TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Man I can't WAIT to have a seat on the end!

That just looks odd for some reason...

Well, we know the addition was unplanned when Superman was built, so in some shape or form they had to compensate the cosmetics of the ride purely for function on an existing structure. Considering we don't see these kinds of installations very often, I really have little issue with how odd it looks, as long as it works and is dependable.

Personally the make-shift style kinda makes it even scarier IMO.

Worlds tallest Drop Tower... but the only one with Lap Bars!!!!!.... I think my body will go into automatic shut down at the top... I will have to be resuscitated at the end of this ride... I honestly don't know if I could do it! I am already scared.

Man I can't WAIT to have a seat on the end!

That just looks odd for some reason...

Well, we know the addition was unplanned when Superman was built, so in some shape or form they had to compensate the cosmetics of the ride purely for function on an existing structure. Considering we don't see these kinds of installations very often, I really have little issue with how odd it looks, as long as it works and is dependable.

Personally the make-shift style kinda makes it even scarier IMO.

Good point.

Yeesh they really went out of their way to make that look as ramshackle as possible.

Eh, your post is not that much better(sorry, love your posts usually but bashing SFMM for bashing sakes gets old)

I think it looks amazing, the ride blends perfectly within the structure and it will sure be one hell of a (scary) ride

Those noodles are unbelievable for a park that went to the extent of putting OSTRs on Revolution.

And a company that put OTSRs on Intimidator 305. I think the idea of Drop Tower Lapbars are brilliant, especially since Intamin's Drop Tower OTSRs have had so many incidents in the past (not saying they were Intamin's fault, but it's bad publicity either way).

Yeesh they really went out of their way to make that look as ramshackle as possible.

Eh, your post is not that much better(sorry, love your posts usually but bashing SFMM for bashing sakes gets old)

I don't think it was bashing, I think it was to do with the fact that it looks like scaffolding erected by day labourers.

The ride is not even done being worked on yet.

Those extra cables hanging randomly from the tower, the scaffolding platforms still up, and the awkward braces that hang over the sides at the top of the tower will be gone when they get closer to opening the ride. It still looks like it has a ways to go. They haven't even installed the pulley mechanism at the top of the tower, or the upper-clamp mechanism that pulls the cart up the tower.

Considering this was formally a non-planned attraction to be built off the side of an existing structure that wasn't originally created for this purpose, I think the final product will look just fine.

^^ If you look closely while the restraint hinge is behind the headrest the only part restraining riders is the bottom part of the restraint, which looks like it's the same as on Skyrush and very lap bar like, while the bars connecting that to the hinge point are flared outward to minimize contact with riders' shoulders. The best example of restraints like these (besides Skyrush) would be the restraints on Manta west and Blue Fire.

And a company that put OTSRs on Intimidator 305.

The OSTRs on I305 are there to support riders' upper bodies so the brakes can be stronger and the brake run consequently shorter not because of the ride experience, I would personally say that Xcellerator is the most severe braking force I can think of on a ride with lap bars (except some pinch brakes and the instant that they grab the fin) and is on the edge of being uncomfortable.

Edited by bottom_feeder_13