TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

To be honest, the last few trips to SFMM I remember Revolution being pretty decent, even with the OTSRs. I'm pretty hard on SFMM but I do give them credit for keeping Revolution going even though I'm sure a lot of the parts are hard to come by now a days.

On another subject, Not sure if this has been discussed but I'm interested in seeing how Superman and Lex Luthor's operations will effect each other. I assume Lex can't run while Superman is cycling due to the tower movement. I've heard they are going to modify operation to alternate ride cycles; Superman runs a cycle, Lex runs one, then Superman and so on. Anyone heard anything about this?

Edited by Double0Kevin

If thats true then the operations will definitely suffer. In theory it should work, but things happen when loading and unloading a ride and the rides might counteract each other. For instance if a very large guest goes on Lex Luther can't fit and is struggling to get on, then that will affect Superman's operations.

Here's a question for our Australian members (or anyone that's been to Dreamworld) - how are dispatches handled between Tower of Terror and Giant Drop? That would give us a clue, right?

Here's a question for our Australian members (or anyone that's been to Dreamworld) - how are dispatches handled between Tower of Terror and Giant Drop? That would give us a clue, right?

It might except that the tower structure on that ride is completely different.

^ Yeah, from what I hear those don't effect each other because the structure doesn't sway as much. I definitely remember reading a post many years about about how the most frightening part of the drop tower(what's it name again?) was when a ToT car came roaring up next to them.

I'm curious if they do have to alternate if that will be built into the ride system or done through communication. Like Superman's computer won't allow for dispatch unless Lex is parked in the load station and vice versa, or if they will do it based on the two rides communicating with each other. I can see the communication one failing and them accidentally dispatching both rides at the same time, but a computer mod also seems pricey.

I'm curious if they do have to alternate if that will be built into the ride system or done through communication. Like Superman's computer won't allow for dispatch unless Lex is parked in the load station and vice versa, or if they will do it based on the two rides communicating with each other. I can see the communication one failing and them accidentally dispatching both rides at the same time, but a computer mod also seems pricey.

If both rides are dispatched at the same time, It probably will not injure Lex Luthor riders, but just give them a really rough ride. Remember, I'm saying probably.

Just found this. The first shot shows one of the drop gondola's going up while ToT runs a cycle. Every video I've found of ToT, I can't notice any tower movement like on superman.

Sorry for the link only, I guess I don't know how to embed a youtube video...

They probably factored in tower movement when they designed the ride. My guess is they would put accelerometers on the top of the tower that are linked into the lex luthors computer that will not let it dispatch If the tower is moving too much.

On SFMM's website in the description of Lex Luthor it said that the Lex Luthor cars will go up while the Superman cars are launching at the same time.

You and your friends can experience this thrill all while SUPERMAN: Escape from Krypton cars are blasted to the top of the same structure.

And that's what they showed in the announcement video too (although that may not be as reliable).

Personally, I'm looking forward to riding Lex Luthor while Superman cars are ascending the tower. I'd honestly be disappointed if the rides are not run together as advertised. I think the swaying and shaking of the tower will be half the thrill, if not 3/4ths of it.

It will be interesting to see. I was just speculating. I honestly have no clue what the final outcome will be as far as how they will be operated. I was just talking to some people I know within Six Flags a few days ago about it and had heard the alternating operation rumor. Whether that is correct I guess we will have to wait and see.

Sorry in advance if I seem a little cynical here...

I grew up in Blackpool, which meant I spent most weekends on truly "old coasters". While some of these coasters need to be preserved, I still think that they should only preserve the very best ones.

I get that this ride is historic in a few ways, but sometimes old and historic are good but not great.

Here's my 2 cents worth:

A) Would changing the OTSR's or even the actual cars itself on Revolution actually be worth it?

It would have NO financial benefit to SFMM corporate.... they may have a slight increase in people who want to ride it, but it will never get crowds...There is a reason why the ride is nearly always a walk on.

B) No doubt it would improve the comfort, but at the end of the day, It MIGHT make a poor ride into an average/good ride, but definitely NOT a great one.

C) The money for this refurbishment would be better spent on either new rides, modifications to superior rides (Colossus, Viper, Scream etc) or other needed upgrades to the park.

Now, can that be the end of it?

Do we really need to go into another 40 pages speculating about a more or less moot point?

Surly there is more exciting things at MM?

Cheers

Personally, I'm looking forward to riding Lex Luthor while Superman cars are ascending the tower. I'd honestly be disappointed if the rides are not run together as advertised. I think the swaying and shaking of the tower will be half the thrill, if not 3/4ths of it.

Really looking forward to this ride.... I think it would be better if both rides operated at the same time...

Imagine, you are near the top.... you hear S:EFK rattling along the track towards you..... the tower starts to sway... you look to the side to watch S:EFK... but you have been distracted from the ride you are on, then the world drops out of your stomach as you plummet to the ground!

Alternatively, you stand in line for 3 hours because turn over is so slow?

I've read the same chatter about the reasons for an early announcement.

I have no idea of the scale of land space they have to put this ride. I looked at an old park map online and saw the area where they have removed Log Jammer.....but they have also removed DejaVu.... Is that one entire space (all the way through) or is it space for two separate rides?

I would love to see it on google earth, but it crashes my laptop!

The area where Log Jammer was and where Deja Vu was are nowhere near each other. There is the "Mountain", 3-4 rides and a whole bunch of shops in between the two area's. It'd have to be a REALLY long coaster for it to use that area.

The Log Jammer area could hold a pretty good sized coaster and the Deja Vu area could hold a decent mid-sized coaster considering they had cleared land for Road Runner Express in that area as well.

The Deja Vu area could also hold a station for a nice Out and Back coaster that goes along the entire back-side of the park or the other way over Roaring Rapids.

I came to the same conclusion looking at the map. However when I looked at older park maps, they are in a different scale. It's almost like SFMM, when designing a new map, make the empty spaces smaller.

Some of the early speculation about this new ride was directly linked to the removal of DejaVu... It will be interesting to see what they have planned

Actually eventhough the noodles and trims suck I still enjoy Revolution very much. Its a great coaster to go on that is MILDLY thrilling if that's whatt you like and the discussed improvements would make it that much better and that might appeal to park goers as more of a family friendly ride that the whole family can enjoy together. So in that sense I think it would be wise to invest in improving it. However, with the current state of things at that park I agree the focus for now should be on general park improvements. I would be very happy for new trains but if that doesn't happen it wont keep me from riding it.

I think we've deduced our answer to the never ending Revolution obsession. We will most likely see changes to ride when it comes time to buy new trains. Until then, we might as well drop it.

Agreed, this discussion is pointless.

In Australia where they have their rides on the same tower, I hardly ever saw them run at the same time but they would. I think Magic Mountain will just launch each ride when it is ready and not try and coordinate. That would kill through put.

First time poster here. I'm so excited with the changes and additions going on at the Mountain! I'm glad they decided to move away from family rides and flats(other than LLdod) and concentrate on coasters. The more coasters the better. I don't care whether its little woodies like Apocolypse or shorter cheapies like GL. Now that we have Full Throttle on the way there is little argument of where the coaster capital of the world is

I completely understand why SFMM gets the most attention of all the chains parks, they are the best! Cedar Point can eat our dust!