TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

So Magic Mountain will have 19 coasters by next year. Do you guys expect an Iron Colossus announcement for next summer with the trains running backwards this spring to "make-up" for 2014 fright fest? Or do you believe they'll go for a BIG 20th coaster announcement for 2015 or 2016?

I'm thinking that the big number 20 will come pretty soon, but in the form of Iron Colossus from a marketing standpoint. While the actual 20th will be another small addition, perhaps from a different six flags park. They still have that unused area where Deja Vu was and a relocated wild mouse or spinner would fit in easily enough to the footprint.

Hell, if they wanted to do something more original than that. I bet they could get GCI's shuttle coaster concept in there no problem and have it be a family Apocalypse. Not that Apocalypse's ride isn't well suited for families as long as their children are tall enough.

So Magic Mountain will have 19 coasters by next year. Do you guys expect an Iron Colossus announcement for next summer with the trains running backwards this spring to "make-up" for 2014 fright fest? Or do you believe they'll go for a BIG 20th coaster announcement for 2015 or 2016?

I'd expect number 20 to come in 2016. Most likely a Wing Coaster (possibly to break Gatekeeper's records) or possibly a giga (unlikely). Perhaps an Intamin Wooden (also unlikely). Thoughts?

I'd expect number 20 to come in 2016. Most likely a Wing Coaster (possibly to break Gatekeeper's records) or possibly a giga (unlikely). Perhaps an Intamin Wooden (also unlikely). Thoughts?

Another kiddie coaster.

^ Maybe YOLOCoaster as well due to the hang time, but not as much. It may seem dorky, but thats why I literally tie my phone to me when riding anything where this could happen. I have a small pouch my phone goes into that fits into my pocket and it attaches to my belt loop with a key ring so that if it comes out of my pocket it just hangs 6" in front of me and doesn't go anywhere. I mainly got it for Superman: Ultimate Flight at Discovery Kingdom which has some significant hangtime (and in the TPR video, someone actually loses their phone!)

Superman Ultimate Flight...I've seen a phone fly out as the train went skyward on my last visit, much like what happened in the TPR video. As far as objects falling out on rides, secure cargo pockets are the way to go. With those, you can guarantee your goods will stay with you in the craziest hang time moments.

I find Sue Carpenter's response to be the most interesting part of that "story" (which, otherwise, was about as non-newsworthy as a news article can get). Why would Carpenter want to openly admit that it's "challenging" to get a hold of the park's lost and found office? haha

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lazarus-20130903,0,2801750.column

LA Times story on customer service ( or lack of ) at Magic Mountain

This is sooooo "California"... bitching and trying to deflect blame to someone else about something that was their clearly fault to begin with. I'm in now way making excuses for any lack of customer service at Six Flags parks, but how many times to they tell you to put items in a locker, etc, if you don't want to lose stuff?

Sorry lady. Your fault for losing your phone. No one elses. Suck it up and get a new one and stop bothering other people.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

This one is really a case of both parties screwing up. She should have rented a locker, but I also enjoy anytime SFMM gets put on blast for being cheap with labor. Any well run park will have dedicated staff to their lost and found department and not try to have them covering both the GR desk in the park AND the lost & found/call center phones.

The park is closed today and tomorrow. I drove by and noticed a big crane (with 2 guys in a basket) at the top of the hill on X2. I'm guessing they're doing some welding, because there was a guy "hosing down" the hill nearby to prevent a fire. Obviously trying to get X2 back up.

This is sooooo "California"... bitching and trying to deflect blame to someone else about something that was their clearly fault to begin with. I'm in now way making excuses for any lack of customer service at Six Flags parks, but how many times to they tell you to put items in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, etc, if you don't want to lose stuff?

Sorry lady. Your fault for losing your phone. No one elses. Suck it up and get a new one and stop bothering other people.

--Robb

That's pretty much every where. I recently read a report that people my age who are coming in as business managers are generally regarded by upper management as "entitled". This is across the board America in general. We are entitled brats.

The park is closed today and tomorrow. I drove by and noticed a big crane (with 2 guys in a basket) at the top of the hill on X2. I'm guessing they're doing some welding, because there was a guy "hosing down" the hill nearby to prevent a fire. Obviously trying to get X2 back up.

Thats great, with the park opened on weekend only now I feel like they'll get it up and running by Fright Fest next month.

Not to mention replacing the lift chain won't be an easy task while a train is on the lift. This isn't the parks 1st run-in with X's lift so hopefully it'll be running within a couple weeks.

I looked when I was there on Sat and I didn't see the train on the lift, unless it was at the very bottom..I think they had removed it.

This is sooooo "California"... bitching and trying to deflect blame to someone else about something that was their clearly fault to begin with. I'm in now way making excuses for any lack of customer service at Six Flags parks, but how many times to they tell you to put items in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo, etc, if you don't want to lose stuff?

--Robb

I was walking under X2 exit where you see ride photo's and a phone just missed me. People are always trying to shoot video on phones on rides. Don't they know these are projectiles.

Your right, We in California do complain too much.

Not to mention replacing the lift chain won't be an easy task while a train is on the lift. This isn't the parks 1st run-in with X's lift so hopefully it'll be running within a couple weeks.

Was this the same or similar problem that they encountered back in 2006 or 2007 when X closed for a few months? I can't remember what the issue was back then, but if I recall it had something to do with the lift hill.

I was at the Mountain today. The crane was still working on X2 until about 2pm, and then pulled off. I couldn't see if it was still by the ride.

As a gold pass member I got in extra early today - 15 minutes instead of the normal 10. That got me 3 early YOLO rides before the stampede came in and I moved on. It was quite a cooker weather - wise today. I definitely sweated off a few pounds. Other than X2, everything was running, but some rides with minimal staff.