TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From the LA Times Travel Blog. Info is also under entertainment on the Six Flags website:

Six Flags Magic Mountain will add three new mazes and a new scare zone for Fright Fest 2009.

The Valencia amusement park will also bring back some traditional Halloween treats, including coasters in the dark, a Mr. Six dance party and my all-time favorite: Colossus backwards.

Highlights of Fright Fest 2009 at Six Flags Magic Mountain:

Haunted mazes

* Bite (new for 2009) — A haven of the sexy and sinister undead (Gotham City Backlot)

* Lector’s Slaughterhouse (new for 2009) — A celebrity butcher exacts revenge (Gotham City Backlot)

* Escape of the Zombies (new for 2009) — A dumping ground of twisted creations and failed experiments (Tidal Wave queue)

* Willoughby’s Haunted Mansion — A haunted house of terror and dread (Samurai Summit near the Ninja coaster)

* Jokester’s Hideout 3-D — Sideshow clowns run amok (former Flashback coaster location)

* Warehouse 13 — An inescapable toxic warehouse (Logjammer queue)

Scare zones

* Aftermath Alley (new for 2009) — A post-apocalyptic world of the undead (near the Terminator Salvation coaster)

* City Sieze — Comic characters escaped from the insane asylum (Gotham City Backlot)

* Exile Hill — The dead haunt the grounds of Willoughby Estate (Samurai Summit)

Shows

* Mr. Six Spooktacular Dance Party (throughout the park)

* Heckles and Twitch Show — Dark humor from the offbeat and irreverent clown duo (Gotham City Backlot)

* gRave — DJ dance party (Gotham City Backlot)

* Dead & Local – Local bands live on stage (Carousel Bandstand near the fountain)

Rides

* Colossus backwards — A Fright Fest tradition on the stalwart wooden coaster

* Coasters in the dark — Terminator Salvation, X2, Tatsu, Batman, Viper, Riddler’s Revenge and Goliath with the lights out

* Scream on Scream — Howls and shrieks pumped in via speakers on the floorless roller coaster

* Thumper Bumpers — Rock music and disco lighting on the Sandblasters bumper cars

I wonder if Bite and Slaughterhouse will both be in the Brutal Planet building? Hey, they are almost offering as many new mazes as Knott's.

Cool! It sounds like Magic Mountain should have a pretty decent event this year and I have season passes so I'll have to go check it out. I haven't been to the Fright Fest for a few years now.

I've always wondered how easy it would be to change the audio on X2 and Terminator. It would be cool if they could put a new track on for Fright Fest, or just in general (IMO the Terminator one isn't the greatest).

I wonder if Bite and Slaughterhouse will both be in the Brutal Planet building? Hey, they are almost offering as many new mazes as Knott's.

Yes, both mazes reside in the warehouse used for Brutal Planet in past years.

This was the "more information will be released shorty" I was waiting for. Both mazes are taking shape nicely.

...and yours truly will be a Walk-around clown in Gotham City Backlot this year.

I like row 7 better because the rotations happen at a smoother rate than the front. In the front the rotations are slower and in my opinion more awkward. And last raven turn is rough in any row. I always tell people that once you crest the turn to just put your head back till you hit the brakes and you are good. Always worked for me.

And you HAVE to learn how to ride Revo. Especially when you have ear piercings.

This is kind of off the current topic but why on the sixflags.com out of all the u.s. parks, magic mountian is the only park which the 2010 season pass is not available for purchase yet. I mean normally if a couple of parks started selling them earlier than others is no suprise and the others follow closely behind. But why is magic mountain the ONLY u.s. park not selling it yet.

I had just come up with a weird prediction, could six flags possibly sell the for this coming year and don't plan to give out six flags season passes for a park that may not be a six flags park. Just a werid thought i had.

This is kind of off the current topic but why on the sixflags.com out of all the u.s. parks, magic mountian is the only park which the 2010 season pass is not available for purchase yet. I mean normally if a couple of parks started selling them earlier than others is no suprise and the others follow closely behind. But why is magic mountain the ONLY u.s. park not selling it yet.

I had just come up with a weird prediction, could six flags possibly sell the for this coming year and don't plan to give out six flags season passes for a park that may not be a six flags park. Just a werid thought i had.

Well let me be the first to clear this up....

SIX FLAGS DOES NOT INTEND TO NOR WILL NOT SELL SIX FLAGS MAGIC MOUNTAIN

Indeed they did consider it when Mark Shapiro took over, but as of now he has no intentions of selling it. SFMM just got a brand new wooden coaster and is expected to get a new coaster as well sometime next year. The Hurricane Harbor location next to SFMM is also getting a new slide.

Shapiro himself said the park was profitable. Plus its the best contender against Cedar Point for Most Roller Coasters record, which is not something they necessarily need but certainly would like to have. So Six Flags wont sell it, there is no reason why Six Flags would.

As for the 2010 season passes, they are on sale, its just not advertised online unlike the "Buy Your Ticket Online for Just 54.99" deal.

I have a feeling that SFMM is not advertising their Season Passes because while most other SF parks are closed, ours is open all year. They are still trying to get people to buy a 2009 season pass for dirt cheap before they start offering the 2010 pass, I'm sure.

As for the "E" ticket attraction, it was a term used at Disneyland when it first opened. The park was not a Pay One Price park like most are today. You received a ticket book with various tickets in it, A representing more tame rides, and E being the best attractions.

From Wikipedia, the world leader in super accurate information: From Disneyland's opening day until 1982, the price of the attractions was in addition to the price of park admission.[25] Park-goers paid a small admission fee to get into the park, but admission to most of the rides and attractions required guests to purchase a book of tickets that consisted of several coupons, initially labeled "A" through "C". The coupons were also sold individually. "A" coupons allowed admission to the smaller rides and attractions such as the vehicles on Main Street, whereas "C" coupons were used for the most common attractions like the Peter Pan ride, or the Tea Cups. As more thrilling rides were introduced, such as the Monorail or the Matterhorn bobsled, "D" and then eventually "E" coupons were introduced. Coupons could be combined to equal the equivalent of another ticket (e.g. two "A" tickets equal one "B" ticket). From the thrill ride experience at Disneyland, the colloquial expression "an E ticket ride" is used to describe any exceptionally thrilling experience.

Chris.

SFMM is also the ONLY park in the US That is consistently open year round and only sells Season passes. This is excluding the "fun cards" Busch and Universal Studios Hollywood sell since they offer full annual passes as well. The difference being the season ends at the end of the park's operating schedule for in any given year (Only good until the end of 2009 in this case for SFMM) as opposed to Annual passes which are good one year from date of purchase.

My guess is SFMM feels they can hold out longer to sell the passes as they don't have to worry about the park being closed early in the season for people to take advantage of purchasing the passes early.

^^ In all of my 15 years as a SFMM season passholder, I've never received a renewal notice/new ride info till after Fright Fest, so my guess is that all of that should go out sometime in November.

^ As far as I know, no one has confirmed where the 2010 attraction is supposed to go. Also, we don't know what the area where Flashback once stood will be used for. A Hurricane Harbor expansion makes sense, but who knows?

Remember that Freefall's demise cleared up some space, and I've heard some rumblings about Tidal Wave being removed. But again, those are just rumors. And Wiggles World is supposed to come to the Mountain sometime in the next couple of years.

Eric

I thought a Hurricane Harbor expansion was going in where Flashback was? When I went Saturday a lot of people were going on Tidal Wave which was quite surprising. Yet I do hope Tidal Wave will be torn down, since you only get wet when you stand on the bridge. And I have a feeling that they will announce the new ride soon. Come on Mega-lite! Also I noticed when I was there Saturday was when I was on Superman, it went to the very top. I could see Superman's facial features. And then that night the brakes failed or the computer reset when coming back into the station. We went through at almost full speed and hit the brakes behind the station. It was awesome! So now I have been on two rides that have broken down when I was on them.

EDIT: Yay 900 pages!!!

Remember that Freefall's demise cleared up some space, and I've heard some rumblings about Tidal Wave being removed. But again, those are just rumors. And Wiggles World is supposed to come to the Mountain sometime in the next couple of years.

Eric

To my understanding, Wiggles World will arrive in 2011 as part of the company's big anniversary year, and will occupy Freefall's and Tidal Wave's area.

But only Mr. Jay Thomas knows about what'll be coming next year and in 2011, and hopefully he wont keep us waiting too long!

I know a lot of people are saying that the lack of freefall cleared up some space, but come on. Really? It's a tiny little plot of land, and furthermore, doesn't anybody remember that RR literally went OVER the ride? It would take some mean custom fitting to get something else to go there. I know that it is a possibility, but there are many other, larger, pieces of land to work with.

Chris.

^Yeah I agree with you, Freefall didn't clear hardly any space. But if they took out Tidal Wave and used Batman's extended queue (I hope they don't it's actually very nice) it would be a decent plot of land for a medium sized coaster. But again, this same area was the rumored place for Terminator as well as other attractions I'm sure.

Personally I'd rather see the park take out Cyclone 500 and put something else there, but that's just me.

This is maybe the one time since I've really been following Magic Mountain where I really don't have a clue as to where a good place for a coaster would be. It seems like there was always at least one obvious spot where a coaster could go but now it's more of a mystery. It just adds to the suspense!

^You may agree with it, but it is an up charge attraction so SFMM probably makes a decent amount of money off of it.

Also, Goliath and Colossus are pretty much right next to each other, hell The support structure for Goliath's first turn around sits inside Colossus's first turn around

It would make sense to use Flashbacks previously occupied land for Hurricane Harbor expansion if said is the case.

I also think they should get rid of Tidal Wave. The ride is pointless. Might as well add some of those water thingys they added with Thomas Town..that's much more effective than Tidal Wave...

There's not a lot of space in between Goliath and Colossus, but I think if they were super ambitious, they could build something below Goliath. What you think? JK

I also think they should build a ride above Colossus if they're really constrained by lack of space. JK 2

Ok, so, coasters have breakdowns. They're machines with many moving parts. Breakdowns are inevitable. I'm not sure why this is an issue.

Also Tidal Wave remains a fairly popular way to cool off on a hot day. It's no more pointless than any other big splashy ride which are found at just about every major park.