TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I may be wrong (correct me if I am), but isn't the law that ,in California, if a ride adds OSTRs then they can never be taken off?

The basically says "be sure you cross your T's and dot your I's." In other words...as long as everyone signs off on any ride modification, it's OK. Nothing is written about OTSR's.

The OTSR's wouldn't be so bad if they were positioned lower, and the lap bar is preventing them from being in a lower position. In fact, you can see that they pretty much touch each other.

I think the most cost-effective way of making the ride more comfortable is by removing the lap bar and moving the harnesses down.

I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but what I read basically says that once a safety restraint is installed on a train, it cannot be taken off. Revolution is a 32 year old Schwarzkopf located in California (the Batman and Robin coasters were none of those) that still runs the original trains, and none of that helps its case.

To me, a logical possibility behind Revolution's OTSR's is that the trains could have been given seatbelts instead of OTSR's, much like Montezuma's. However, Montezuma's has one thing that slows dispatch times, checking the seatbelts and having to click each one closed (even if there's nobody sitting in the seat) before the train launches. Now imagine doing that on Revolution, where there's 3 trains running and with that an hour line. Maybe it would have hurt capacity, so instead, they did the next best thing to keep dispatch times high and added OTSR's.

From an engineers standpoint, the OTSR's were added for a reason, and that reason is still around today because the ride is the same as it was 30 years ago. Taking them off because guests find them uncomfortable doesn't make sense, and really isn't a safe idea.

I'm sure there's a solution, but I'm sure it's not cheap, and to repeat what others have said, there are more important things the park needs to spend money on if they want to continue turning the park around.

I'm not sure what the exact rule is, but what I read basically says that once a safety restraint is installed on a train, it cannot be taken off. Revolution is a 32 year old Schwarzkopf located in California (the Batman and Robin coasters were none of those) that still runs the original trains, and none of that helps its case.

I don't know how many times I can say this, but there is no rule governing restraints other than "they have to work." Well, technically there are specifications they have to meet, but simplifying the fine print translates into "they have to work."

If SFMM were to change the restraints, the only requirements under the law would be that the state inspects it and that everyone signs off on it (SOP's ammended, engineers approve it, etc.)

It's California Assembly Bill 850 and ASTM standard F24 if you want to look it up.

^Thank you for simplifying that. I guess that is possible for them to remove the OSTRs but I don't think that they ever will. The best thing that I think that they can do is to remove the lap bars and lower the OSTRs. I agree with a lot of other people on here on the fact that there are higher prioritys than that though.

You have no idea what your talking about....as usual.

Courtesy of Jew: California Assembly Bill 850 and ASTM standard F24. Look it up.

You have no idea what your talking about....as usual.

Courtesy of Jew: California Assembly Bill 850 and ASTM standard F24. Look it up.

Pure hasn't even responded yet... There's really no need to reiterate this.

Anyway, I think revolution should ditch the lap bar and modify the OSTRs to make them more comfortable. But I really don't think this is a very high priority for SFMM.

I don't know how many times I can say this, but there is no rule governing restraints other than "they have to work." Well, technically there are specifications they have to meet, but simplifying the fine print translates into "they have to work."

If SFMM were to change the restraints, the only requirements under the law would be that the state inspects it and that everyone signs off on it (SOP's ammended, engineers approve it, etc.)

It's California Assembly Bill 850 and ASTM standard F24 if you want to look it up.

I don't think there is anything keeping the park from *legally* removing the OTSR's, but rather safety engineering standard. But there is nothing keeping the park from making Revolution rideable by putting in new restraints.

I don't get why the park is lowballing the admission price. With the money they've been pumping in I think it's a mistake to lower the anchor price. They're conditioning people to think the park is only worth $26.99.

While we are talking about Revolution...

I just wish they'd add the "knee pads" found on the other Schwartz's i've ridden. They really help us taller folks especially when we hit those brakes. Last time I rode, I thought a broke a knee cap on the exposed metal.

One more thing on the "Revolution wish list," I would love to experience it with the trims before the loop and after the tunnel turned off. (I can vaguely remember as a child and riding it that there were no trims but that is just a memory and I could be mistaken). I have several questions about this... I would like to know why they are using them in the first place...do they really need to be there? Have they always been used since it started operation or were they added later? Can they be turned off without compromising rider safety or stress on the structure or tains? Are they there because of the coaster's age? Is there some California or OSHA, etc., mandate that says they must be used? I would guess by looking at them they were added after the fact but I really don't know for sure. I would really appreciate it if someone could give more insight on this and maybe answer my many questions about it...thanks in advance.

Well when nothing's been changed in the design of the train or the track to make the ride smoother, the best you can hope for is that it's now accidentally smoother. Don't think the odds of that are too great.

I was under the impression the design of the train was quite different. Especially as far as weight is concerned, which we all know holds some attributes to roughness (Beast, Psyclone). I would expect the ride to be much smoother, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see to be certain.

But again, if you were at WCB & heard the explanations from Tim, he explained that weight actually works backwards than conventional thinking with X2's trains (meaning if anything, heavier trains will produce a smoother experience), and that a lighter weight was there so the new trains wouldn't require as much maintenance as the old ones did. He made it a point to say that X2's trains were NOT designed to run any smoother than the old trains did, and said the outer seat being rougher phenomenon will likely be the case with the new trains as well.

More people need to go to these events. They can be quite informative!

^Um, he responded to the subject like five posts above yours!

I was talking about how he just reposted the same information as Jew 2 posts after him and the person that that information was directed to hadn't responded to it yet...

Please read our posting rulesabout "posting for posting sake."

Thank you!

--Robb

Do you know if there will be a Flash pass line for X2 ?

I had a flight pass for june to ride X2 with the 2008 xtreme season pass.

And I hope we will have news on the next coaster, they should work on it soon if it is planned for 2009... Mr Shapiro, please let us know what will be the next coaster !

(I'm really waiting to see clones of KindaKa and Griffon in the park in the next years, as well as S&S Towers (like Power Tower) and more flat (Matterhorn, Top Spin, Octopus, Fly away, ...), new ride like Skyride or monorail, and some theming (Please do something on Scream, one of the best coaster of the park).