Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Know any good local joints? Share them with us!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Good Eating Outside of Theme Parks

Postby Perilous Chris » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 am

When I went to Canada's Wonderland this summer, I stayed in the Richmond Hill area. There is a restaurant called Cora that only serves breakfast and lunch. They have some excellent breakfast options.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:57 am

I just updated the index in the first post--keep those recommendations coming, but be sure to follow the criteria (no national chains, please).

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:39 am

I'll add Portillo's to the list for Knott's Berry Farm. One of only two in CA of this famous Chicago chain happens to be in the Buena Park Mall right across from Knott's. Fantastic hot dogs! And fries! And shakes!

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:03 pm

For Playland's Castaway Cove: Clancy's by the Sea (1244 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ) http://oceancity.clancysrestaurantgroup.com/

I had sweet potato fries and a Reuben there for lunch, and both were fantastic. Not too expensive, really nice atmosphere, and when I went (end of June, mid day) I was literally the only customer in the restaurant, which was really weird and awesome.

To get there from the park, just travel about 1,000 feet west of the park on the boardwalk.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:06 pm

^Hmm--I'm intrigued by the "Tasty Chicken Pot Pie."

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Tanks4me05 wrote:For Playland's Castaway Cove: Clancy's by the Sea (1244 Boardwalk, Ocean City, NJ) http://oceancity.clancysrestaurantgroup.com/

I had sweet potato fries and a Reuben there for lunch, and both were fantastic. Not too expensive, really nice atmosphere, and when I went (end of June, mid day) I was literally the only customer in the restaurant, which was really weird and awesome.

To get there from the park, just travel about 1,000 feet west of the park on the boardwalk.

There is so much good food on the boardwalk that I never even thought about venturing off the boardwalk, maybe I'll try this place in the future.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby Tanks4me05 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:11 pm

^Perhaps you may be mistaken of its location, for it is still on the boardwalk; I was looking at all the colorful "stuff" along the waterfront, and there it was, about 1,000 feet west of the park.

EDIT: Now I see why you may be confused, for there are multiple Clancy's locations in the area.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby DanM64 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:12 am

Jew wrote:I'll add Portillo's to the list for Knott's Berry Farm. One of only two in CA of this famous Chicago chain happens to be in the Buena Park Mall right across from Knott's. Fantastic hot dogs! And fries! And shakes!

Sorry to get the thread off topic, but I HAD to step in! I LOVE Portillo's- I have nearly every Portillo's restaurant location credit minus the Cali ones and 2 of the newest ones here in Chicago. Their hot dogs are the best anywhere! In addition to the dogs, fries, and shakes as Joey mentioned. Also make sure to try the italian beef sandwich, and tell them you want it "dipped" in the beef gravy if you're eating in the restaurant- the soak the bun in the gravy and it makes it even better. If you're taking it to go order it with "extra gravy" and your bun will be thoroughly soaked by the time you get home In addition to the italian beef, the italian beef and sausage combo sandwich is also fantastic, and so are their tamales.

I now know where I'm going for lunch tomorrow, thanks a lot! :-P

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby 2012jarrett » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:01 pm

*For Busch Gardens Tampa, I'll throw in Skipper's Smokehouse. It's a restaurant built not in a restaurant, but a "hive" if you will of trailers laid end to end. There's a stage outside but you eat inside of a trailer. They serve seafood including local crawfish and gator tail.

I can haz gator tail!

*For Kings Island, there's a chain in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky tri-state called Skyline Chili. It's got some chili that some but not all care for. I describe it as "so nasty it's tasty" to people who've not eaten it. Their chili has a cinnamon taste to it, and some like it and some don't, but it's my favorite chili dog. And for Kings Islanders like myself, it's almost as much of a symbol of Kings Island as the Eiffel Tower or The Beast. Wikipedia says it's also in Florida, but it still remains mostly a regional thing. A lot of you might know about it, but if you didn't, check it out! I think there's one even inside of Kings Island!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/18ec287bb60672cae6c938cd59dddba3.jpg[/img][/url]

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:07 pm

OK, even though I can already hear Larry and other New Yorkers snickering about this one, I'm going to add it to the thread: the New York Deli and Pizza Restaurant in Lightfoot, Va. ;)

Yes, while I agree that nothing can really compete with an actual deli in New York, I've heard locals in Williamsburg raving about this place for some time--and it is pretty good. Their burgers are very nice, indeed, and I picked up a good sausage-and-mushroom pizza there today. The sandwiches I saw others enjoying also looked pretty tasty. A local friend of mine loves their gyros, and being as she's Greek, I reckon she knows of what she speaks.

They're open from 11:00 am to 10:00 pm, but closed on Mondays.

Directions from Busch Gardens Williamsburg:
Take I-64 West toward Richmond
Take the Rt. 199 Lightfoot exit.
Take the Lightfoot exit off of Rt. 199--turn left.
The New York Deli is on the right side of the road before you reach the Williamsburg Pottery.

NY Deil Front.jpg
The Deli used to be in a strip mall next door, but they moved into this building a few years ago. I think it used to be a Burger King.
NY Deil Side.jpg
Trust Lady Liberty.
NY Deil Pizza.jpg
Here's the pizza I'll be dining on for a few days (along with a green salad).
Last edited by cfc on Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:11 pm.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!