Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby michaellynn4 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:00 pm

ejot wrote:Java Moon Cafe is a worthwhile stop on a visit to SFGAd, nearby which there is not much other interesting food. It's just up the road on the other side of I-195. They have an imaginative menu with some unique creations, especially the sandwiches. Yelp notes some issues with waitstaff attitudes, but we didn't have any problem.
http://www.javamoon.com/find.html/

Just wanted to post an update for a previously-mentioned location.

The Java Moon Cafe by Six Flags Great Adventure has CLOSED. The building is vacant now. No word on if anything else will be moving in there.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09 pm

^Thank you. I deleted the Java Moon Cafe post and updated the directory in the first post.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Since we love beer so much on here...Wolk Creek Brewing is a great local brewpub by SFMM!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:14 am

When we were up at Worlds of Fun a couple of weeks ago, we went to Seva afterwards. It's in Liberty, maybe 10 minutes north of the park. Best Indian food I've ever had.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:30 am

Yesterday Michael and I went to check out one of the other U Pick 6 locations in Erie - The U Pick 6 Public House on Rt. 20 (or commonly referred to in Erie as W. 26th St).

This one is located closer to Waldameer and is a bit more spacious (and more family-friendly) than it's downtown counterpart. There is also a U Pick 6 Harbor House on the East side of Erie which we hope to visit soon. I really like that they have a beer store right in the restaurant so you can pick out some great beer to take home with you after a good meal.

The menu is about identical to the one in downtown...the pub food and beer selections are very solid!

Upick6 Public House
20151121_151633_resized.jpg
From the outside.
20151121_141200_resized.jpg
Draft menu. I think that Founders Double Trouble became my new favorite beer. A splendid Imperial IPA without too much hop kick (not that hop kick is a bad thing).

I also had a DuClaw Hellrazer - not bad, but I was too blown away by Double Trouble to enjoy this one as much.
20151121_142616_resized.jpg
Michael got the Cordon Bleu 'Boli with a honey mustard dipping sauce. Great combination of cut up chicken breast, some ham and provolone cheese with the zing of the honey mustard (although I would probably order a hot sauce accompaniment).
20151121_142621_resized.jpg
I opted for the Southwest Burger with tortilla chips, guac and salsa...very juicy and VERY good! Could have used a bit more kick, but still a fine burger overall. All burgers come standard with their kettle chips which taste similar to Cape Cod Salt & Pepper chips.
20151121_144651_resized.jpg
My new fave beer - Founders Double Trouble. A 4-pack set me back about $14, but damn is that some good beer!
20151121_150813_resized.jpg
You can see the kitchen and wood-fired oven for the pizzas.
20151121_150818_resized.jpg
The bar area of U Pick 6 Public House. Highly recommended if you are in Erie visiting Waldameer!

Postby jray21 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:01 pm

Philrad71 wrote:^ I would fully agree with your suggestion as I found it rather tedious trying to search & revive this thread. ;)

Anywho...here are two more to add for the Waldameer/Erie area...

I have been to U Pick Six Tap House in downtown Erie, PA twice now and we have yet to be disappointed in their food or beer selection (they have a lot of great drafts and bottles!). Firebirds Wood Fired Grill is an upscale steakhouse located in the Millcreek Mall. I took Michael there for his birthday and while the prices were quite high, the meal was wonderful!

Last night after going to see Everest, we tried the u Pick Six Tap House again and while I didn't have my phone or camera with me, I will say that the beer braised onion burger was to die for! Michael had the Italian Boli which was also very good too.

I believe during or last visit we had the cordon bleu boli and a mushroom flat-bread pizza - both really tasty!

The only caveat for the Tap House is that this is more for adults than a family friendly place to bring kids. The Public House might be larger and more family friendly, but the Tap House is more like an adult bar/pub. I will have to check out the PH sometime and let everyone know how it is.

In the meantime, I will let the photos of our meal at Firebirds speak for themselves! :lover:

Edit: Forgot to mention the ridiculously cheap cost of the beer during Happy Hour (5-7 PM M-F) at U Pick 6 Tap House...one 8 oz glass of Stegmaier Cellar Series Grand Hoppa Imperial IPA and one pint of Duclaw Mad Bishop Oktoberfest set me back a whopping total of $6!!!! Michael got two bottles of Stella Artois and those set us back $4 apiece....so go with the drafts versus bottles if you are there drinking beer during Happy Hour!

Recommendation is to try and hit this place up during Happy Hour as they have 1/2 off specialty pizzas and flat-breads too!

U Pick 6

Firebirds

That is one of the most incredible looking steaks I've ever seen!

He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:21 pm

Keke's Breakfast Café outside of Universal Orlando (ok, a five minute drive from it). Best breakfast in Orlando!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:00 am

I'm at Highland Morning on Bardstown Road in Louisville Kentucky. About 15 minutes from Kentucky Kingdom and an amazing breakfast. Three words: Banana split grits.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:06 am

Just pointing this out:
When you're near SFSTL, go up the road a little and catch Lion's Choice. Best Roast Beef I ever had!
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby thedlr » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:11 am

Hey great thread! Bookmarking...

During our Dollywood trip in April, we really enjoyed Pottery House Cafe, but I'm sure that's been recommended before. Great food and service; plus I like that they text you when your table is ready, so you're free to wander the area.

If you're flying in to Knoxville TYS, just a few minutes up the highway is Sweet P's BBQ and Soul House. Awesome BBQ.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!