Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 4740: Cedar Points Nights 2019 details released!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 15 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Too Slow For Comfort

Re: Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:35 am

bert425 wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:
SharkTums wrote:^Great! Seriously, I can’t imagine going to CP and not staying on property if it’s not your local park! Even if I went once a year, I would stay on property. The convenience outweighs anything else including price.

I don't know, it takes 5-10 minutes or less to drive from an Airbnb in Sandusky to the park. If you have a Gold or Platinum Pass you get the same early entry as the hotel guests. You make rope drop as a non-hotel guest and you'll get very close parking. Walk to the hotel entrance. Not that many extra steps, and you get a much bigger and nicer placer to stay at a small fraction of the cost.

and when you want to make a quick stop at the room to change your shoes, or grab a snack, or get some sunscreen?
or take a nap, or use the pool/hottub?

WITHOUT having to walk to your car, move your car, and deal with finding a spot when you come back?

yeah. yer nuts, dude, and Elissa is correct.

I've found that with my experience traveling a lot and going to parks a ton, I have it down to a science. I pack very little when I go to a park for one thing, but I also need very little. For the enormous cost savings that I get with Airbnb, I can just buy what I need at the park in an absolute "oh crap" emergency, or just pack what I need. Sunscreen is easy to pack or buy. Sunglasses are easy to wear or put in my pockets. I generally try to avoid rides that get me soaked.

And oh yeah, you're also allowed to rent a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. I never do, but if paying for a $10 fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo will allow to save a ton of money and go with Airbnb, economically it makes sense.

And it takes a very minimal amount of time to drive to an Airbnb and back. The one we stayed at was less than three miles away, and there was no traffic. I'd only go back when the park was very crowded, so any time you'd waste would be during junk time when you couldn't get on much anyway. If the park was dead all day long, I'd take advantage of it, and just ride all time, and maybe even call it an earlier day and hit the bars early (not that there is much of a nightlife in Sandusky).

The last point brings me to another point -- I'd be a lot more likely to stay on site if there was a nightlife on the island. There's really only that TGIFrdays to my knowledge. Otherwise, you have to drive off site anywhere to get drinks, see live music, and party. If there was a "downtown Cedar Point" I'd be very tempted to stay at an on-site hotel.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 am

Different people travel in different ways and have different preferences. Some people like to take breaks and want the convenience of Breakers, some don't care (or they take their breaks at Famous Dave's in the marina... hi), some people like Airbnb, some people are sitting on a mountain of branded hotel points or they're chasing status (again, hi).

Nobody's going to change anybody's mind. Just do what you do.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby southpuddle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:35 am

A lot of the members here are poor college kids whose main focus is getting the cheapest room possible. I get that, I was that kid once. But once I grew up and started making some decent money, I decided to stay at Breakers, and have never looked back. It really completes the Cedar Point experience for me.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Pedrinho » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:48 am

^ & ^^

What both of you said, the mix of both, makes it round for me. When I was younger, I wanted to do as much as possible and I always looked for the cheapest possible was, just because I didn't have that much money to go for the full program. Now we earn our money, but we don't go that often on expensive vacations. But if we do, we want to go for all of it, even if that means we have to save money for another year before we do our trip.

As Bill said, everybody has to know what he wants and do that. But let's face the fact that the initial question was, what we, the community, would prefer for staying over night at Cedar Point, so there's no right or wrong, just a lot of different input for the questioner to make his own mind what's best.
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Monster; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:00 am

Yeah, I'm not saying that anyone's wrong for sharing their preferences but I feel like people are pretty set in their ways so they're generally not changing their minds especially since a lot of it has to do with budget (which is usually pretty fixed) and individual preferences when visiting a park (which are even more fixed).

For example: for us, we make good money (especially Brit) but we're saving for a house and a wedding (at the same time, yay) and the only reason we travel as much as we do is because whenever we make a payment towards the wedding we open a new credit card, charge exactly what we need to hit the bonus and in most cases throw it in a drawer (except for our few workhorse cards) that we use for everyday stuff. We almost never pay for flights or hotels.

Could we afford to stay at Breakers? Absolutely, but at this point in our lives I'd rather have Chase or Barclays pay for my room and throw the money I would have spent on Breakers into a high interest savings account for the house so Brit never feels the need to have the "Hey, maybe we should start acting like adults and stop traveling every month and riding roller coasters like a bunch of 8 year olds" conversation because I mean... if we were actually paying for this stuff she'd be right. :lol:

I get the Breakers argument though. The price point is reasonable for the amazing location. For some people it makes sense and for others (like us) it doesn't (right now... in a few years then I'll change my tune).

Postby bert425 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:48 am

I'd also factor in how often one goes to the park.

I do that with my home park (SFFT), I'll use flash pass as example instead of Hotel, since it's an afternoon drive so we don't stay overnight ever). I NEVER buy flash pass there, because I go often enough that if a line is too long, we either skip something to ride next time, or only ride it once. Knowing that we'll have plenty of opportunities to come back.

but that's not true of folks who only go to the park once every 5 years, or have never been before. I totally get why someone would want to purchase Flash pass if it's their rare time at the park.

same way I feel about staying onsite.

so yeah, it might not be coming across that way, but I'm agreeing with southpuddle, bill, and others.

as to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside), and they have been doing Neon Party on the beach (at least they were when I was there this summer) with tons of activities on the beach until ~11pm.

I felt no need to leave the peninsula to party when I was there (heck, had a hard time staying up to hang in the bar after full days in the park anyways). Not sure CP feels a need to add any further "nightlife" just due to some folks experiencing like I do?
IMG_5469.JPG
IMG_5494.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby coasterbill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am

bert425 wrote:As to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside)

Call me old, but I can roll with that. Actually it sounds f*cking perfect after walking around in the sun all day. :lol:

Postby bert425 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:01 am

coasterbill wrote:
bert425 wrote:As to Breaker's "nightlife" - they have a bar (Surf Bar, yes separate from TGI Fridays), that serves until 2am (and serves to both the firepits and the hot tubs outside)

Call me old, but I can roll with that. Actually it sounds f*cking perfect after walking around in the sun all day. :lol:

yep. . LOL. that's what Bill (Nrthwnd) and I did a couple of years ago.

and this past visit (as part of TPR USA trip), James and I were in hot tub when waitress asked us if we wanted anything, and when I asked, she confirmed for me that drinks would come from Surf bar, and NOT from TGI Fridays :)
IMG_1781.JPG
sitting in Rotunda in early afternoon (waiting to meet up with Liz (TBpony).

got my drink at Surf Bar, and sat on sofa just outside bar area.
IMG_1783.JPG
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Too Slow For Comfort

Postby Too Fast For Comfort » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 am

southpuddle wrote:A lot of the members here are poor college kids whose main focus is getting the cheapest room possible. I get that, I was that kid once. But once I grew up and started making some decent money, I decided to stay at Breakers, and have never looked back. It really completes the Cedar Point experience for me.

I totally agree that there's no one right or wrong way to do it. It comes down to preference. I was just pointing out that my way makes a lot of sense too. And I'm actually a relatively affluent young professional, but I'm just cheap on travel because I do it so much. I fly about 10-15 times a year -- not including work trips. If I was staying at fancy hotels every single time I would go broke. When I do coaster road/flight trips, my main focus is production -- getting in and out efficiently and getting a ton of rides in cheaply.

I think that a lot of people who splurge and treat themselves when they travel are people who only travel a few times a year. Not saying that any of you are like that -- this is a board for people who go to a ton of parks across the country afterall -- or that there's anything wrong with traveling less but treating yourself when you do. Just personal preferences.

But I do appreciate people who stay on site, and I hope that more people do. I'd like to see CP become a park that has an extensive resort that has a lot of options. As I was saying before, if the grounds became more intricate and elaborate its something I could see myself spending the extra money to do.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Satans Hockey » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am

I've been to Cedar Point a bunch of times and normally stay off site but we did hotel breakers the last time and it was really a great time even with the higher price. I don't know if I would do it every time but if the price is somewhat reasonable I would. It was awesome to be able to go to the park, water park and beach all by walking a few minutes.

We grabbed a few drinks at the one bar just to get some of the Steel Vengeance cups but for the most part we just stocked up the fridge with liquor/beer so we could fill our cooler and take it to the beach and relax and just keep refilling our cups.
Screenshot_20190118-120910.jpg

PreviousNext