TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does anyone have any knowledge on the average attendance at SFMM? Im curious to see if having so many coasters really does add to their attendance with each new coaster. I figure they must have a high attendance rate if they can have weekends with each ride being above a 30 minute wait... that could also just be due to the ride dispatching teams.

I still don't understand why it was necessary to build Speedy Gonzales when the three existing kiddie coasters rarely have any line.

Well, congrats to Magic Mountain on claiming the world record on the most coasters, oh wait, they already have it...

The difference between a flat ride and a coaster is, as Tim Burkhart said, return on investment. Coasters more easily allow a park to sell merch, on-ride photos, and develop entire lands around than a flat ride would.

Flats are great complimentary attractions, but aside from using kiddie coasters to cheaply maintain their "most coaster" records, it's obvious SFMM isn't in the business of "complimentary" attractions.

I am a huge supporter of flat rides, as it seems most of us are, but I do wonder if SFMM even needs them. It's true, they're great complimentary attractions, but when you have a park with enough roller coasters to round out a day with leftovers to spare, how many people are going to schedule in time for a flat? I go on the flats at Knott's because I have to in order to stay for more than a few hours, SFMM doesn't have that problem.

Also, to bring up a topic from a few pages ago, do you folks think the structure is wide enough to support two different tracks? Clearance between the two tracks isn't much of an issue when they never stray away from each other, their clearance envelope simply overlaps each other's, but if you have one track raising and one falling, suddenly where there used to be open space you have a bunch of supports. I'm not saying its impossible, I'm sure it is, but I'm also not sure it's as simple as we think it is...

I still think it's interesting the park decided to remove rides to add the new coaster. Sure, it only ends up being the one train that was taken out since they're relocating the bird cages, but I feel like it would have been nicer for them to just expand on what they already had. Even with all the love that the park is giving to that whole section, walking by in what's left of the High Sierra Territory is still going to feel really empty. It's nice to have a quiet section of the park with the Golden Bear theater and Pistachio Park, but I think that was the perfect opportunity for them to expand it. If you're going to remodel the kids area, why not expand it to make it even bigger? Otherwise, I'm actually a fan of the whole Speedy Gonzalez theme for the new coaster.

*Technically* speaking, the last new flat ride that was added was Lex Luthor's, although most people don't think of drop rides as flats, but they are considered that.

Does anyone have any knowledge on the average attendance at SFMM? Im curious to see if having so many coasters really does add to their attendance with each new coaster. I figure they must have a high attendance rate if they can have weekends with each ride being above a 30 minute wait... that could also just be due to the ride dispatching teams.

It's not really the average attendance that counts, it's the what happens when they don't build a new coaster. If they gain nothing by adding a new coaster, but lose 250,000 by not building one just for instance, it makes sense they are going to build a new one.

Speedy looks like a cute installation for that area of the park. I hope also they get one of those "spinning coasters" from IAPPA (great video coverage of that!), which I believe is going into Silverwood. For coaster #20, probably should be something special. For SFMM, I think if they stay focused on the coaster path, that at least gives them an identity that is different in the local marketplace. They will never be able to compete with Universal or Disney for family attractions. But it is beyond rare for Universal and Disney to build coasters, and that gives SFMM a marketable and cost effective selling point.

Generally, I actually do not want to see LA County fair style flat rides in SFMM at all. For the balancing of the park's attraction roster, instead of flats, would much rather seem them pursue Sally Corp. for an interactive dark ride, some kind of film based motion sim ride, better live entertainment, etc.

I really wish MM would and flat's to the line up. I think they needs to take the Colossus County Fair area and make it like a Fair. Remove Johnny Rockets and some of the Games, just revamp that whole area. Love to see some classic carnival ride's like Zipper, Falling Star and maybe bring back Z-Force. MM let's not always be coaster bound, mix it up!

Giving this more thought, I'd really love to see them do something like this if/when they do the Colossus upgrade. It doesn't have to be anything huge, but adding in even just 2-3 new, relatively unique flat rides, preferably some with amazing lighting on them (I'm a sucker for the lights at night). A Falling Star, a Zipper, and Air Race maybe... As I mentioned before, I've always been a fan of Enterprise. Shoot, I'd love to see a Unicoaster too.

What I'd REALLY like to see, though I know won't happen, is for them to remove Scream and install some sort of huge Ferris Wheel. Maybe even something like Mickey's Fun Wheel, but even larger. Make it the largest wheel with swinging gondolas on the west coast so you can claim a record. This would be a great addition to the landscape view of the park from the freeway, and would match the theme of the area much better than Scream does. Would look amazing at night too.

Hey, a man can dream, right?

it's not what I'm drinking, but what I'm smoking!

It really does feel like the Colossus County Fair area is so lacking though. This seems like such an easy thing to do, with minor investments. But yes.... clearly it's not happening.

Though, maybe if enough of us post about it, SFMM will read our posts and change their mind? (it must be really, really good stuff that I'm smoking)

Don't get me wrong, I do agree about the park needing flat rides (Thrill and/or family).

I do my fair share of bashing the park but all joking aside I would love nothing more than to see the park invest in improving infrastructure and yes, add a few flat rides but like Joey said, getting a ROI for a flat ride is damn near impossible.

I really wish MM would and flat's to the line up. I think they needs to take the Colossus County Fair area and make it like a Fair. Remove Johnny Rockets and some of the Games, just revamp that whole area. Love to see some classic carnival ride's like Zipper, Falling Star and maybe bring back Z-Force. MM let's not always be coaster bound, mix it up!

Giving this more thought, I'd really love to see them do something like this if/when they do the Colossus upgrade. It doesn't have to be anything huge, but adding in even just 2-3 new, relatively unique flat rides, preferably some with amazing lighting on them (I'm a sucker for the lights at night). A Falling Star, a Zipper, and Air Race maybe... As I mentioned before, I've always been a fan of Enterprise. Shoot, I'd love to see a Unicoaster too.

What I'd REALLY like to see, though I know won't happen, is for them to remove Scream and install some sort of huge Ferris Wheel. Maybe even something like Mickey's Fun Wheel, but even larger. Make it the largest wheel with swinging gondolas on the west coast so you can claim a record. This would be a great addition to the landscape view of the park from the freeway, and would match the theme of the area much better than Scream does. Would look amazing at night too.

Hey, a man can dream, right?

Yes a man dream!!! Robb and Elissa, if you have any pull and they welcome your opinion, you should mention this. Too much empty wasted space and buildings going on at this park. Don't get me wrong, I love Yolo Coaster but the site would have been better used for something more KICK A$$! I would agree with you Dannyboy13 and removing Scream TPLC (The Parking Lot Coaster)! So much can happen for this park, just wish they knew it. Step it Up SFMM!

What is really missing to the park Magic Mountain ?

For me :

* a gondola cable car (instead of the old orient express people mover) departure near the Grand Carousel, with a mid station up the mountain that will allow us to take it from each side of the mountain, and another station near the Gold rusher coaster departure.

* More thrill rides : Top Spin, Break dance, Disko ride, Top Scan, Flipper, Octopus, Matterhorn (sweety, rock'n roll, taiga jet...)

* Splash battle

* Rollercoasters :

- add a 3rd train to the Riddlers revenge (always the longest line in the park with X2)

- a new mine train to replace the horrible Gold rusher

- new trains (like on batman) and new paintings on Ninja

- a B&M Mega coaster (higher than Goliath and with bunny hills)

- Intamin or Mack megalite coaster (family ride)

- a B&M wing coaster (with the pretzel figure like the new one in Germany at Heide Park)

* More trees, flowers and water in the park

* Better foods

* it's really seldom to meet the Looney tunes in the park... i'd like to see them more often.