Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby SingleRiderCam » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Right outside of Legoland California across the I-5 freeway is Miguel's Cocina. It has some great Mexican food with some addictive queso dip with your tortilla chips.
Favorite Steel- 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 325 3.Twisted Colossus 4.Maverick 5.Storm Chaser
Favorite Wooden- 1.Lightning Rod 2.The Voyage 3.Phoenix 4.GhostRider 5.Mystic Timbers
Favorite Parks- 1.Disneyland 2.Dollywood 3.Epcot 4.Unviersal's Islands of Adventure 5.Busch Gardens Williamsburg

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Angle O. Descent » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:15 pm

coasterbill wrote:
tarheel1231 wrote:If your in Charlotte for Carowinds and you decide to go downtown, make sure to try Fuel's Pizza. It's so good!

You're not the first person from NC I've heard raving about this place but I have to admit I thought it was terrible. I don't mean to be a New York pizza snob but with very few exceptions pizza just isn't worth getting if you're not in the New York or Chicago (in the U.S.).

The only way to pull off Pizza outside of those areas seems to be to do something a little different. The problems is that everyone tries (and fails) to copy New York or Chicago Pizza instead of putting their own twist on it and they can't duplicate it. I don't know why, some people say it's the water... the elevation... whatever, but nobody can duplicate it.

The only Pizza I've ever had outside of the New York or Chicago area that I've enjoyed are Grotto Pizza in Delaware (it sucks in Pennsylavnia but it's great in Delaware). They put their own twist on it and it worked out great for them, and Cesari's at Knoebels. Cesari's is very much a NY style pizza but for some reason it's good anyway... probably because the food at Knoebels defies the laws of nature and is always amazing.

Are there any good country-fried chicken places anybody would recommend in the Carowinds area?

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby GwaziBSRider1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:35 pm

^^^ Since you're the Williamsburg local, Chuck, what is your opinion on Food for Thought? I really enjoyed eating there on my last visit.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Xcoaster » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:34 pm

As a disclaimer, I've been to most of these only once or twice...

Coney Island - Totonno's - 1524 Neptune Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totonno's
It's a short walk from the boardwalk at Coney Island. One of Scott's recommended pizzarias. Still the best pizza I've ever had (though it's hard to go wrong in New York).

SFMM - Rustic Eatery- 25343 Wayne Mills Pl, Valencia, CA 91355
Remarkably terrible name, but great Asian style sandwiches, salads, and plates. Also, beer. To get there, drive away from SFMM (always good advice) under the 5 freeway, and it'll be on your right. Pork belly sandwich...

Santa Monica Pacific Park - PierBurger - 330 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401
One of the few interesting food establishments on the pier. They have solid burgers and, best of all, actual Midwest-style thick frozen custard.

CGA - Smoking Pig BBQ - 1144 N 4th St, San Jose, CA 95112
Excellent BBQ with a nice selection of sauces, though it's about a 10-15 drive from the park.

On the subject of BBQ, is Pierce's still rib-less? I would often order their sampler plate (chicken, pork, ribs) but the last time I visited they'd replaced everything "rib" on the menu with "shank". While meatier and still tasty, I didn't think the shanks matched up in flavor. Alas...

Still on the subject of BBQ, I went to an amazing BBQ place after my first visit to SFFT, but I couldn't find it this last time. I seem to remember buying meat by the pound with seating outside at picnic tables. Anyone know where I'm talking about?

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:35 pm

GwaziBSRider1 wrote:^^^ Since you're the Williamsburg local, Chuck, what is your opinion on Food for Thought? I really enjoyed eating there on my last visit.

I haven't eaten there in a while, but it's pretty good, even if the menu isn't terribly exciting. For some reason, I just can't get into that place, but I don't object to eating there.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:59 pm

Xcoaster wrote:As a disclaimer, I've been to most of these only once or twice...

Coney Island - Totonno's - 1524 Neptune Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11224
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totonno's
It's a short walk from the boardwalk at Coney Island. One of Scott's recommended pizzarias. Still the best pizza I've ever had (though it's hard to go wrong in New York).

For anyone planning a trip, be aware Totonnos is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby no_brain_er » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:06 pm

If you're at SFOG and have some time to spare for lunch or dinner, The Vortex Bar and Grill, Fox Bros. BBQ, Wrecking Bar Brewpub and Little 5 Pizza are all in the Inman Park/Little 5 Points neighborhood, about 15 minutes east of the park on I-20. It's a bit of a drive, but the food is more than worth it.

Vortex is 21+ only (they I.D. everyone at the door), but they serve some of the best burgers I've ever had (I'd recommend the Rebel Outlaw or the Fat Elvis); Fox Bros. has been featured on multiple TV shows for their kick-ass barbecue; Wrecking Bar is an awesome brewery/pub with great food, and they do an all-vegetarian menu on Tuesdays for the meatless crowd; and Little 5 Pizza is just good, cheap pizza, plain and simple.
--Adam!--

I Love Donkeys!

Postby Jakemeister » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:29 am

For just Universal Orlando Resort I would recommend the locally owned chain of KeKe's.

KeKe's

They have absolutely delicious breakfast and I'm sure the other Orlando locals can agree with that statement. There is one in Dr. Phillips maybe 10 minutes from Universal with traffic, but probably closer to about 7 if you don't get caught by every light. It's honestly just really good and you're not going to be paying much more than Denny's, or IHOP. It ultimately is comparable to First Watch.

As far as dinner/late night Junior Colombian Burger is literally right across the street from Universal. It's just a little past Double Tree. For reference it is LITERALLY across from the McDonald's right by Universal. It has AMAZING burgers, fries and other fare. I highly recommend it and it's open really late. I don't think it closes till 4am.

Junior Colombian Burger

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby thepoint4life23 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:08 am

Not sure if this has been said or not but http matt and chets pizza right by Cedar Point is great and they have a buffet ://www.chetmattspizza.com/
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5749463e4331775e371e68621c381f92.jpg[/img][/url]

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Postby KBrylczyk » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:12 am

SingleRiderCam wrote:Right outside of Legoland California across the I-5 freeway is Miguel's Cocina. It has some great Mexican food with some addictive queso dip with your tortilla chips.

Naw, dude, it's all about Karl Strauss Brewery in SoCal. There's one that borders the Legoland property (in the business park). There's also one in CityWalk at USH, as well as few in San Diego and one in Temecula. If there's a Karl Strauss within a reasonable distance while I'm at a SoCal park you can bet that I'll be making the trip for dinner. The food is fresh and interesting, the menu changes every now and then, and the beers are incredible.

http://www.karlstrauss.com/
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!