TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Thanks for the video update Robb! And thanks again to Jay and team for the RESTORATION of what was (an now, will be again) an amazing place to have a great time.

.. and that's exactly what this 2008 Season has become: a full-fledged restoration. Jeez, they're only 5 or so improvements away from entering RENAISSANCE status! :o)

-Sam @ San Diego

Does anyone else dislike those sayings on the trash bens and T-shirts? Please keep the park clean because MY family comes here too!

It has been discussed here before, but I for one really like the idea, it shows management cares about the cleanliness of the park. I think everything like this is a step in the right direction.

John

I'm mostly looking forward to the theming, detail and story to X2 and Thomas Town. Capacity is EXTREMELY important, and schould come first, I just think that If guests are in a cool environment, they wont mind the extra minutes or even seconds of waiting. It's not about the ride its self, its about the overall experience. I dont want to seem like a killjoy or anything though.

What exactly does "stacking" mean? Which article does it talk about X2 and the flame throwers?

Stacking:

When a (sometimes long) line of trains is waiting to be unloaded, which doesn't help capacity. (Pic credit to DerekRx)

Article on X2's fire effects:

travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1803

More pics and info at:

www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.htm

Just scroll down.

I was driving old road home from my girlfriend's and they are cycling X (like at 3:00 am). I stopped to watch it, they're running 2 trains, one with some water dummies. It's really fast but I think that's a testing mode. Beautiful to watch.

I like the cans and shirts. Let's face it SFMM (until recently) was a mess.No one wants to go to a park that's a mess. I wish they would get on people for using profanity. It's really bad. I know that's a tough thing to govern but if you want families there.... it's a must to keep on that. I'm with all you guys. I have always been a Disneyland and Knott's guy. I live 25min from SFMM and I just started going this year. They have worked their asses off and they are getting my money now. I'm very proud of the management.

I was driving old road home from my girlfriend's and they are cycling X (like at 3:00 am). I stopped to watch it, they're running 2 trains, one with some water dummies. It's really fast but I think that's a testing mode. Beautiful to watch.

What do you mean by it's really fast?? Was the lift fast or the trains were running the course fast? Or were the dispatch intervals really quick?

John

Trains were dispatching without the load/unload delay, that's a testing feature i'm sure. The lift was pretty damned fast but it's hard to compare to riding it and seeing it from a distance, but the lift didn't slow down at the top so I'm assuming it's the famous testing mode to keep it from valleying accidentally. Since it cleared the lift without the slowdown at the top it hit the course elements pretty hard. The two trains appeared to take the course differently so weight sure makes a noticeable difference. Also they had single point lights on the lift instead of the old yellow tubes so it was pretty. Like ninja lift lights instead of goliath lift lights. Couldn't see the station, but a friend told me of some red glow the other night.

On a skeptical note, i'm fairly certain at this point we're just going to settle for reopening with new trains which is no mean feat (KUDOS TO THE MECHANICS! you guys rock). But the marketing department will have to really answer for it's bluster and prove all these claims of tunnels, audio (please not like rockin scream, it's not noticeable on the ride), and fire. Like I said, skeptical, but not cynical. I'll be patient. Three weeks.

Trains were dispatching without the load/unload delay, that's a testing feature i'm sure. The lift was pretty damned fast but it's hard to compare to riding it and seeing it from a distance, but the lift didn't slow down at the top so I'm assuming it's the famous testing mode to keep it from valleying accidentally. Since it cleared the lift without the slowdown at the top it hit the course elements pretty hard. The two trains appeared to take the course differently so weight sure makes a noticeable difference. Also they had single point lights on the lift instead of the old yellow tubes so it was pretty. Like ninja lift lights instead of goliath lift lights. Couldn't see the station, but a friend told me of some red glow the other night.

On a skeptical note, i'm fairly certain at this point we're just going to settle for reopening with new trains which is no mean feat (KUDOS TO THE MECHANICS! you guys rock). But the marketing department will have to really answer for it's bluster and prove all these claims of tunnels, audio (please not like rockin scream, it's not noticeable on the ride), and fire. Like I said, skeptical, but not cynical. I'll be patient. Three weeks.

Whoa, could you make a video?

Question: When do all the middle school/high school kids come and invade SFMM on their graduation trips? I've only got 1 final next week(12-16) and was planning on hitting SFMM up but if its full of little kids I will pass.

You should be fine going next week, in all my years in school in CA I don't think I was ever out of school before the middle of June.

^^You still might have to bump heads with a few college students, who can be just as bad though.

...and out of state kids too. I get out on the 22nd of May, as do all the other schools in my district.

ASU and universities alike get out within the next week or so.

wow, 1st x-trains, then 2 water rides open back up, now the falls, and thomas town looks like it would make some hilarious photo ops. I'm restoring my faith with the new management, that i think i will finally get that overpriced plane ticket and fly out to CA to hit up those west coast parks i procrastinated so much on.

wow, 1st x-trains, then 2 water rides open back up, now the falls, and thomas town looks like it would make some hilarious photo ops. I'm restoring my faith with the new management, that i think i will finally get that overpriced plane ticket and fly out to CA to hit up those west coast parks i procrastinated so much on.

It's cheaper to fly to LA then it is to Orlando most times. At least from Chicago.

In the future, please use the shift key.

Agreed. Not that having the new trains is a bad thing, but it's certainly going to be a stretch to claim that it has "all-new, innovative state-of-the-art visual, audio and sensory effects."

However, if there's anyone who can spin it the right way, it's Jay Thomas.