Here we go again! The 2018 Golden Ticket awards winners. Check out the press release here for full results.
Best Amusement Park – Europa Park
Best Water Park – Schlitterbahn New Braunfels
Best Children’s Park – Idlewild & SoakZone
Best Marine Life Park – SeaWorld Orlando
Best Seaside Park – Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Best Kids’ Area – Planet Snoopy, Kings Island
Friendliest Park – Dollywood
Cleanest Park – Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari
Best Halloween Event – Halloween Horror Nights, Universal Orlando
Best Landscaping – Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Best Christmas Event – Smoky Mountain Christmas, Dollywood
Best Food – Knoebels Amusement Resort
Best Shows – Dollywood
Best Water Ride – Valhalla, Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Best Water Park Ride – Wildebeest, Splashin’ Safari
Best Dark Ride – Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Best New Ride of 2018 – Amusement Park – Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
Best New Ride of 2018 – Water Park – Ray Rush, Aquatica Orlando
Best Carousel – Grand Carousel, Knoebels Amusement Resort
Best Indoor Roller Coaster – Revenge of the Mummy, Universal Studios Orlando
Best Funhouse/Walk-Through Attraction – Noah’s Ark, Kennywood
And the top ten coasters per category -
1. Fury 325, Carowinds
2. Millennium Force, Cedar Point
3. Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
4. Expedition GeForce, Holiday Park
5. Superman The Ride, Six Flags New England
6. Apollo's Chariot, Busch Gardens Williamsburg
7. Iron Rattler, Six Flags Fiesta Texas
8. Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland
9. Maverick, Cedar Point
10. Diamondback, Kings Island
1. Phoenix, Knoebels Amusement Resort
2. El Toro, Six Flags Great Adventure
3. Voyage, Holiday World & Splashin' Safari
4. Boulder Dash, Lake Compounce
5. Beast, Kings Island
6. Lightning Rod, Dollywood
7. Outlaw Run, Silver Dollar City
8. Ravine Flyer II, Waldameer Water World
9. Gold Striker, California's Great America
10. Thunderhead, Dollywood
And, finally, the usual tidbits / stray thoughts -
- Only one award changed hands this year - best food. Knoebels edged out over Dollywood this year. Every other award with the exception for new rides was given to the same recipient that got it in 2017.
- The top ten wooden coasters really only shuffled around. No new additions or removals.
- Apollo's Chariot jumped up to sixth place having not been in the top ten last year. It replaced another B&M mega coaster, Nitro, in the top ten. Nitro was ranked at #11 this go around.
- Rocky Mountain's I-Box coasters were all over the place. New Texas Giant #23, Twisted Colossus #24, Wicked Cyclone #33, Twisted Timbers #38, Storm Chaser #47. No Medusa, and no Twisted Cyclone.
- Speaking of Twisted Cyclone, it wasn't even in contention for the best new ride category. Steel Vengeance and Time Traveler gobbled up all the votes, leaving Twisted Timbers, Wicker Man and Oscar's Wacky Taxi filling up the spots.
- Back to Wicked Cyclone, it dropped from #14 in 2017 to #33 this year!
- In the best new water ride category, Breaker's Edge was breathing down Ray Rush's neck. The Wiegand Slide wheel placed #4 in that category!
- Morgan's Wonderland, a theme park designed for children with disabilities, was beaten out by longtime winner IdleWild for best children's park.
- While Steel Vengeance and Time Traveler were in a near dead-heat for best new attraction, as coasters, they ranked pretty far apart. Steel Vengeance #3 and Time Traveler #18.