TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The park just keeps keeping better and better! I'm glad that they are paying attention to things like this because they can make a HUGE difference on the look of the park. I applause the management. Great job guys!

Thanks for the update Robb. I'm sure all of us really appreciate it.

Did anybody else see the Flash Intro to Magic Mountain's home page? I just watched it but, when I tried to view it again, it's no longer there. As if they just took it off right after I watched it.

I'll try my best to describe it... It looks like it might be the commercial the park might use once the ride opens...

It started off with the X2 logo doing a 360 spin, then it began shaking with the volcano in the back and all of a sudden these metal claws burst from below the X of the logo and crunch into the ground. And all of a sudden the metal X starts splitting open and all these wires and metal things burst out and then these red wire-y things start winding around the logo (it looks like some kind of alien vein things) and then it zooms in and it turns out to be the coaster's red track. The camera then pans and follows one of the winding red tracks and it shows a the new X2 train (CGI generated of course, but looks EXACTLY like it does in real life) and other stuff happens and then it all gets sucked back into the X2 logo and then the ad stops.

It was a professionally done thing...so cool. Hopefully they'll put it back up.

And that typical TV commercial voice guy was narrating the whole thing...saying stuff like "Don't resist." and "It's almost here. X2."

It's awesome to see all the tender loving care go back into the park that broke my boundaries (as in growing up). It was my first for a lot of experiences, and its great to see the attention go into the detail we love.

Good job MM.

Now only to get back there after my new child is born. Say what you say but i feel guilty about having a day of fun with the mother to be just standing by looking on. really hun it's ok? haha

life got to love it.

LOVE the Update! Video Updates are just so refreshing sometimes. I would like to make a clarification on Robb's behalf. The signs that were described as "Kids Attractions" are actually the "Family Friendly Attraction" signs. The denote an attraction which the a family can experience all together.

The park just keeps keeping better and better! I'm glad that they are paying attention to things like this because they can make a HUGE difference on the look of the park. I applause the management.

Seriously! It's the details that count. I really like the direction that SFMM is going at. Newly painted rides, removal of older ones, better operations... now, if they just took off those dreaded brakes on Viper and Revolution! Can't wait for my visit in July!

The Orange train at Viper is now operational. If you can get the chance to ride it, you must. SO SMOOTH!!!!!!

Wow what is the last time the park ran that train? Normally when I've been at the park over the years it has been sitting on the transfer track gathering dust. It is generally the smoothest of the Viper trains.

Loved the video

" We will be back to two bench operation later in the day" coming from the operational management guy just cracked me up.

Also like Valencia Falls 2 - I can see the commercials already! New for 2008.... and oh yeah, we have x2 as a bonus too

Loved the video

" We will be back to two bench operation later in the day" coming from the operational management guy just cracked me up.

That was actually Jim from Westcoaster. I only shot the Thomas Town and Valencia Falls footage yesterday. The rest of it a shot I few days earlier.

BTW, does anyone like that we're doing 16x9 now? Did anyone notice?

--Robb

RECYCLING BINS! Thank You sooooo much! I'm a super Triple R fanatic( Recycle, Reduce, Re-Use) and I hate it when I go to parks that don't have bins and I have to carry all the bottles in my bag till I go back home.

Oh Magic Mountain. I'm going to end up going to Magic Mountain more than I go to Disneyland. I'm so excited for what else the new management has in store. One of the things I really like is that you guys had a set goal for this whole year, and by the looks of this update, you are truly keeping to your word! It's going to be a great year for SFMM!

So sad to see that Turnstile: The Ride is gone from its spot in Thomas Town (if you were in my tour group with William at WCB, you'll know what I'm talking about). And, I can't wait on the details for Camp Out!

I think it's great. Nice to see the falls back up and running. I remember seeing them in 03 or 04 and I thought they looked spectacular.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to put some type of fake rock on that concrete footer at the top of the falls? Or do they need to be able to see the footer for inspection? It would be cool to see the ride coming right out of the bedrock.

Okay, here's a question I've been meaning to ask...

Am I the only one who doesn't get the colors used for the new X trains? The track is a pretty sweet charcoal and red... mean and menacing. The trains? Florida Gator Blue and Orange. How'd that happen?

In case this hasn't been answered, Tim Burkhart told us the reason at WCB. The chassis is silver, so scratches and cracks can be easily seen if you rub dirt over them. The restraints are orange, since it's a highly visible color for safety reasons. The seats are blue, since the fiberglass came in that color and not having to worry about paint getting scratched off.

I don't know what to think. I got my passes for the first time ever this year and I'm enjoying them. Look at all these posts. It really matters to people that things like the falls are back on and look at how beautiful it looks. Sure we want the BIG rids but we don't want to lose what we grew up with. Hell a refurbished #3 car on Goldrusher? What the hell are they gonna do next? Remove old gum from the ground? The Park keeps looking better and better. Great up date Robb. Thanks.

I don't know what to think. I got my passes for the first time ever this year and I'm enjoying them. Look at all these posts. It really matters to people that things like the falls are back on and look at how beautiful it looks. Sure we want the BIG rids but we don't want to lose what we grew up with. Hell a refurbished #3 car on Goldrusher? What the hell are they gonna do next? Remove old gum from the ground? The Park keeps looking better and better. Great up date Robb. Thanks.

I can totally agree wit this, because theme parks are more than just rides, whether big or flat. Parks are also built around ambience, scenary, and memories. As we all know the majority of time spent in parks go between waiting in lines and walking to/from rides. That gives guests visiting a chance to enjoy the little things you lace your park with, or complain if it's not. That is why I tip my hat to MM for bringing some of that to the park.

Very true & makes it really frustrating to hear people complain about improvements because 'no one will care about _____' (like Valencia Falls). As if they're reading the minds of every park guest that walks through the gates.

I also like how they aren't taking the focus group approach to improving the park. They aren't sitting idely by and waiting for guests to tell them what matters, they're rolling up their sleeves and doing it themselves as much as they can. They're using their own good judgement about what and how to improve, and the guests are walking in, seeing what they've done, and are liking what they see.

That's how it should always work IMO. Sure there's always a feedback component, but that shouldn't ever be the chief driver. People come to parks to be wowed, so it's up to those running the park to wow them. That's what I see going on & I want more wow! Keep it up guys!

-- PMM