decent card. At one point we were looking to jump ship to see what else is out there, but we have so many free nights stacked up that we're reminded why we have this card every time we travel. Some of the front desk clerks have told us that a lot of people who have this card take their vacations 'Hyatt hopping,' where they just go from one city to the next staying at Hyatts for free. We plan on doing this next year starting in the Southwest and ending up in California.

My go-to credit card is the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I highly recommened the card as it gives me 2x point on all travel and dining and 1x point on everything else. The points can transfer to a whole bunch of different airline and hotel partners including IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, United Airlines, British Airways, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Air France KLM at a full 1:1 value. I like how it doesn't tie me into just one airline or hotel chain for redeeming my points.

My sign-up bonus was 50,000 points plus 5,000 more after my authorized user (wife) made one purchase on her card. There is a $95 annual fee that is waved the first year, but I feel that my value far exceeds that rate.

I just entered the credit card points game to help pay for some of these trips that we have planned, like getting pretty much free airfare round trip to Hawaii. I feel that it is a really good starter card for those folks just entering the game like me and a good card to keep due to the transfer partner options. And always pay the bill in full every month! That is, by far, the number one rule!

Send me a PM if you want a referral link for the card.