TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^Given that you're going to be there over multiple days, not to mention, Sunday through Tuesday, I don't think you'd "need" a FL+ at all. If you're very line waiting averse, go to CP rarely, and want multiple re-rides (more than 2 total rides) on the big 4, you may want to consider it. Otherwise, save your money, and just go and take it as it comes is my recommendation!

^Given that you're going to be there over multiple days, not to mention, Sunday through Tuesday, I don't think you'd "need" a FL+ at all. If you're very line waiting averse, go to CP rarely, and want multiple re-rides (more than 2 total rides) on the big 4, you may want to consider it. Otherwise, save your money, and just go and take it as it comes is my recommendation!

I agree with this. But yeah if you want to treat yourself, go for Fastlane plus. You don't need it but it'll be fun to have.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking to head to CP July 17-19. Is it worth it to get FL or FL+ just for the 18th since that will be our only full day there? How crowded will it likely be? We would stay at Breakers so we have early entry. On the days the don't have FL, what order should we go on the rides?

Sorry to be the annoying guy that asks the same question that someone else asks every week, but thank you everyone for the help!

The main uses for FL+ are going to be Valravn and Maverick as those usually had the longest lines. If you want rerides on those, FL+ is your friend.

I haven't been since 2013, so it's been a while. What kind of lines are we looking at for the big 4? 30 min? 2 hours? Not too sure exactly how crowded this place gets during the week in July. When I went in 2013 it was first weekend in June and even MF was only a 5 minute wait. TTD was walk-on. I'm guessing that isn't typical.

^ I would expect 45-60 minutes for MF, Maverick, and TTD. Valravn will be somewhere between 75 and 90 minutes during the day. I don't know if this has been said yet but for the shortest wait on Valravn, RIDE AT THE END OF THE NIGHT! At about 9:30 or quarter till 10, the linew will be no longer than a half hour.

FWIW... On Friday, lines were VERY short. We got to the park in the evening and there was 8 people on each Raptor train, 4 people on Rougarou, MF was near the station, Magnum and Gatekeeper walkon... Crazy for how beautiful the day was, perfect weather! I guess people are preparing for a 4th of July trip (avoid like the plague...)

FWIW... On Friday, lines were VERY short. We got to the park in the evening and there was 8 people on each Raptor train, 4 people on Rougarou, MF was near the station, Magnum and Gatekeeper walkon... Crazy for how beautiful the day was, perfect weather! I guess people are preparing for a 4th of July trip (avoid like the plague...)

Magnum and Gatekeeper were both walk-one the whole time we were there June 15-17. We also never had to wait for Rougarou, Raptor, Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Gemini, Cedar Creek Mine Ride, Wicked Twister, or Corkscrew. Longest wait we had was Valravn, which was 30 minutes the first time and 40 minutes the second. We walked in on Millenium and Dragster once each and other times were about 15 minute waits. Maverick was about 15-25 minute waits when we rode it and we waited about 15 minutes for Iron Dragon (which wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't for the part after the second lift).

It depends on the ride. They should be very manageable, though if you catch Maverick at a truly awful time it could be 45 minutes. Everything else should be 20 minutes or less unless you're waiting for the front on Millennium Force or Dragster. Add a few extra minutes for the front of Gatekeeper but not many.

PS: If they have early entry I highly suggest spending that time at Maverick due to the wait time it'll get later.

Edited by coasterbill

I would also add, that if you're going on the weekend of the 4th, you'll likely want to purchase your Fastlane+ in advance, since they will sell out fast, if they haven't already.

Not that I'm advocating using Fastlane... Or going to CP on July 4th weekend...

Does anybody know when the local schools are back in session? I was thinking about planning a trip the weekend of August 26th and wanted to get some input on the expected crowd levels. But if kids were back in school at that time, I was also contemplating if it would be better to attend during the last few weekdays of August. Thoughts please?

Schools should be in session by then. I went last year from the 18th thru the 22nd. It was the last week of daily operations until 10pm. Most ohio schools are back in session by then. It was the perfect time to go as the park was very quiet during the week, and I got many night rides on the coasters. It was the perfect time to go. The weekend however, sheesh was it packed.

Fine by me. CP is known for having good operations so VR shouldn't be as much of an issue as with Six Flags, and even if it did cause a SF type issue, it's Corkscrew which sucks anyway, and might be improved with the VR. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Oh yeah you're right. Didn't look carefully. But yeah my point still stands. One of the lower-tier rides at the park, and could be improved more than Corkscrew with the VR, because unlike Corkscrew it doesn't hurt and it's longer. So it's actually a better candidate than Corkscrew.

Oh yeah you're right. Didn't look carefully. But yeah my point still stands. One of the lower-tier rides at the park, and could be improved more than Corkscrew with the VR, because unlike Corkscrew it doesn't hurt and it's longer. So it's actually a better candidate than Corkscrew.

I think it would be a terrible idea to put it on Corkscrew (Or other notoriously rough coasters) because you wouldn't be able to see what's coming and brace for it.

It's a great fit for Iron Dragon. I probably won't wear it much because I think VR is stupid and I actually enjoy Iron Dragon as-is but putting it on a lower tier coaster makes so much more sense than what Six Flags is doing. Plus I'm sure Cedar Point will find a way to make it a much more efficient loading process.

It's a great fit for Iron Dragon. I probably won't wear it much because I think VR is stupid and I actually enjoy Iron Dragon as-is but putting it on a lower tier coaster makes so much more sense than what Six Flags is doing. Plus I'm sure Cedar Point will find a way to make it a much more efficient loading process.

This 10000x.... Six Flags needs to learn something from Cedar Fair

This 10000x.... Six Flags needs to learn something from Cedar Fair

You're all missing the thread that ties these together. You're stuck in the categories of looping, family, etc. And that's not how Six Flags sees things at all. There are two categories of coasters they've put VR on:

Coasters themed to Superman get the Superman VR

Coasters that are underperforming get the New Revolution VR

The logic behind the Superman VR is all about maximizing the potential of the IP. They don't care what the coaster is or what it does; they're just tapping the brand.

By underperforming, I mean in the business sense, as in an asset that has the potential for a certain amount of revenue but is actually bringing in less than desired. BTW, that's the same logic that Cedar Fair used when they identified their growth markets. It doesn't mean markets where they'll rapidly expand; it means markets where the revenue potential is much higher than the actual revenue.

There's your business lesson for the day. Now back to your regularly scheduled argument, already in progress.