TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Maybe one car can be in reverse, and one facing forward?

I like this idea especially if they race them in that setup. Of course it going backwards is the only reason I've always wanted to go to SFMM in frightfest. But I assume having a higher rideship year round is better then just increased flow on Fright Fest.

Plus I can't see them tearing it down and even less of a chance shipping the whole thing somewhere else. Isn't the ride a California landmark or something yet?

Just got back from the park. I am hoping it was a dud day because it was rather slow, but the park was having trouble running X2 and Tatsu. X2 opened like an hour and a half late and so did Tatsu. So while everyone else was waiting for those, we walked on Riddler, Apocalypse, Green Lantern (which we got stuck on), Batman, Colossus, Scream, and Goliath (all with 2 train operation). Then we went back to X2 and waited 1 hr. 40 min. for X2 (with 1 train; no fire, no audio). The parking lot was not full past the picnic area and it really wasn't all that crowded. Viper also only had one train.

Also, on Colossus, one of the wheels that pushes the train down the track to the lift was either not working or it was kicking in really late. It made the ride feel like it was going at 2 mph. But the rest of the ride was smooth!

^ Earlier reports said that this project is so massive that they would have to announce it in the summer. Announcing it earlier is in order to start building it to be done by the spring. This what the initial consensus has been on why the clearing started so early.

Personally, I hope that the announcement is for Full Throttle! I'm ready SFMM!

From what I've heard as well, the coaster announcement will be earlier than usual this year as this will be a massive project.

At WCB, I tried to get Tim and Neal to drop some hints about it and he did say we'll all know sooner than later.

Edited by Manic Monte

I've read the same chatter about the reasons for an early announcement.

I have no idea of the scale of land space they have to put this ride. I looked at an old park map online and saw the area where they have removed Log Jammer.....but they have also removed DejaVu.... Is that one entire space (all the way through) or is it space for two separate rides?

I would love to see it on google earth, but it crashes my laptop!

^ Earlier reports said that this project is so massive that they would have to announce it in the summer. Announcing it earlier is in order to start building it to be done by the spring.

Tell that to Silver Dollar City.

Really, I think that it is best for amusement parks to wait until August/September to announce because what would happen is people would not go to the park knowing there is a new attraction for next year. Since this will be a large attraction (speculated), this will probably be on the LA news right after the announcement thus announcing to many people.

^ Earlier reports said that this project is so massive that they would have to announce it in the summer. Announcing it earlier is in order to start building it to be done by the spring.

Tell that to Silver Dollar City.

Really, I think that it is best for amusement parks to wait until August/September to announce because what would happen is people would not go to the park knowing there is a new attraction for next year. Since this will be a large attraction (speculated), this will probably be on the LA news right after the announcement thus announcing to many people.

Normally I'd agree with this, if the park weren't about to open a headline grabbing 400ft drop tower.

The bottom of today's SFMM newsletter reads:
BIG NEWS DROPS in our next issue on June 27!

Announcement for 'Full Throttle'? Or just something related to Drop o' Doom?

Well we do know the opening date already right? They already announced that... So I don't know what other "big news" can be released on the 27th.

My gut tells me that it'll be an announcement about a season pass holder preview day for Drop of Doom on the 28th and 29th but I'd love to be wrong and for it to be pertaining to Full Throttle.

I never thought about that, It could be for a season pass holder preview day considering it uses the word "drops" in the announcement. I still hope though that this announcement is for Full Throttle though...

^ Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that - you probably read it on Screamscape:

It will be big enough that I’m hearing that the park may have to make an announcement around July 4th however, and that will will break some kind of record.

During the Q&A they said that Log Jammer's replacement would have something to do with July 4th. I'd figured they meant July 4th would be the announcement date. June 27th is one week earlier, so maybe the June 27th news is that they're making a ride announcement on July 4th. Makes sense to me.

Regarding the Drop o' Doom news possibility (which the wording and timing seems to otherwise imply), I'd be somewhat surprised if they were using June 27th to announce passholder previews for the following two days. Kind of short notice. But it's Six Flags, so who knows...

^ Good point. Also a pass holder preview of DOD two days before the ride opens to the public isn't really BIG news, not to mention risky, considering the ride hasn't even tested yet.

I'm not sure what to think at this point. lol

During the Q&A they said that Log Jammer's replacement would have something to do with July 4th. I'd figured they meant July 4th would be the announcement date. June 27th is one week earlier, so maybe the June 27th news is that they're making a ride announcement on July 4th. Makes sense to me.

Well, I think it could actually be the official announcement for the park's 2013 capital. Shortly after news about Full Throttle came out I asked management and they said: "There are a number of rumors going around. We will announce the official news in the coming months."

I've read the same chatter about the reasons for an early announcement.

I have no idea of the scale of land space they have to put this ride. I looked at an old park map online and saw the area where they have removed Log Jammer.....but they have also removed DejaVu.... Is that one entire space (all the way through) or is it space for two separate rides?

I would love to see it on google earth, but it crashes my laptop!

The area where Log Jammer was and where Deja Vu was are nowhere near each other. There is the "Mountain", 3-4 rides and a whole bunch of shops in between the two area's. It'd have to be a REALLY long coaster for it to use that area.

The Log Jammer area could hold a pretty good sized coaster and the Deja Vu area could hold a decent mid-sized coaster considering they had cleared land for Road Runner Express in that area as well.

The Deja Vu area could also hold a station for a nice Out and Back coaster that goes along the entire back-side of the park or the other way over Roaring Rapids.

I was always under the impression that they were going to use the old monorail tunnel for this new coaster, so the mountain part isn't really going to get in the way.

A ride that uses both the Log Jammer and Deja Vu areas might just be record breaking in it's length. I could see it being a coaster that is launched through the tunnel, out to the Deja vu area, where it goes though a spaghetti bowl type of element groupings and then returns to the Log jammer area with a series of bunny hops and perhaps finishing with a helix.