TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

You mean May 21st? The ride hadn't opened to the public yet; it opened to the Media in the morning and from 6-10 there was the KROQ night (when X2 was empty).

Right. But you weren't there for "Media Day", you were there for the KROQ event. You were implying that the KROQ event, which you attended, was the same as "Media Day." Joey was just correcting you when you said "...at Terminator's Media Day (KROQ Night) the ride had an empty station..." as Media Day and the KROQ event were two totally seperate events.

--Robb

Today I took a very unplanned, last minute trip out to SFMM. Here's the scoop:

One-train operation on X2 kept the line at two hours (so said an employee), so I didn't ride it.

Revolution was a walk-on for the back seat with two-train operation.

Viper ran two-trains and I waited about two trains for the back seat.

Tatsu was about 15 minutes with two-train operation.

Terminator was about an hour with one train running.

Scream! ran two trains, so I waited about five minutes.

Goliath was running two trains, so I waited about 15 minutes for the front seat.

Riddler's Revenge ran two trains, and I waited about 15 minutes for the very back row.

No more progress on Mr. Six's Dance Coaster, but I don't expect anything too soon. That should go up quickly.

Batman, Deja Vu, Ninja, and Superman were closed. Gold Rusher was running two trains, but I skipped it. Ditto for Colossus.

So there ya go.

Eric

You mean May 21st? The ride hadn't opened to the public yet; it opened to the Media in the morning and from 6-10 there was the KROQ night (when X2 was empty).

Right. But you weren't there for "Media Day", you were there for the KROQ event. You were implying that the KROQ event, which you attended, was the same as "Media Day." Joey was just correcting you when you said "...at Terminator's Media Day (KROQ Night) the ride had an empty station..." as Media Day and the KROQ event were two totally seperate events.

--Robb

Yeah, what I basically meant was that it was the same day.

One-train operation on X2 kept the line at two hours (so said an employee), so I didn't ride it.

Terminator was about an hour with one train running.

The park's two main attractions running one train?

^^ I thought the same thing, but during the off-season (which technically it is), I am never surprised that they're doing maintenance or rehab to any equipment. On that note, I did notice that the sound was goofed up on Terminator's train. They were running Train 1, and just as we were passing through the storage shed after the last brake, we heard, "HERE THEY COME!!!" just as if we were topping the lift. So something wasn't right somewhere.

Eric

Here's my trip report today -

Went to the park. I arrived just before opening. Stayed from 10:30 AM to 3:15 PM

Season pass books are still not in.

Decided today would be the first time I go to X2 first. It was a joke. 1 train in operation as EBL pointed out. The ride opening was delayed. I must have waited 25-40 minutes to the point where I got to finally ride X2 (didn't take notice of time). In the same amount of time I could have ridden Deja Vu and Terminator on my way down to Goldrusher and Riddler's during the summer. That's my reason to not listen to people who tell you going to X2 first then Tatsu is ideal... because THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE DOES.

Never will I ride first X2 again. So many people go to this ride first, it's hilarious. The line was extremely long, probably a hour 30 wait by 11 (because of this one train operation).

Anyways,

Rode every worthy roller coaster once aside from Deja Vu, Ninja, Batman, and Superman (which were of course, closed).

Waited about 40 minutes for Terminator. Riddler's - 2 train wait. Scream - no wait. Goliath - no wait. Tatsu - 30 minute wait.

I went last weekend Terminator and X2 were running two trains.

^I went to X2 first one time, waited like an hour before the ride ACTUALLY opened.

And a quick question. When I went last weekend, my brother got his souvineer bottle and they said they weren't doing the wristbands anymore, is that true? I find it kinda weird that we went in January and they gave me one...

This has probably been mentioned millions of times but I still wonder..

Is it best to catch X2 with a shorter line in the morning? Afternoon? or Night?

I want to take a guess and say afternoon. What have people experienced/learned before?

I've also had that "run to X2 first, only to wait an extra hour for the ride to open." experience before.

I want to take a guess and say afternoon. What have people experienced/learned before?

I've also had that "run to X2 first, only to wait an extra hour for the ride to open." experience before.

Night. I've been where 2 hours in the morning 1 and 30 minutes afternoon and 15 minutes at night. So I always go for Terminator first which I always walk right on.

Andrew "Because X2 and Tatsu are good diversions" Iorio

I don't know what to tell you; everyone has a different opinion on the subject.

I have never had any trouble running to X2 right when the park opens. You get to the ride, wait a couple minutes for it to finish testing and get on the ride. As said on this page, there are times when X2 doesn't open with the park...but I have found that even if you have to wait 30 minutes to an hour to get on, it's still a lot better that what the line is in the afternoon/most of the day, plus you don't really have to wait in the afternoon heat. I would suggest getting to the park at opening, running to X2, and if it is broken down and won't open for a while, then if you want go to Tatsu/Deja Vu/Terminator. You still won't be far behind "the crowd". The reason I say this is to at least give it a chance, because I find running to another ride at park opening pointless because no line usually gets any longer than X2 at any time of the day. If you wait until closing or the evening, X2's line can sometimes be surprisingly short, but opening has still always worked best for me.

Edited by CreditCrazy

I have had walk ons on X2 on school days and a few Sundays in December and January. On Season Pass Appreciation Day, 9/11/09, I got on X2 14 times total including 10 times in the first hour I was there.

I have found that riding X2 first usually works best but only if you are in line at the park entrance before they open. Today I got to the entrance plaza about 10 minutes after opening and it did not work. I have found that to be pretty common too.

I was at the park today too. First the big news. Terminator is now included on the Regular Q-bot. It is no longer a pay extra ride on Gold only. This was a big shock when I walked passed the Flash Pass building and saw Terminator on the ride list and a large part of the reason I got a Regular bot today. A ride-op which I have started to talk to told me that this just started and was done because the lines have not been as long as they expected.

Value books will be available next weekend. I walked up to the Processing Center with my pass in my hand. The girl outside saw my pass and said "I already know why you're here." Then told me that they would have them next weekend.

The guy at the toll booth recognized me when I drove up and asked me how many time I have been there recently. I told him I have been coming about once a month for a few years. This is the 5th employee who has recognized me in my last two visits and before that it had never happened before. I guess I really do go there a lot.

Employees were very friendly. Just about everyone I saw smiled back and told me to have a great day if I had any reason to talk to them. Ride ops were clapping high-fiving on just about every coaster I rode. I was wearing my Tatsu t-shirt and a ride op on Tatsu said "that's a great shirt" when I walked by in the queue. A little girl told a ride op on Revolution that today was her birthday and the ride op sang Happy Birthday to her on the microphone.

I got on 26 total rides. Eric already posted the ride closures and I skipped X2 today for the same reason he did. I walked over there at 10:40am and the entire queue was already filled. It stayed that way every time I checked it from Viper's lift hill.

Here are my totals.

Revolution: 4. All walk ons.

Viper: 4. 3-4 train wait twice and two walk ons.

Tatsu: 3. 10 minute wait for first ride of the day at 10:45. Used Q-bot twice later when it had a one hour wait.

Terminator: 4. 20 min wait, 45 min wait. Used Q-bot twice later when it had a 60-90 min wait.

Riddler's Revenge: 2. 10 min wait both times. Tried to ride it again later but it was broke down.

Gold Rusher: 2. Walk ons.

Scream: 2. Two train wait both times.

Colossus: 2. Both walk ons when I rode it right after Scream. I tried to ride it before Scream but it broke down. About 15 minutes later is was open again.

Goliath: 2. Waited 15 mins and made a reservation at the same time. After the first ride my reservation was ready so I went thru the Flash Pass entrance without exiting thru the normal exit and rode again with a 3 train wait.

Jet Stream: 1. Walk on.

I thought the ride operators were friendly. I gave a lot of high-fives as well and I noticed most were clapping.

Rode Revolution once and got banged up the side of the head. Damn the OTSRs.

Some kid was not tall enough to ride Goldrusher and some people were getting angry at the ride operator, even though he was only doing his job and all. The kid started crying. I remember that feeling like when I wasn't tall enough to ride Riddlers Revenge, Batman, Superman, Viper, etc back in 1998 when I first visited Magic Mountain.

I always give the high five back to them too. Those OTSRs need to go. I hate them too. Question for anyone who knows about the technical stuff more than I do. Is there any reason why they can't use a lap bar and a seat belt, like on Montezooma's Revenge, if they feel that a lap bar alone is not enough?

Also, I forgot one thing in my TR. The first time I rode Terminator somebody on the ride threw some pennys at the ride op on the controls when the train went thru the station fly thru. The ride op called security. I don't know what happened after that but I hope the person was ejected. One of the penny's hit the guy in back of me in line and missed me by inches. About 10 minutes later I saw 4 L.A. County Sheriffs walking toward that section of the park. I don't know if this is related to what happened on Terminator.

Honestly, they probably would have, weren't really paying much attention, but she doesn't even realize everyone calls her that so this will be much better for the Baby Book!

I wondered whether or not you called her KidTums or even KT. I can't beleive how much she still looks like my niece. Seeing her Season Pass reminds me of when my niece went to CP she got a T-shirt that said "I survived the Horsey Ride at Cedar Point-" or it might have been Kennywood.

Do all of the major parks have their own discussion threads? I should probably know that by now since I've been around almost five years...

Do all of the major parks have their own discussion threads? I should probably know that by now since I've been around almost five years...

Many parks do, and we are working on making discussion threads for those that do not.

One other thing I meant to post in my TR. When I bought the Q-bot they had me fill out a form with my name and e-mail address so they could send me Flash Pass offers and information. This was the first time they've had me do that and I've bought a Q-bot five other times. I wonder if I will be getting some promotions or discounts eventually.

That's awesome, a 3-year-old has a Six Flags pass before me!

Did anyone ever find out if the height requirement for the new family coaster at MM really is incongruous with other rides of the type?