The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

P. 5296 - West Coast Racers Coming in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain
User avatar
 
Posts: 7156
Joined: 10 Feb 2014
Location: Philthadelphia
Gender: None specified

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby boldikus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:06 am

coaster_cliff wrote:That is indeed the case. The swinging motor failed on Tuesday, January 8th in the middle of a cycle. This left the frisbee full of passengers free-swinging for about 20 min until it finally lost momentum and came to a halt.

Best frisbee ride ever?

Online
If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!
User avatar
 
Posts: 982
Joined: 15 Oct 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Gender: Male

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby anonymouscactus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:38 am

As a ride op, I would think the first gut reaction when there is a big loud noise or something went wrong is to hit the E-Etop. This generally cuts power to components of the ride and I would think some sort of brake on a pendulum at 70mph that can't adjust wouldn't be a good idea. I'm not an expert by any means but it does make sense if there is something mechanically catastrophic happening. E-stops aren't meant to put the ride back in it's original position. In this case even if the motor was working, it would have likely coasted to a stop. Roller coasters will stop at the next block, but they are made to be long enough for it to come to a complete stop, albeit pretty abrupt in some cases.

I'm curious if there are any other frisbee type rides that do have some sort of brake with the E-Stop. I know on a swinging ship ride I encountered there are similar results, so generally if you need to stop the ride immediately you would want to stop the ride early vs cut power to it. Unless something really bad is happening where you need to cut power. If someone needs to get off the ride immediately because they are injured or get hit by a seagull Fabio style on Crazanity or whatever, hitting the E-Stop would be a fail even though that might be the gut reaction.

This can also cause problems when you are a supervisor walking by at the park, spot something extremely wrong, and run to the ride and hit the E-Stop without being properly trained on the ride. People without proper training, even a ride supervisor, maybe shouldn't be touching the control panel even in an emergency. And guests on the sidelines who are yelling at you to hit the E-Stop.

Image

Obviously depends on the situation...

Ah the good old days.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 6935
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 34

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:59 am

boldikus wrote:
coaster_cliff wrote:That is indeed the case. The swinging motor failed on Tuesday, January 8th in the middle of a cycle. This left the frisbee full of passengers free-swinging for about 20 min until it finally lost momentum and came to a halt.

Best frisbee ride ever?

I know, right? Nobody's in danger as long as the restraints are good, so enjoy it!
Image

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!
 
Posts: 194
Joined: 04 Jun 2018
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Gender: None specified
Age: 27

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Twistedtatsu805 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:50 pm

Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 27 May 2007
Location: Central NJ native; Northern DE resident.
Gender: None specified
Age: 36

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:38 pm

Twistedtatsu805 wrote:Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!


You're crazy. Running the ride LESS will not wear out an electrical motor faster. And how would someone taking their phone out in any way affect the machinery?
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

What would donkeys be like on the moon?
 
Posts: 237
Joined: 19 Jan 2019
Location: Aurora, IL
Gender: Male
Age: 15

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby jlp94 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Twistedtatsu805 wrote:Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!

Exactly right. Going along with good ideas, you should take 101 and 23 to the park
Image

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!
User avatar
 
Posts: 979
Joined: 30 Nov 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Gender: Male
Age: 26

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby joelwee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:48 pm

Mike240SX wrote:
Twistedtatsu805 wrote:Call me crazy, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the motor failed because of them shortening the ride cycle/ending it early because of crowds or someone taking their phone out on the ride. Either way, I just saw footage of it testing today on Instagram, so hopefully it will reopen soon!


You're crazy. Running the ride LESS will not wear out an electrical motor faster. And how would someone taking their phone out in any way affect the machinery?

As is the case with any motor, shorter cycles would cause more wear and tear due to more frequent heating and cooling, as well as various components being placed under a heavier load when the motor is accelerating and decelerating/braking the pendulum - as opposed to running at a constant speed.
The ride ops stop the ride when they see someone take their phone out - thus causing more acceleration/deceleration wear and tear than there otherwise would have been if the ride was able to keep going.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Image
Seat, don't fail me now!

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!
 
Posts: 115
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Gender: None specified

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby TexasParkman » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:42 pm

If I am not mistaken- SFOT's motor cratered as well......sounds like a design flaw that will be corrected. These are "fairly" new models.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.
 
Posts: 597
Joined: 03 Jul 2013
Gender: Male
Age: 24

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby TNT » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:24 pm

joelwee wrote:As is the case with any motor, shorter cycles would cause more wear and tear due to more frequent heating and cooling, as well as various components being placed under a heavier load when the motor is accelerating and decelerating/braking the pendulum - as opposed to running at a constant speed.
The ride ops stop the ride when they see someone take their phone out - thus causing more acceleration/deceleration wear and tear than there otherwise would have been if the ride was able to keep going.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I disagree, shortening the ride cycle would actually lower the temperature of the motors. Each time the pendulum changes direction so does the motors. During the direction change the magnetic fields in the motors will collapse as the drives slows the motors in preparation for the direction change. When the drives begins turning the motors the other direction, the motors will draw a lot of current (in-rush current) in order to recreate the magnetic fields lost during the direction change. With each direction change the motor temperature will increase as a result of the in-rush current. By decreasing the number of swings the motors won't get as hot.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"
 
Posts: 477
Joined: 27 May 2007
Location: Central NJ native; Northern DE resident.
Gender: None specified
Age: 36

Re: The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Postby Mike240SX » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:33 pm

TNT wrote:
joelwee wrote:As is the case with any motor, shorter cycles would cause more wear and tear due to more frequent heating and cooling, as well as various components being placed under a heavier load when the motor is accelerating and decelerating/braking the pendulum - as opposed to running at a constant speed.
The ride ops stop the ride when they see someone take their phone out - thus causing more acceleration/deceleration wear and tear than there otherwise would have been if the ride was able to keep going.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I disagree, shortening the ride cycle would actually lower the temperature of the motors. Each time the pendulum changes direction so does the motors. During the direction change the magnetic fields in the motors will collapse as the drives slows the motors in preparation for the direction change. When the drives begins turning the motors the other direction, the motors will draw a lot of current (in-rush current) in order to recreate the magnetic fields lost during the direction change. With each direction change the motor temperature will increase as a result of the in-rush current. By decreasing the number of swings the motors won't get as hot.


Thanks for the backup. At least someone else knows how electric motors work LOL.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 133
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

PreviousNext