Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 939 - Copperhead Strike Testing Footage!
Users viewing this topic: JStanich and 13 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Re: Carowinds Discussion Thread

Postby DorneyKid14 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:26 pm

How would lines be on Saturday? Not bad or you should probably buy fast lane bad?
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:31 pm

If Saturday was your only full day there I'd say you should get Fastlane as it'll be busy if the weather is nice but since you're going for 2 days it's up to you.

Postby DorneyKid14 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Okay thanks
Favorite Steel: GateKeeper
Favorite Wood: Outlaw Run
Home Park: DPWWK
Steel: 76 Wood: 24
Total: 100 Parks: 16

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby markysharky17 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:08 pm

What ever happened to the Mondial Topscan that was supposed to be coming to this park? Are the pieces still on site?
Coaster Count #188 Last coaster was Mako
1. Intimidator 305 2. Skyrush 3. El Toro 4. Maverick 5. Superman The Ride 6. Fury 325 7. Wicked Cyclone 8. StormRunner 9. Kinda Ka 10. Top Thrill Dragster 11. Manta (SWO) 12. Goliath (SFOG) 13. Montu 14. The Beast 15. Mako 16. Intimidator 17. Banshee
RMC+B&M+INTAMIN

Postby Johnlloyd » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:11 pm

markysharky17 wrote:What ever happened to the Mondial Topscan that was supposed to be coming to this park? Are the pieces still on site?

I had wondered the same things a while ago. It's possible that, if it is for Carowinds, it will be put into storage and be built and opened for 2017 as it's getting on to open it for the 2016 season. :)
Canada's Wonderland is my home park!

Check out my amusement park blog here!

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby John Peck » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:28 pm

Looks like Carowinds might also be getting 5 new-used rides for this season: Muzik Express, Trokia, Top Scan, Wave Swinger and Breakdance

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-cedar-fair-flat-rides-20160206-story.html

A team of scavengers scouring the globe for vintage thrill rides to bring back to Cedar Fair amusement parks in the United States hit the mother lode in Europe and plans to continue the search in Japan.

The transcontinental trek took Monty Jasper and a small crew of Cedar Fair maintenance coordinators to Scotland, Holland, Italy, Switzerland and Germany where they collected seven classic flat rides — industry-speak for spinning thrill rides that travel near the ground and/or rise up into the air.

“To be honest, I was surprised at all we found,” said Jasper, a 42-year industry veteran and chief ride curator for Cedar Fair’s chain of 11 amusement parks.

Let's take a detailed look at the inventory of vintage flat rides — past and present — at Cedar Fair's amusement parks. (Brady MacDonald)

In all, Jasper spent $7 million — about $1 million per ride — on a Mondial Top Scan, Mack Music Express, Zierer Wave Swinger, Huss Condor, Huss Breakdance and a pair of Huss Troikas.

After extensive rehabs, five of the rides are heading to Carowinds outside Charlotte, N.C., and the other two are on their way to Missouri’s Worlds of Fun in time for the summer season.

Jasper likes the rides from the 1950s, '60s and '70s because they tend to be more robust and mechanically sound than their modern brethren.

“If you take care of them, they will last a long time,” Jasper said.

Inspired by the “American Pickers” reality television show, Jasper’s team of collectors departed for Europe with the goal of filling out Cedar Fair’s portfolio of mid-range rides — those unheralded but essential workhorses that fall somewhere between the mega coasters and the kiddie rides. Jasper hoped to even pick up a sturdy old coaster if found one he liked.

At Scotland’s Loudoun Castle theme park, which closed in 2010, the Cedar Fair ride pickers passed on a portable Schwarzkopf looping coaster but picked up a Troika, which is similar to the familiar Scrambler except it's suspended from overhead arms that tilt during the ride.

“They stuck the key in the ignition and it started right up,” Jasper said. “Troikas are stout rides. They’re built like tanks.”

In Germany, the pickers decided against a Funtime Star Flyer tower swing at Holiday Park but grabbed a Breakdance, which features a sloped spinning platform with hubs of cars that spin in the opposite direction. California’s Great America, a Cedar Fair park in Santa Clara, has a Breakdance ride called Peanuts Pirates in its Planet Snoopy kiddie land.

Switzerland and Italy proved scenic but fruitless, with the pickers deciding against a Huss Top Scan and a Mack bobsled roller coaster.

“Anything can run again if you throw enough money at it, but it might not be worth it,” Jasper said. “You don’t want to put some troublemaker into a park.”

Corroy Consulting, a ride-refurbishment factory in Holland that finds and resells classic flat rides, turned out to be a goldmine — with Jasper and the pickers snapping up five rides that will be stripped, repainted, repaired and updated with new electrical and lighting before being shipped to the United States.

Carowinds is expected to get the Scottish Troika, Breakdance, Music Express, Top Scan and Wave Swinger. The Music Express features a snake-like train traversing an undulating track, and the Top Scan spins riders in free-rotating gondolas. The Wave Swinger may replace the park’s Chance Yo Yo, a similar spinning ride with seats suspended from chains.

Worlds of Fun is expected to become home to the Dutch Troika as well as the Condor, a spinning tower ride with counter-spinning swinging gondola seats.

This month, Jasper plans to visit Japan on another scavenger hunt in hopes of discovering more rides like the ones he found in Europe while also looking for other classics like the Chance Trabant, Schwarzkopf Enterprise and Eli Bridge Scrambler.

“It may not be as good as that first trip,” Jasper said. “We will see.”
Last edited by larrygator on Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:08 pm.

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:40 pm

I think the two are gonna be ready for WOF this season. The top scan at carowinds is still under fury so I dont think they will be ready at carowinds this year. That will be one HELLUVAH of a 2017 expansion!

Carowinds is expected to get the Scottish Troika, Breakdance, Music Express, Top Scan and Wave Swinger. The Music Express features a snake-like train traversing an undulating track, and the Top Scan spins riders in free-rotating gondolas. The Wave Swinger may replace the park’s Chance Yo Yo, a similar spinning ride with seats suspended from chains.

:lover: :lover: :b :airtime:
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Which came first the turtle or the donkey?

Postby KICoasterkev » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:53 pm

That's awesome! Congrats to Carowinds and Worlds of Fun for these new rides! =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:59 pm

This is fantastic! I rode the Top Scan at Lagoon and it instantly became my favorite flat ride. A park can never have too many flats.
Steel: 161 / Wood: 32 / Total: 193
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby firewalk13 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:00 pm

I absolutely love that Cedar Fair is doing this.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!