Knoebels Discussion Thread

P. 217 - Knoebel's Announces "Impulse", a Zierer Coaster
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Knoebels Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Any news on Flying Turns?

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:49 pm

^ Any news on the Space Shuttle program?

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby sspaz1000 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:52 pm

I was there yesterday too. Someone was carrying around their pet skunk, black diamond was running better than last year, they improved the timing issues and it was looking pretty good.

Twister had some new wood in places but sadly it didn't improve the ride. Any lingering effects from the flood were hard to be found.

Overall it was a good day. Not as crowded as I anticipated on an opening day.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 pm

SharkTums wrote:Any news on Flying Turns?

There were a couple a maintainance guys standing around underneath it early in the day. I didn't see any cars laying around or covered but did see what looked look axles.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:40 pm

larrygator wrote:
SharkTums wrote:Any news on Flying Turns?

There were a couple a maintainance guys standing around underneath it early in the day. I didn't see any cars laying around or covered but did see what looked look axles.

Did they look more or less confused than the past five years? :lol:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Movieguy » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm planning on heading to Knoebels this year for my summer trip, since I haven't been there since July of 2008. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in Danville, which was nice, but I'd like to know about any other possibilities, since this is a section of PA with which I'm not too familiar.

I'll be bringing my Mother too, I think, since she talked about an old park she used to go to in Western PA called Cascade Park, and I think Knoebels would remind her a lot of it. She was also impressed by a video I showed her of the Phoenix. =)

I'm curious, what are the crowds there like in August? I'll have to go in early in that month, since I'm rehearsing for a show that's going on in late July. What are the best days to go?

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Jim S. » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:58 pm

larrygator wrote:The Skooters had a 3-4 cycle wait all day even with all cars working and on the track. Some of the rides were great but there were a few times where too many kid and novices clogged the course and ruined it.

Sadly, that's all too often lately. I've never seen the ops not give an extended ride if they have to stop it to clear out a jam, but it still makes it suck for the people in line. (Sometimes they've had to stop it multiple times.)

I have nothing against novices (we've all been there, and I'm still not as good as the greats), but the kids are a whole different class of bring-down because some of the youngest ones will freak out and freeze in the middle of the course. One season recently, it seemed like there was an injury every day I was there.

I wish they'd have adult sessions and kids sessions, for the sake of both the ride and the riders.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby masportster » Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:17 am

My wife and I were up for opening day on Saturday. It was a little cool but all in all nice weather. Wasn't as crowded as previous opening day's...my guess is because of the cool temps. I remember opening day last year, the line for wristbands stretched all the way back to the Pirate Ship. Got to ride Black Diamond, around 1/2 hour wait. Loved it!! My new favorite dark ride!! Twister re-tracking made it a "mite bit" smoother, but not too much.

It was Dick Knoebels birthday and they were having a cake and celebration for him at the Phoenix Junction. I got to shake his hand and wish him happy birthday.

Best of all, I got to see my grandson take his first rides in the kiddie area. It was awesome...he couldn't stop smiling on each ride!! Future coaster junkie for sure!!

Postby alilstronger » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:43 am

Opening day Saturday was so much fun!!! It was a tad chilly but still fun all around. The retracking work on Twister and Phoenix made both a better ride in my opinion. Both are still at the top of my wooden coaster list. Black Diamond was great and I am glad the park bought this ride. I finally ate at the Alamo and I will admit that is a nice restaurant with good food that nicely priced.
I may not know everything about coasters... what I do know is they are my life...
Coaster Count: 292
Favorite Steel: Maverick - CP
Favorite Wooden: El Toro - SFGA

TPR Trips: Northeast 2011, LeviaTHON 2012

Postby ernierocker » Fri May 04, 2012 6:49 pm

larrygator wrote:I hit up Knoebels with my family yesterday for opening day to take advantage of 2 for 1 wristbands. Scheduled park hours were 12-6 but they keep the rides open until 7. It was overcast but the rain held out. I only rode about 6 different rides but had multiple re-rides on them.

Phoenix still runs great, and there was a good group of enthusiasts enjoying the Flyers in all their glory most of the day. I had six awesome rides on the Flyers throughout the day.

The Skooters had a 3-4 cycle wait all day even with all cars working and on the track. Some of the rides were great but there were a few times where too many kid and novices clogged the course and ruined it.

I finally got to ride Black Diamond after touring it with TPR last summer while under construction. It was nice to see it all come together and even better knowing the back story behind some of the scenes. Even though Black Diamond was not included on the ride wristband it had the longest wait of the day (about 30 minutes).

Also, the park has new "2011 Flood" signs up and it is insane how much higher levels reached versus previous floods.

Overall it was a great day at Knoebels

Thanks for the report, Larry. Black Diamond sounds like the perfect coaster for this park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!