TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Regarding X2 . . . . what's the longest wait in line you've had for it?

I had asked this on a YouTube POV clip of the ride and one of the responses I got was "between 2 and 3 hours"

It's down to one train for the time being. That means 60-90 min on light days and 150-240 on busy days.

I've heard it got up to five hours when it was brand new and still just x.

That is correct. With all the downtime and the line all the way down the hill by Revolution. Fun times for those working!

thanks for the answers all,by the way:) A lot of interesting answers. It seems a lot of people do still prefer CP to MM. However I still would like to go one day hopefully. I want to go to SFGAdv one day too. I want to go on I-305 and Fury too however not sure id want to go all the way out to those places just for one flagship coaster in each of the parks. Sigh...sometimes i wish i had tons of money so i can travel around the country to go to all the awesome parks! lol.

Although I prefer CP over MM, I genuinely enjoy both (and have CF & SF annual passes). Both parks have their unique selections of enjoyable thrill rides. What CP has over MM is location (the views of Lake Eerie), cleanliness and landscaping. The theme of the parking lot ride (Scream) is certainly unique

^^^^

25 years ago, waiting 4 hours in line, meant standing there, very very bored. Now a decent indication of a line is PokeStops lit up with lures Yes, I now catch Pokemon to pass the time. Unless I'm with someone, then it's just fun to visit with the person/people.

Regarding X2 . . . . what's the longest wait in line you've had for it?

I had asked this on a YouTube POV clip of the ride and one of the responses I got was "between 2 and 3 hours"

I recall waiting about 3 hours. Was there with the girlfriend and the parents.

This was before the cell phone epidemic, and honestly spending that much time together wasn't that bad, and after we got off the ride it was definitely worth it.

Hey, can anybody give me a price estimate for the following:

-2 adult plane tickets, roundtrip, Boston - LA

-2 day tickets to MM

-Flash Pass for both days

-Beverage bottle

-Hotel

-Car Rental

A lot of this is going to depend on exactly when you go, but it can be done for significantly less than $3,000. Look into Spirit. I flew them from MCI-LAX for $340 round trip. Looking into itineraries BOS-LAX, it looks like you can get it for around $400pp round trip. Also, don't get 2 day tickets to Magic Mountain; go get a season pass to SFNE for around $65pp; it's good at all Six Flags, including Magic Mountain, and includes parking too. Flash Pass is expensive, and no way to make that cheaper, but yeah, you're going to want it. As for hotels, Knott's Berry Farm Hotel is one of the best deals in LA. They're reasonably priced at around $120 or so per night, and they have all the major amenities. Depending on who you're going with, you may look at hostelling. There are hostels for around $30 per bed per night. That's what I did, and if all you want is a place to crash, then no sense in paying for stuff you're not going to use. As for car rental, it's cheap. I rented a compact from Alamo for 5 days for around $75.

So here's your breakdown:

Flight - $800

Six Flags season pass - $130

Gold Flash Pass - $360

Beverage bottle - $25

Hotel (3 nights) - $360 (or hostel for $180)

Car rental - $50

Total - $1725.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

^Yah, I'm surprised the original guy didn't understand it, but obviously the original "cost analysis" post was a joke.

Who can't value up the cost for a trip on their own these days? Probably takes 20 minutes but come on.

And furthermore, who puts cents on an estimated cost LOL!

^ Yeah, it was clearly a joke, but I didn't want this guy to be put off from going because of it. I find pricing out trips to be fun anyway. Although if I were doing it for myself, it'd be two days at Disneyland. Same price, way better experience.

Thanks. Also wanted opinions from experts

^ Yeah, it was clearly a joke, but I didn't want this guy to be put off from going because of it. I find pricing out trips to be fun anyway. Although if I were doing it for myself, it'd be two days at Disneyland. Same price, way better experience.

Thanks. Also wanted opinions from experts

Of course! I just did an LA trip including Magic Mountain a couple of months ago, so this is still pretty fresh in my mind. Have fun!

Hey, can anybody give me a price estimate for the following:

-2 adult plane tickets, roundtrip, Boston - LA

-2 day tickets to MM

-Flash Pass for both days

-Beverage bottle

-Hotel

-Car Rental

A lot of this is going to depend on exactly when you go, but it can be done for significantly less than $3,000. Look into Spirit. I flew them from MCI-LAX for $340 round trip. Looking into itineraries BOS-LAX, it looks like you can get it for around $400pp round trip. Also, don't get 2 day tickets to Magic Mountain; go get a season pass to SFNE for around $65pp; it's good at all Six Flags, including Magic Mountain, and includes parking too. Flash Pass is expensive, and no way to make that cheaper, but yeah, you're going to want it. As for hotels, Knott's Berry Farm Hotel is one of the best deals in LA. They're reasonably priced at around $120 or so per night, and they have all the major amenities. Depending on who you're going with, you may look at hostelling. There are hostels for around $30 per bed per night. That's what I did, and if all you want is a place to crash, then no sense in paying for stuff you're not going to use. As for car rental, it's cheap. I rented a compact from Alamo for 5 days for around $75.

So here's your breakdown:

Flight - $800

Six Flags season pass - $130

Gold Flash Pass - $360

Beverage bottle - $25

Hotel (3 nights) - $360 (or hostel for $180)

Car rental - $50

Total - $1725.

Would not really recommend staying at Knott's Berry to 2 spend 2 days at MM. They are on complete other sides of LA metro area, it's about a 70 mile trek with nightmare LA traffic. There's decent places to stay out near Valencia or in Santa Clarita.

We apparently have very different ideas of nightmares. LA is one of the easiest cities to get around by car of any I've been to. Sure, there are a lot of cars, but for the most part everyone knows where they're going and pays attention. I'll take it over Dallas, Boston, D.C., or Chicago. The latter three are pretty much "use transit or you're screwed"--while Dallas is simply "You're screwed."

Anyway, KBF Hotel was on my short list, but I also wasn't planning to visit only MM, and I wanted a good central location. I'm sure there are some good ones up Santa Clarita way that are similar in quality and price.

We apparently have very different ideas of nightmares. LA is one of the easiest cities to get around by car of any I've been to. Sure, there are a lot of cars, but for the most part everyone knows where they're going and pays attention. I'll take it over Dallas, Boston, D.C., or Chicago. The latter three are pretty much "use transit or you're screwed"--while Dallas is simply "You're screwed."

Anyway, KBF Hotel was on my short list, but I also wasn't planning to visit only MM, and I wanted a good central location. I'm sure there are some good ones up Santa Clarita way that are similar in quality and price.

LA Traffic is a nightmare, that is a known and proven fact. People may know where they are going but you can't get there for 3 or 4 hours on what is a 10 mile drive.

No, that's an opinion, not a fact. Opinions cannot ever be proven. And we can talk peak times and peak directions too, which obviously make a huge difference. But to bring this back to what's relevant, anyone going to Magic Mountain will be going away from LA in the morning and back toward it in the evening. Traffic won't be a concern. Give yourself 2 hours to get there, and you're good.

I'm just going to put this here:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/03/15/study-l-a-has-worst-traffic-in-america/

Regardless, it is possible to make it from Knott's to Magic Mountain in under two hours, not including any extra time for an unpredictable traffic jam. (Like from an accident)

Of course, if Magic Mountain is the focus of the trip, it would just be easier (And possibly cheaper) to stay closer to Valencia.

Give yourself 2 hours to get there, and you're good.

To be fair, the parks are 60 miles apart and all but about 2 miles of the trip is spent on the same interstate highway. Suggesting that you should give yourself 2 hours to go less than 60 miles on an interstate highway (which in any normal area would be about a 50-60 minute trip) is kind of proving the point that traffic in LA is miserable.

While everyone has had different experiences and my experience driving in the LA area is limited, I do consider the area around the 5 and 405 merge around Mission Hills to be the 7th layer of hell. As an example... right now, in the middle of the afternoon when traffic in any normal city would be light, this is what you're dealing with. This map is just about every color of the rainbow at this point (though red seems to be a theme )

lol.thumb.jpg.745c8dfffff47866319f57712d1d1681.jpg

LA traffic is hell, and it's hard to take anyone seriously who says otherwise. I mean... I don't know if it's the worst traffic area in America. There are some other contenders like the ones you mentioned, I-95 in Virginia near the Washington DC area and basically every road on Long Island (but especially the Cross Island... f**k the Cross Island) but it's certainly in the conversation.