TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ The second one that is being built is a family launch coaster... Now the way I see it that would have been the only option for the new management and because antoher park so close will already have one for the people in so-cal to enjoy why would they build one? the idea is to bring as many people into the park as possable and building rides that are already avalable within a few hours drive (knott's is only about an hour away) is not going to bring in maximum traffic.

At the risk of straying further off topic, how does Montezooma's revenge get away with no OTSRs on an inverted coaster, yet Revolution can't?

Back on topic, I'd like to see a custom Crazy Canoe type coaster at SFMM. If done as a terrain coaster, I think it could be great. It looks like it would be a pretty unique ride experience. Capacity would definitely be an issue with the one we've probably all seen in the S&S promo video, but that doesn't mean they couldn't build something a little bigger with more block sections and/or trains that can accomodate more riders.

And on the subject of S:TE, while it may not be very intense, it does "look" intimidating. Although in reality it is family friendly from a height requirement and ride intensity standpoint, I'd be willing to bet that quite a few people avoid it just because of how it looks and sounds. Well.. That, and the line.

Yeah appearance is a bit of a problem for Superman:TE's being considered a 'family coaster'. That looming 400+ft structure & the F-15 fighter-sounding noise it makes doesn't exactly say 'kid-friendly fun' to me.

Fortunately there are plenty of other attractions & shows at Magic Mountain that ARE kid-friendly and fun for the family to experience together.

"...how does Montezooma's revenge get away with no OTSRs on an inverted coaster, yet Revolution can't?" (Mechanic)

If I recall, this question was raised at West Coast Bash. I can't remember the exact answer, but I think Montezooma's Revenge was grandfathered in because it was built before there was such a requirement, and it has had no modifications other than to add seatbelts.

Would someone please set me straight if I am not correct here?

Eric

By the way, I just realized that I referred to both Montezooma's revenge and Revolution as "inverted" coasters, whereas I meant to say, "coasters that have an inversion." Please don't send the coaster cops after me.

I must have missed the question being asked at WCB. I imagine the grandfathered thing makes as much sense as we can hope for. Besides, Revolution is the way it is and I guess that's not going to change so there's no sense in worrying about it. I actually don't get beat up all that bad on it, but it does box me around a bit about the ears.

Seriously, though. I can understand why a transportation ride wouldn't be "marketable." Imagine...TV ads, billboards, newspapers, etc.---"Come to Six Flags Magic Mountain and ride the newww...MONORAIL!"

Well, sir, there's nothing on earth Like a genuine, Bona fide, Electrified, Six-car Monorail! What'd I say?

Monorail!

That's right! Monorail!

I hear those things are awfully loud...

...It glides as softly as a cloud.

Is there a chance the track could bend?...

...Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

What about us brain-dead slobs?..

...You'll be given cushy jobs.

Were you sent here by the devil?...

...No, good sir, I'm on the level.

The advertisement practically writes itself!

Is that from the Simpsons?

It is. And actually, after "That's right, Monorail!", the city starts chanting "monorail...monorail...monorail...monorail" and then the verse comes in. So funny.

Revolution will always have OTSR's because it installed them to begin with. OSHA rules say that once a ride has the restraints, they are not allowed to take them off. So as long as Montezuma's never puts them on, it'll never have them. As for Revolution, it will always have OTSR's.

Ahhh...classic Simpsons. Isn't that also the episode where at the end Marge does a voice over explaining how that was the last time Springfield fell for something like that and gives examples of the skyscraper made from popsicle sticks, the giant magnifying glass which was next to it and sets it ablaze, and the escalator to nowhere...where you see people going up it and just falling off the top. Love it! But what movie was all that "monorail" stuff originally from?

It's making fun of the musical and movie "The music man" where harold hill sells the town on how pool is evil so keep them occupied and buy his instruments and music lessons of which he doesn't know how to do anwyay. Classic scam. He also opens up the frigid librarian. Good times.

"Ya got trouble, folks, right here in River City

with a capital 'T' and that rhymes with 'P' and that stands for 'pool'"

People can easily live with OTSRs, as long as they don't cause pain. People don't like pain. It hurts too much. Maybe I'm deaf, dumb & blind about it, but I wouldn't consider it a difficult thing to swap Revy's existing OTSR's with ones that don't cause pain.

^I agree. Replacing them with ones that are more comfortable and designed better...that actually fit doesn't seem like an impossible thing to do. The current ones are wierd. They are hard and seem to be too high and large, when they are locked down it seems like they wouldn't hold you in. Where they attatch the the seat back normally on most coasters, is about shoulder height. These are almost above my head and I could easily get out of them. Since they will not be going away, I think they could be replaced, as I stated, with something better and it shouldn't be that big a deal.

Some of the new non OTSRs could go a long way in improving Revolution. Hopefully it's on the "To Do List" but I'm not holding my breath...

It has already been made clear that Revolution cannot remove its OTSR's. If you can't get rid of them, then you've got to work WITH them, which means improving them, sleeker, more comfortable restraints. I know it's possible, it's just a matter of time, money, and necessity.

After a doctor appointment this morning and a little unsuccessful job hunting, I took a break and headed out to SFMM.

I arrived at noon and was done by 3:30. During that time, I rode every coaster in the park (except X2 and Goliath Jr./Percy, obviously). While I could have had multiple rides, I decided to try and get on each one only once.

It was a good thing I got Deja Vu in because it closed just as I was leaving (I don't know if it reopened).

Longest wait: about ten minutes for S:TE.

All in all, a good day.

Eric

^^I totally agree! Like I mentioned, an OTSR that was comfortable and ACTUALLY FIT is not completely impossible and on Revolution would make a HUGE difference. (I always thought the existing OTSRs were very strange and gigantic-like). Since they can't go away some investment should be made to replace them with something better. I don't know how much it would cost but I think that if they really wanted to and after they get the more important things out of the way they would budget for that. It's a classic, historical, iconic treasure that deserves this attention (and for the rest of it to be painted) and would make many who love to ride it, like myself, appreciate MM's improvement efforts even more and make a great ride even greater. I am so happy and pleased for all the good things that are happening there and I just hope that this also becomes part of all that make-it-better-goodness. The only thing that would put the icing on the cake for me is if this was my home park and not a 300 mile drive.

Some of the new non OTSRs could go a long way in improving Revolution. Hopefully it's on the "To Do List" but I'm not holding my breath...

It has already been made clear that Revolution cannot remove its OTSR's. If you can't get rid of them, then you've got to work WITH them, which means improving them, sleeker, more comfortable restraints. I know it's possible, it's just a matter of time, money, and necessity.

I still don't buy that ATSM excuse. If they ATSM standards really did say that all looping coasters had to have OTSR's, how is it all the Premier rides are able to go without them? Six Flags even replaced OTSR's with lapbars on both Mr Freeze rides...

Makes you wonder...Although, BS or not, the park has a lot of other more important issues to address before rehabbing Revolution. Bathrooms, roofs, back of the house areas, and general building rehabs should all have a higher priority. Thankfully they are addressing those first.

^ That's the first time I've ever heard that, and considering there's obviously no law mandating OTSR's in the first place, I can't imagine a law mandating you have to keep them on if you put them on.

I agree with Joey, I don't buy any of the excuses they give about Revolution. I'd rather them just say they want to keep them on there, as opposed to trying to find an excuse for it.

My only problem with Revolution's OTSRs is that they're positioned too high and not vertically adjustable. Tall people fit OK, but it does no good if the restraint is above your ears (I've seen a few riders like that).

But while I would like better restraints/newer trains/whatever on Revolution, I agree that there are issues in the park that should take a higher priority. Remember, some of those buildings are pushing 40 years old.

Eric